Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

As I've said - this is not as straightforward as other fronts that have piled into Wales and deposited loads of snow - the low centre is south of us - just below England's south coast/cornwall - and it's "arms" of fronts are spiralling out around it - the front over wales now appears to be moving west - but all the while the low centre is shifting north east - this means it will drag it's precip/fronts (including the one over us now) north and east eventually - so the "front" we can see now may well reach say Swansea etc but it'll then be dragged further north and east - + dragging colder air from the west with it - still some potential for snow!

Posted

the mountains around me are white and it is snowing heavy as i write but it has been rain sleet and snow down at groung level and everything is soaking wet so it would take quite a lot of heavy snow to make it stick, and it feels way to mild for it to snow at this time. but maybe it will get colder as the day goes on. fingers crossed lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Rain and sleet here

Posted

Dry here Derek said dry for us ,net weather heavy rain and metcheck heavy snow ??? :whistling: :lol:

Posted

Dry here Derek said dry for us ,net weather heavy rain and metcheck heavy snow ??? pardon.gifpardon.gif

I think Derek's had a bad week - 1st he lined up on live tv last friday night in a kilt in Glynneath RFC and some scottish geezer dropped his kilt showing all his bitsblush.gif

Then the other day - monday I think - he mentioned thursday when he really should have said wednesday - which is what his computer graphics were showingcrazy.gif

Then yesterday - he admitted that he'd got the forecast wrong when we had snow yesterday morning and last night as well his computer graphics had broken downwallbash.gif

I'm not a big fan of Metcheck myself - they have a tendency to flip flop there forecasts too much

Edited by andymusic

Posted

WOOHOOO HEAVY SNOW WARNING!

There you go Jay - told you to hang on in there mate

10cm = 4inches of snow - should be good

Edited by andymusic

Posted

gmtv just showed rain for some parts of wales this morn and then turing to snow this afternoon, but i have seen this sort of weather up here many times,and it norm goes like this rain down bridgend and sleet in ogmore vale, wet snow in nantymoel and then from mid bwlch mountain it turns to snow with top of bwlch getting blocked with very heavy dryish snow.

and from what i have seen this morn with this happening unless temps drop dramatic i dont see any diff to be honest and as i said everywhere is wet now.

Posted

Predictions please

Leaving Caerphilly to head to Carmarthen then back to Llanelli. Home for 4 then out with customers tonight in Newport for a curry.

What you reckon my chances are?

Posted

gmtv just showed rain for some parts of wales this morn and then turing to snow this afternoon, but i have seen this sort of weather up here many times,and it norm goes like this rain down bridgend and sleet in ogmore vale, wet snow in nantymoel and then from mid bwlch mountain it turns to snow with top of bwlch getting blocked with very heavy dryish snow.

and from what i have seen this morn with this happening unless temps drop dramatic i dont see any diff to be honest and as i said everywhere is wet now.

snowing quite a bit here now - it's not quite gonna work out like that I think - the swirling low is dragging in colder air behind it - which will aid snow producing to lower levels

Posted

Predictions please

Leaving Caerphilly to head to Carmarthen then back to Llanelli. Home for 4 then out with customers tonight in Newport for a curry.

What you reckon my chances are?

you'll see plenty of snow in eastern wales - not so much llanelli/carmarthen - not sure it'll be disruptive on the roads - as it's falling during the day - depends how heavy and constantly heavy it is

Rain here like usual lol.

colder air and heavier precip will get to you Jay - reason for warning after 10.30am

It's still not settling here yet - but moderately snowing here - won't take much though

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Well its dry here b ut very cold and cloudy

Posted

I have a (not calibrated) thermometer with the end bit sticking out the window and the temperature shown has been varying between 3.3 and 3.1, up and down since I got to work. Obviously it's not very accurate (as all the heat from in the office gets out the window) but it's not showing any dropping.

Still low cloud and rain here in Nantgarw.

And lots of people saying "oh it's too wet for any snow / snow to stick". So I referred to the last time someone said that and then had to walk home, lol.

Posted

wet here now with a mix of rain sleet and snow in the heavier stuff

Posted

I have a (not calibrated) thermometer with the end bit sticking out the window and the temperature shown has been varying between 3.3 and 3.1, up and down since I got to work. Obviously it's not very accurate (as all the heat from in the office gets out the window) but it's not showing any dropping.

Still low cloud and rain here in Nantgarw.

And lots of people saying "oh it's too wet for any snow / snow to stick". So I referred to the last time someone said that and then had to walk home, lol.

snowing here Joo - quite a bit too - warning from meto is for after 10.30am when heavier precip arrives and temps start to decrease a little - I'll keep you posted as and when it starts to settle up here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Snowing across heads of valley and black rock. Not much in Merthyr itself.

Yet again it may not look too much here but back home could be terrible. Will Keep an eye on traffic wales cameras

Posted

Heavyish snow here now - white out over senghenydd mountain which suggests to me that accumulation of snow is occurring somewhere around 300m right now - but that'll lower as the morning progresses

Snowing across heads of valley and black rock. Not much in Merthyr itself.

Yet again it may not look too much here but back home could be terrible. Will Keep an eye on traffic wales cameras

Abergavenny is only just starting to get precip according to me radars - but Abergavenny is right in the firing line for the rest of today sooooo I would keep an eye on things if I were you - could be a dodgy journey home

Posted

Tending to be more snow here now, but the flakes are small

Temperature on Mumbles dropped from 3.4 °C to 2.3 °C in the last hour, it was 4.3 °C at 3am

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Heavyish snow here now - white out over senghenydd mountain which suggests to me that accumulation of snow is occurring somewhere around 300m right now - but that'll lower as the morning progresses

Abergavenny is only just starting to get precip according to me radars - but Abergavenny is right in the firing line for the rest of today sooooo I would keep an eye on things if I were you - could be a dodgy journey home

Yeah. Looking at the radar, that monster over Bath looks like its head straight for home.

It's always a bi*ch trying to convince my boss that i need to go home when there ain't much happening here.

Posted

Yeah. Looking at the radar, that monster over Bath looks like its head straight for home.

It's always a bi*ch trying to convince my boss that i need to go home when there ain't much happening here.

well I think I can safely say that both Merthyr and Abergavenny may well get quite a bit of snow so you may not have to convince the boss too much if things do get really bad - warnings from meto start after 10.30am and go on till 9pm tonight

Snow Gods seem to be smiling on Wales - we won't have to wait long after todays snow - friday night into saturday morning this time and starting in west Wales for most of Wales according to the latest GFS 06z - cold upper -5 air well in by then as well - and as it's over night - better conditions for lower altitudes

Me Thinks SLEDGES AT THE READY FOR SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!