Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

reef

He was browsing about 30 minutes ago. Anyway for the snow starved members in here.....

post-2849-12698968344355_thumb.jpg post-2849-12698968495355_thumb.jpg

Foamy snow! That's what it's like here too, although I'm not likely to be allowed out to take photos :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Well what's the BBC forecast about and why is enniskillen and Glasgow getting snow

Enniskillen is much further inland and probably around 100km from you, Glasgow is in a separate country so not great for a comparison!

The BBC forecasts aren't exactly the most reliable. Better off checking the various models yourself to see what's going to happen.

Posted

Foamy snow! That's what it's like here too, although I'm not likely to be allowed out to take photos :rolleyes:

Lamppost out front has a nice inch from top to bottom on the side of it!!!

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Enniskillen is much further inland and probably around 100km from you, Glasgow is in a separate country so not great for a comparison!

The BBC forecasts aren't exactly the most reliable. Better off checking the various models yourself to see what's going to happen.

Ugh stop depressing me!! I already have to look at other people posting snow pics and not be jealous.. And it's ment to snow tomorrow and utll probably be f'in downgraded!

Well what's the BBC forecast about and why is enniskillen and Glasgow getting snow

The Met-O don't forecast snow for you tonight, you're not high enough up :rolleyes:

Persistent rain will become heavy at times this evening and overnight with 15mm rain totals falling within 3 hour periods. Across Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry and North Antrim over upland areas the rain will turn to snow with some heavy snowfalls developing on ground above 150 metres. Accumulations of 15cm snow will develop in places and perhaps 30cm over the highest ground with drifting.

This weather event will extend beyond this period with an update expected to be issued on Tuesday morning.

From: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Because its cold enough for snow in Enniskillen and Glasgow and not Coleraine. They are both well inland you'll notice where as your on the coast.

Lamppost out front has a nice inch from top to bottom on the side of it!!!

Lamp-post snakes again? Still coming down here, no weather warning so I suppose it must be going off soon? :rolleyes::good:

Posted

Ugh stop depressing me!! I already have to look at other people posting snow pics and not be jealous.. And it's ment to snow tomorrow and utll probably be f'in downgraded!

Don't worry, you can join my no-snow club :(

Was snowing earlier, but turned to rain (although looking little more like sleet) and has washed it all away...  :rolleyes:

I suppose if we do see anything through the night, it'll be a bonus, but I'm become more cynical by the minute  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Don't worry, you can join my no-snow club sad.gif

Was snowing earlier, but turned to rain (although looking little more like sleet) and has washed it all away... cray.gif

I suppose if we do see anything through the night, it'll be a bonus, but I'm become more cynical by the minute laugh.gif

It's late March - can we possibly whinge about missing out on lying snow after the clocks have changed? We will, since many other parts of Scotland are getting snow, but really, it's been such a good winter that this cannot be taken as anything other than a bonus. Had it followed 06/07 I'd be a bit more upset but really it has followed a good winter and also the snow is meant to reach lower levels e.g. Edinburgh by tomorrow evening so not all hope is lost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Shannon airport now reporting snow now. Temperatures dropping close to 0 across much of the west and north of Ireland now.

Posted

The Met-O don't forecast snow for you tonight, you're not high enough up :rolleyes:

From: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Yea it shows snow from early hours and enniskillen is only 1c below

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

He was browsing about 30 minutes ago. Anyway for the snow starved members in here.....

post-2849-12698968344355_thumb.jpg post-2849-12698968495355_thumb.jpg

Those are some very cool pictures with the whole area caked in a blanket of snow. And now, I'm going to teleport myself to Scotland and take away all your snow from your garden. And never to be seen ever again!diablo.gif

Edit: Or maybe, I'll just stay home instead (darn that teleportion machine; it's broken). sad.gif

Posted

Shannon airport now reporting snow now. Temperatures dropping close to 0 across much of the west and north of Ireland now.

Omg lol I swear every place is getting snow now!

Posted

The BBC forecasts for precipitation are notorious for doing about u turns and showing intense precipitation in locations where only a few miles away there is none. I have been looking at there forecasts for tomorrow, they show an intense band of rain/snow over north cumbria slicing the county in half with nothing in the south - in this respect they look very inaccurate. They also show blobs of white right on the coast whereas inland there is rain.. they could be so much more sophisticated at the regional level, at the national level they tend to be more accurate, however, they are prone to changes in very short timescales.

Posted

It's late March - can we possibly whinge about missing out on lying snow after the clocks have changed? We will, since many other parts of Scotland are getting snow, but really, it's been such a good winter that this cannot be taken as anything other than a bonus. Had it followed 06/07 I'd be a bit more upset but really it has followed a good winter and also the snow is meant to reach lower levels e.g. Edinburgh by tomorrow evening so not all hope is lost.

That's actually a very good point... Think I'll stop whining and sit and wait patiently :good:

Been a good winter for us, so I can't complain  :rolleyes:

Posted

Sorry Frostyjoe, but as they say good things come to those that wait..... or is that from a larger advert! whistling.gif

About 2" and still belting down! Of to watch Mythbusters so will tease you all again later. crazy.gif

Posted

@snowmess: True. There's still time for more snow shields to break.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Aye, you've been unlucky recently LS. Latest Beeb forecast going for snow really starting to build by tomorrow night...

Posted

Lamp-post snakes again? Still coming down here, no weather warning so I suppose it must be going off soon? :rolleyes::good:

Not a snake per say but a bloody big boa! rofl.gif

Sorry Frostyjoe, but as they say good things come to those that wait..... or is that from a larger advert! whistling.gif

About 2" and still belting down! Of to watch Mythbusters so will tease you all again later. crazy.gif

You'll not be teasing me, just comparing depth of snow :rolleyes:

I'm surprised by this snow as I'm not at altitude and not within the warning areas of the Met-O. It's either going to stop or it's a wee miracle :good:

Not a snake per say but a bloody big boa! rofl.gif

Who is Percy?

Posted

well its 2c and dropping and theres rain and bits of ice in it... i cant really see the velux tbh... idk.. what does sleet look like.. rain with ice in it??? i know what snow wet snow etc looks like sleet is just confusing... oh and salter just went by..

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

You'll not be teasing me, just comparing depth of snow :rolleyes:

I'm surprised by this snow as I'm not at altitude and not within the warning areas of the Met-O. It's either going to stop or it's a wee miracle :good:

Who is Percy?

I'm in the warning so was expecting a washout! whistling.gif

Percy is the snow lamppost snake!! pardon.gif

well its 2c and dropping and theres rain and bits of ice in it... i cant really see the velux tbh... idk.. what does sleet look like.. rain with ice in it??? i know what snow wet snow etc looks like sleet is just confusing... oh and salter just went by..

Salter? Gritter? not seen one of them in weeks!

I'm in the warning so was expecting a washout! whistling.gif

Percy is the snow lamppost snake!! pardon.gif

Percy the snake! I love it. That's one to remember for next winter: "I've got a Percy on the lamp-post". Anyway, I wonder who will be next to hit TOORP level 5??

Posted

Sleet usually refers to a mixture of snowflakes and raindrops (although in the US, sleet refers to snow grapuals/ice pellets).

I can see why it would be confusing, though.

Edit: Reply from frostyjoe's post.

Edited by Rainbow Snow