Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Atlantic Current Is Gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just because someone is a scientots doesn't mean he's right about everything. Just ask Einstein!

Essan are you drinking? what the hell is a scientots! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

he is on the talisker:drinks:Maybe its a bitty strong........... :drunk:

Do you not know what a scientot is Blitzen?

scientots are baby scientists! We grow them in specially prepared cells called the science classroom.

Posted

he is on the talisker:drinks:Maybe its a bitty strong........... :drunk:

Do you not know what a scientot is Blitzen?

scientots are baby scientists! We grow them in specially prepared cells called the science classroom.

:lol: Good answer!.... Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is 'quaternary environmental change?'

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Weather Eater Richard and Blitzen its great chatting to you all too!:drinks: Keeps my mummy brain ticking over nicely!

Thank you too. Doesn’t matter who agrees or disagrees in the debate its all good banter, and lets face it, nobody except us gives a hoot for what we think, so there should be no need for major fallings out.

:lol: Good answer!.... Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is 'quaternary environmental change?'

http://www.science.ulster.ac.uk/esri/Quaternary-Environmental-Change,66.html#page=introduction

This by the look of it, pretty interesting stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Spot on Weather Eater, I did mine at the University of Stirling, It was a really brilliant course, practical hands on (getting very dirty, didnt realise taking sample of peat core could get you so messy! I loved every lecture, I even loved doing my assignments, which I got a 1st class honours in.... Im proud of that I worked very hard.

You are quite right it is a very healthy banter in here....

Even if Essan has drank too much Talisker.:whistling:

Posted

Spot on Weather Eater, I did mine at the University of Stirling, It was a really brilliant course, practical hands on (getting very dirty, didnt realise taking sample of peat core could get you so messy! I loved every lecture, I even loved doing my assignments, which I got a 1st class honours in.... Im proud of that I worked very hard.

You are quite right it is a very healthy banter in here....

Even if Essan has drank too much Talisker.:whistling:

Oh I say! Bet that was interesting! So you would be analysing core samples and identifying all those prehistoric bugs and extinct plant life etc that came and went with climate changes? You must be a natural cycle believer too then.

Posted

Hi Blitzen, I’m not saying that there is absolutely no chance that this is happening, but I think it highly unlikely that all those people are keeping their mouths shut for the reasons you have stated. After all how mega smart are the individuals who dare to present this as scientific fact going to look, when their observations are proven correct.

Being open minded is one thing and I'm not so closed to the idea that I think its impossible. However its one thing being open minded and its another to being so open minded that your brains dribble out of your ear. I do fear that maybe one or two on this thread are letting that happen (not yourself I hasten to add). It seems for some to be a case of, I want it to be true, so it must be true. Still as I said earlier its doing no harm and it does throw up some interesting facts and figures as well as having a good chat with some nice people.

:lol:

Posted

Oh I say! Bet that was interesting! So you would be analysing core samples and identifying all those prehistoric bugs and extinct plant life etc that came and went with climate changes? You must be a natural cycle believer too then.

the core samples were for looking at radiocarbon dating, pollen and sediment analysis... it was a long time ago I graduated in 1996!

Ive had four children since then and my brains are scrambled!

eggs anyone...

Posted

the core samples were for looking at radiocarbon dating, pollen and sediment analysis... it was a long time ago I graduated in 1996!

Ive had four children since then and my brains are scrambled!

eggs anyone...

I remember that feeling! Ive got two but they have left the nest now. Still pruning and feeding the adult male of the species tho'!

Posted

Perhaps we shouldn’t rush to snap judgments. (i know, showing my naivity here)

• The Atlantic Heat Conveyor (within which the Gulf Stream plays a role) helps to maintain relatively mild temperatures in north-west Europe. Some observations suggest that the Atlantic Heat Conveyor has reduced in strength by up to 30% since the early 1990s. More data are needed to distinguish this trend from natural variability, which has recently been shown to be large on a day-to-day basis.
  • It is very likely that the Atlantic Heat Conveyor will slow during this century, but not sufficiently to completely offset warming across the UK.
  • There is considered to be less than a 10% chance of a collapse of the Atlantic Heat Conveyor this century.

You can download the review.

http://www.mccip.org...t-conveyor.aspx

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Thank you weathership for that... interesting read. I saw the low confidence in the findings of the review suggesting gaps in the data/ and low significance tesing findings. I still think that a slow down is probably the most likely cause of changes in our weather over the past 18 months. This can be as suggested down to natural variability (the scientists get out of clause phrase!):whistling: . Qualitative and quantative evidence seems to support this, if those maps from the NAOO are to be believed.

That 10% chance of complete shutdown is a very liberal figure.... I still think shut down is unlikely as it would take the entire north pole icecap to melt for that to happen. I think movement away from the present position is more likely.

For something so important to fishery and transport, Im surprised there isnt more research done on this topic of interest.... hmmm wonder why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Very Young Einstein???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Thank you weathership for that... interesting read. I saw the low confidence in the findings of the review suggesting gaps in the data/ and low significance tesing findings. I still think that a slow down is probably the most likely cause of changes in our weather over the past 18 months. This can be as suggested down to natural variability (the scientists get out of clause phrase!):whistling: . Qualitative and quantative evidence seems to support this, if those maps from the NAOO are to be believed.

That 10% chance of complete shutdown is a very liberal figure.... I still think shut down is unlikely as it would take the entire north pole icecap to melt for that to happen. I think movement away from the present position is more likely.

For something so important to fishery and transport, Im surprised there isnt more research done on this topic of interest.... hmmm wonder why?

Somehow I don't think the salt/fresh water ratios are the driving force behind any of this decline. I am not sure what is but I don't think it is that. What we need to remember is this Earth has been in existence without us for millions and millions of years. We have only been recording data to any acurate level in the last few decades. Who is to say this is not some way of the earth/nature providing a balance to our climate? The simple answer is we do not really know what is happening, why it is happening and what the implications will be.

I believe it is a new product in the Rowntrees range. Small scientists in a jelly sugar encrusted form. That is what you call diversification. Good job Rowntrees

Posted

The North Brazilian Current looks considerably weaker than it did a couple of weeks ago!

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/ofs/viewer.shtml?-natl-cur-0-small-rundate=latest

Posted

Thought that was obvious. Scien_tot. A small glass of Teachers :lol:

(can't afford the Talisker)

Edited by Essan

Posted

A small glass? You gibbering idiot!! :lol:

Edited by Blitzen

If the N A C is weak do you think it could mean less weather from the atlantic.

I wonder if it been weaker means the jet will go more to the south and the polar jet will be over uk a lot more then normal

seems to look more like that now and the polar jet is the strongest jet there is and it gains more power in winter

Just seems odd the weather here in Dublin Ireland seems more like late nov then oct to me

Posted

If the N A C is weak do you think it could mean less weather from the atlantic.

I wonder if it been weaker means the jet will go more to the south and the polar jet will be over uk a lot more then normal

seems to look more like that now and the polar jet is the strongest jet there is and it gains more power in winter

Just seems odd the weather here in Dublin Ireland seems more like late nov then oct to me

I have read links that imply that the jet interacts and meanders with the stream (I can post them if you like) therefore it should follow that in the event of a weakened current the jet would go south. It seems to tie in with the tendency this year of a southerly tracking jet.

Posted

Ive heard of a toddy but not a totty!

I see ukweathergeek has posted his doomsday scenario on U tube:whistling:

what next!

I have read links that imply that the jet interacts and meanders with the stream (I can post them if you like) therefore it should follow that in the event of a weakened current the jet would go south. It seems to tie in with the tendency this year of a southerly tracking jet.

yes plz post the links

thanks blitzen

Posted

yes plz post the links

thanks blitzen

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080320181838.htm

Hope this one is okay for now. Will post other one when I can find it.

Can't seem to find the other link at the moment JCJ but this is an informative read (if you haven't already read it)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

http://polar.ncep.no...-rundate=latest

Gulf Stream still very weak. Not only that but many other ocean currents have either vanished or are greatly weakened. I am sure there are short term variations in the speed of the stream but surely nothing of this magnitude.

http://i82.photobuck...urr20090820.png Last year

We need a new thread on this which focuses on just facts without linking to people like the Earl of Sterling!!

Edited by eyeofthestorm

Posted

http://polar.ncep.no...-rundate=latest

Gulf Stream still very weak. Not only that but many other ocean currents have either vanished or are greatly weakened. I am sure there are short term variations in the speed of the stream but surely nothing of this magnitude.

http://i82.photobuck...urr20090820.png Last year

We need a new thread on this which focuses on just facts without linking to people like the Earl of Sterling!!!!

I agree, I have been keeping an eye on this ever since this discussion started. Something is happeining to the ocean currents, but the question is 'why'?, and what could be the effects of this happening?...or are we seeing this already (super typhoon megi?)

This is quite interseting too;-http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Melted ice causing freshwater in the ocean changing the salty mixture, as warming causes ice melt it affects the gulf stream that disrupts north europe and the uk's weather patterns, in turn with other cold factors these parts turn colder. The scientists know somethings wrong but they won't be heard like the global warming scientists, but why? a reason being GW is happening but minis our quarter, thats three quarters to GW and one quarter to the ice age zone. global warming is making some cooling!

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

I disagree and agree, I have been keeping an eye on this ever since this discussion started. Something is happeining to the ocean currents, but the question is 'why'?, and what could be the effects of this happening?...or are we seeing this already (super typhoon megi?)

This is quite interseting too;-http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/

btw meg my sister reckons this winter will be real cold around -10 farenheit with snow up to an almighty 100ft and i reckon he i mean she is right, we need this and we are going to get it around 5th november it will be -2 and getting cold i can sense the adrenlaine guys, i feel a poo.hehe

btw anyone watch x factor cher to win

shes everything that is in the music industry

she has a nice ring to it eh? we are in for the long haul

im glad she chose cher over gamu, cheryl knew about the autotuning and saw right through gamu and chose cher. i did sit up in my armchair when it happenedand thought exaxtly same

okay....

OT i do think we will get cold but really not that bad, meg is obviously lying to you.

I see it has got weaker shockingly enough which i wouldnt expect.

Edited by snowlover2009