Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted

Looking forward to seeing the Larkhill accent soon.

Does anyone have a link for real time weather data including dew points across the UK? It would be appreciated. The Met office only seem to show temperatures unless I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks.

Edited by dave48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

If I could 'gift' a storm, it would be to Stuart and Jane Louise! :lol:

Awww, thanks Coast lol. I'm still going to remain optimistic. Tomorrows looking even better :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Awww, thanks Coast lol. I'm still going to remain optimistic. Tomorrows looking even better :lol:

LOL you Chelt lot get plenty hehehe

Every year i watch from a distance in glos storms skirting me and going over chelt.. EVERY YEAR!

Last year i must of counted a few dozen and yet not a single one was close enough to me to even see the lightning, Yet friends in chelt say they had loads..

:shakesfist: ;)

Hopefully we all will see plenty this year!

Posted

LOL you Chelt lot get plenty hehehe

Every year i watch from a distance in glos storms skirting me and going over chelt.. EVERY YEAR!

Last year i must of counted a few dozen and yet not a single one was close enough to me to even see the lightning, Yet friends in chelt say they had loads..

:shakesfist: ;)

Hopefully we all will see plenty this year!

Lol Lynxus,

Cheltenham does get them but not me lol. Dogs and my daughter are the ones who nick them grrrrrr. Always so close yet so far in my case.

Dew point on my weather Station showing at 12.0 and pressure is falling quite rapidly. Rain also showing.We'll see :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, for the west midlands, the visual signs are better, streams of Ac Cas, depicting some mid-level instability, in fact it's the first clouds I've seen in 4 days!....Dew points should be on the rise, as it's definitely feeling more humid than previous days

Posted

I am not really seeing a strong forcing mechanism either today or tomorrow. Tomorrow there is perhaps a chance of some low level wind convergence from east anglia across Merseyside and around the London area, but that may not coincide with the best low level moisture pooling. Orographic lifting could play a part especially across Wales or even heat island affects over big cities. Not really convinced yet.

Posted

Am liking the fact that the met office now three thunder shower symbols on its forecast for my location when there were none yesterday:). but still not feeling all that optimistic if Im honest. suppose it will just come down to watching the radar over the next three days.

Supposedly a 71% storm chance today but a 0% chance tommorow, I thought tommorow was looking better than today?

Edited by Snow_Lover123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Am liking the fact that the met office now three thunder shower symbols on its forecast for my location when there were none yesterday:). but still not feeling all that optimistic if Im honest. suppose it will just come down to watching the radar over the next three days.

Supposedly a 71% storm chance today but a 0% chance tommorow, I thought tommorow was looking better than today?

I guess it depends where you live. Having said that the netweather storm chances seem to simply go on CAPE and LI from the GFS and don't seem to take into account any other parameters.

I would be happy to hear of storms down south from me today as it would make me feel more hopeful of storms up here tomorrow. The fact there have been no storms anywhere in the UK thus far doesn't fill me with confidence.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Got some cloud build up towards canterbury again, rather scattered large cumulus.. Could just be heat convection

Posted

I guess it depends where you live. Having said that the netweather storm chances seem to simply go on CAPE and LI from the GFS and don't seem to take into account any other parameters.

I would be happy to hear of storms down south from me today as it would make me feel more hopeful of storms up here tomorrow. The fact there have been no storms anywhere in the UK thus far doesn't fill me with confidence.

yeah it does seem to be using cape and Li yet saying that I have higher CAPE and lower Li tommorow opposed to today so it must use some other parameters.

and I agree the lack of storms isnt great. it would be nice for some to break out today, regardless of location, just to give us something to track and discuss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

clear skies all morning..12pm clear sky...12.30pm+ massive mountains shooting up! sharpy outlined lots of large mushrooms and good height.

Storm Forecast is great!:drinks: was waiting to for one of those to be issued, im more confident of a storm breaking out somewere today! good luck. even if the skys are interesting and more so the not sure part of it all.

my clouds went up within half hour of a clear sky, im sure this would give others a better confidence for today, a rapid explosion of rise is happening right now and we have not even hit peak heat!

sat24

clear skies all morning..12pm clear sky...12.30pm+ massive mountains shooting up! sharpy outlined lots of large mushrooms and good height.

Storm Forecast is great!:drinks: was waiting to for one of those to be issued, im more confident of a storm breaking out somewere today! good luck. even if the skys are interesting and more so the not sure part of it all.

my clouds went up within half hour of a clear sky, im sure this would give others a better confidence for today, a rapid explosion of rise is happening right now and we have not even hit peak heat!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Lot's of Ac Cas here in Wiltshire today, in much thicker bands than yesterday.

Lovely isn't it to see the unstable atmosphere. Never thought I'd say this in April but the Alt Cas is bringing relief

every so often by going over the hot sun! (I was working outside).

I'd suggest watching towards the Mendips again from around 15.00 onwards, although having said that I don't see why

Salisbury Plain couldn't be a breeding ground either!

Posted

Sorta On /Off topic..

does anyone know any shops that still sell those hand held lightning detectors ( with those 5 or 6 coloured LED's ) It looks like a pager.

Any thoughts?

cant find any anywhere now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

sat24

I can those towers from here, infact I can see a load of towers going up along way to my north but I have a great view here on the Island and can see a lot of the mainland easily :)

Good luck to everyone today and for the rest of the weekend, if saturday still looks good me and my friend will be going on our first storm chase of the year in the UK obviously haha, Fingers are crossed!

Posted

Here you go Lynxus :)

http://www.skyview.co.uk/deptc1/acatalog/StrikeAlert_Lightning_Detector.html#aLD_2d1000

I bought one 5 years ago and the batteries keep falling out lol. The back dosen't stay on either now.

It's pretty good though but must be kept away from electrical appliances in the house.

Posted

Here you go Lynxus :)

http://www.skyview.co.uk/deptc1/acatalog/StrikeAlert_Lightning_Detector.html#aLD_2d1000

I bought one 5 years ago and the batteries keep falling out lol. The back dosen't stay on either now.

It's pretty good though but must be kept away from electrical appliances in the house.

Ahh yeah, Thats the bad boy..

Im gonna retrofit it so its outside with an external psu and a connection to my pc ( so i get an email when some alerts come through. )

Posted

Ahh yeah, Thats the bad boy..

Im gonna retrofit it so its outside with an external psu and a connection to my pc ( so i get an email when some alerts come through. )

Wow, I didn't know that could be done lol. wouldn't mind doing something like that myself but i'm no electrician.lol :lol:

Posted

i'm no electrician.lol :lol:

Well, I don't know about that, but there is a distinct lack of anything electrical around your area in the last couple of years Jane! :rofl:

Posted

Wow, I didn't know that could be done lol. wouldn't mind doing something like that myself but i'm no electrician.lol :lol:

Yeah I was thinking of linking the LED display to some kind of controller that will send X signal to the PC depending on what LED has lit up..

I would then have a "virtual" display and id then write some software to monitor the virtual display.

--

Its HOT! outside now.

I can see blue sky but I can see some convection....

Fingers crossed or later!

Posted

Now, I'm a little more interested........ :unsure:

124531.gif