Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

7th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Report

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The south coast is certainly the place to be tonight. :good: Good Luck you coastal folk.

I'm personally hoping the electrified cell near the ringwood area of the New Forest can start heading NNE-wards towards me in central southern england, please! :whistling:

Can't get too greedy as I have had 5 thunderclaps already today.

Good Luck all.

gottolovethisweather

Edit: Isle of Wight Weather website is tracking 3 different Thunderstorms as of 9.15pm

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Here it is weird at the moment, light sunset to the north in a rapidly narrowing band as the sky clouds over. To the south an inky blackness on the horizon with a wall of grey clouds ahead of it. The strong breeze we had all day has dropped off and now just a very slight breeze stirring the trees.

Just heard another very slight rumble. Much quieter than the first one though. Will let you know if anything develops here.

I know, weird wasn't it! It really looked like the sun was setting to the NE!

Storms skirted us at the mo, causght one an hour ago with a couple of flashes and some rumbles but nothing much. Hopeful for a bit later on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It's amazing considering they are 50-60 miles away, but hey - I believe you can see Everest from that Distance? Some very tall CBs that's for sure, hopefully not Embedded like last time we had some, as then we can get some good displays.

Indeed! I'm about 50 miles away. The horizon extends 24 miles and CBS are typically 3-5 miles high (I think)!

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Lots of lightening and torrential rain now in Brighton. Lost satellite tv signal. Mind you, the lightening is probably more interesting than Sunday night tv anyway !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Indeed! I'm about 50 miles away. The horizon extends 24 miles and CBS are typically 3-5 miles high (I think)!

I'm hoping my friend the South downs + London Heating affect can give us some good shows tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Thundering to my south, just herd it above the Mrs and the TV.

Looks like we are in for more.

There goes another one and almost constant small rumbling in the background for a minute there too.

Posted

The south coast is certainly the place to be tonight. :good: Good Luck you coastal folk.

I'm personally hoping the electrified cell near the ringwood area of the New Forest can start heading NNE-wards towards me in central southern england, please! :whistling:

Can't get too greedy as I have had 5 thunderclaps already today.

Good Luck all.

gottolovethisweather

Edit: Isle of Wight Weather website is tracking 3 different Thunderstorms as of 9.15pm

Hello gotto, long time no 'see'. Still getting quiet rumbles here but you really have to listen hard to hear them now, so I am really hoping they move ashore soon as it seems they are getting further away by the sound of the thunder..

Posted

BLOODY HELL!!!!!!!!! Just saw a lightning flash extending up into clear sky above a dark horizon, over to the WSW!! COULD have been a sprite!!! F@CK!!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello gotto, long time no 'see'. Still getting quiet rumbles here but you really have to listen hard to hear them now, so I am really hoping they move ashore soon as it seems they are getting further away by the sound of the thunder..

Hello CF.

You are currently under one of the more explosive cells down south. Another is slowly tracking inland NNE'wards possibly towards Fordingbridge and maybe Winchester eventually (heads up stormforce-beka) Also the Plymouth area is in line for something good.

It's going to be a long night yet! :drinks:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes, a cumulonimbus cloud in our northerly latitude in summer may typically reach 20,000ft or 3.7 miles high - sometimes higher when the weather is hot and thus the equlibrium level (the ceiling for cloud tops) is higher.

However, in the USA tornado alley, which has a more southerly latitude and is subject to far greater convective energy, those cloud tops can sometimes get to 50,000 - 60,000 ft or 9-11 miles high. In the tropics sometimes even higher to 75k feet in extreme cases!

Posted

Where do you live?

Rochester/Chatham borders, North Kent. Clear skies here but dark way off to the WSW and SW!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Good luck those in the SE tonight. Quite a nice spread of stroms for the SW, Midlands and now the SE today. :D

Posted

Hello CF.

You are currently under one of the more explosives cells down south. Another is slowly tracking inland NNE'wards possibly towards Fordingbridge and maybe Winchester eventually (heads up slb97) Also Plymouth area is also in line for something good.

It's going to be a long night yet! :drinks:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Oh how I wish was under it! Instead it seems to be flirting with the coast here and looks to move ashore further west (OOPS meant East) around Worthing. It has just started raining now though so here's hoping.

But not extremely heavy as in Brighton mentioned below, I reckon further east the better for this one.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I gave up time ago,storms either go past Bristol or wait until there past us then erupt,I vowed not to take an interest in the next set up as it will be a waste of time,Bristol no storms capital of england!

Posted

Extremely heavy rain here now... but no more lightening it seems

Edited by SussexmarkyMark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Good luck those in the SE tonight. Quite a nice spread of stroms for the SW, Midlands and now the SE today. :D

Well, for the select few in the SW. Nothing here yet. Anything likely to swing around the low for later tonight or even on the western side?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Big CBs earlier to the south :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Rochester/Chatham borders, North Kent. Clear skies here but dark way off to the WSW and SW!!

Still clear for me, hopefully should be heading this way, south downs and then London will intensify the weather - scientifically!

Posted

I do hope I see something XD !!!

You have a chance, but just rain here currently.

Edited by coldfingers