Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

7th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Report

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I'll take a photo in a minute, see what you think!

Going to get soggy on the IoW in a mo!

I dare say Stormyking will be on shortly :D

http://twitpic.com/62kyox

Take a look at this guys, what's this crap? I can't be bothered to get my Aviation MET Book out!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

a few miles to the south...Penkridge -snow shield capital of South Staffs!

I wish I was back in my hometown of Brixham today, my sis has reported 3 thunderstorms today!

aha didn't you get anything on the 22nd December? I recorded 13cm which sounds tiny compared to what NE and Scotland got.

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Take a look at this guys, what's this crap? I can't be bothered to get my Aviation MET Book out!

Looks like a batch of Ac Floccus or Ac Lacunosus...neither particularly 'storm' heralding IMO. That's what I had a swathes here earlier on - these are dieing away now leaving wispy cirrus and then the menacing dark cloud tops way off on the southern horizon.

aha didn't you get anything on the 22nd December? I recorded 13cm which sounds tiny compared to what NE and Scotland got.

Or the 40+cm that we got here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

looks like a bit of bog standard Altocumulus....not Castellanus to my eye as cloud structure has no depth with a bank of cirrus in the distance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Very active cell passing to our south east... frequent lightning, thunder and dramatic sky ... nice B)

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The rain developing in the Channel is growing fast! Cant believe i'm missing out again!!! :nonono:

I give up i'm off to the pub in this pathetic rain!! Enjoy the storms if you get anything guys! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Im dying of storm starvation.

Even some rain would be good..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Positively autumnal here today with a blustery SWly wind. Not much chance of adding to my grand total of 4 storms since last

summer then....nonono.gif

Posted

40cm! When was that harry?

That fell between 30th Nov and 2nd Dec - I took photos which are in my NW gallery

That took well over a week to thaw. After that we had further coverings leading up to Christmas, peaking at around 15cms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It's tipping down again here, with some fairly gusty winds too, no thunder from this shower yet

Posted

Ah bugger, but we can still get some storms looking at that lot out in the Channel! My estimate is it will hit either at 2130z or 2200z (2230L - 2300L)?

Posted

Cardiff missed out but i am not complaining - had storms in nz and london this year and the perfect view out of the plane over the Phillippenes - bright full moon and hundreds of storms flashing away below me - beautiful :)

Posted

That fell between 30th Nov and 2nd Dec - I took photos which are in my NW gallery

That took well over a week to thaw. After that we had further coverings leading up to Christmas, peaking at around 15cms

Was it off a thames streamer?

Posted

Ah bugger, but we can still get some storms looking at that lot out in the Channel! My estimate is it will hit either at 2130z or 2200z (2230L - 2300L)?

Just heard thunder rumbles so perhaps we will get a good storm. Keeping fingers crossed anyway.

Posted

Just heard thunder rumbles so perhaps we will get a good storm. Keeping fingers crossed anyway.

I can see anvil topped towering cumulus or CBs to my south, is that what you've got?? I've got literally a wall of it (or something)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Just had a text from my sister who is in a caravan 40 (driving) miles from here reporting a storm (St Leonards, Dorset). Deffo got my fingers crossed for a hit here coz we both love storms and have done since we were kids! She says that thunderstorms whilst in a caravan are even more impressive than in a house lol!

Posted

Think things could get interesting for some people tonight with that mass in the channel. Let's hope it brings some rumbles!

Posted

Was it off a thames streamer?

Indeed, was very localised. About a strip 5 miles wide and about 10 miles long max!!

Just had a text from my sister who is in a caravan 40 (driving) miles from here reporting a storm (St Leonards, Dorset). Deffo got my fingers crossed for a hit here coz we both love storms and have done since we were kids! She says that thunderstorms whilst in a caravan are even more impressive than in a house lol!

Storms in caravans are incredible. Parents have one in Dymchurch! Imports during the summer were amazing!!

I can see anvil topped towering cumulus or CBs to my south, is that what you've got?? I've got literally a wall of it (or something)

That's what I can see from here! Perfect time really light to be fading!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Here it is weird at the moment, light sunset to the north in a rapidly narrowing band as the sky clouds over. To the south an inky blackness on the horizon with a wall of grey clouds ahead of it. The strong breeze we had all day has dropped off and now just a very slight breeze stirring the trees.

Just heard another very slight rumble. Much quieter than the first one though. Will let you know if anything develops here.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hoping the SW'erly steering wind will hold at least for the rest of the evening for the SE before winds veer westerly as the tough moves through, as the storms over Hants/Dorset/Channel seem to be coming inland a bit, though bit dubious whether they'll reach the southern 'burbs of London where I am now.

So far today, the SW'erly steering wind has managed to steer the storms away from here to the NW of London, though had a few torrential downpours minus thunder earlier this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Before I head off, is that another surface centre low developing in the channel now? It looks cool! I so envy you guys in the south east tonight. Good luck hope you get to see a light show already lightning detected on south coast. Im going to be stuck in the main centre low for a while so doubt anything else will happen tonight.

Posted

Indeed, was very localised. About a strip 5 miles wide and about 10 miles long max!!

That's what I can see from here! Perfect time really light to be fading!!

Here it is weird at the moment, light sunset to the north in a rapidly narrowing band as the sky clouds over. To the south an inky blackness on the horizon with a wall of grey clouds ahead of it. The strong breeze we had all day has dropped of and now just a very slight breeze stirring the trees.

It's amazing considering they are 50-60 miles away, but hey - I believe you can see Everest from that Distance? Some very tall CBs that's for sure, hopefully not Embedded like last time we had some, as then we can get some good displays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Just got my first flash of CC coming up from the channel......BOOM :aggressive: