Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

7th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Report

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Imo yes Harry, some well respected stormchasers frequent the skywarn forums & are desginated spotters (storm, not the train variety!...lol)

I was in the town centre, it missed by 3 miles to the SE, here puddles everywhere, you must have had a storm? still anvils to my S, over the West midlands

oh and AJ well done on your 2 17 letter names!

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Still nothing here,Big sigh...

I have a feeling its going to stay to the South of us as it travels along the Channel :( Hopefully we'll get something more than distant rumbles...

Looking good for South/SE coast maybe later though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I was in the town centre, it missed by 3 miles to the SE, here puddles everywhere, you must have had a storm? still anvils to my S, over the West midlands

No Mark, a side-swipe, no thunder or lightning, just a quick splash......felt like an autumnal shower as opposed to something for beefier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Right need some help. Will go chasing tonight if I have too as I do not have work tomorrow. Where do you think would be best place to go. Obviously south of my area (Suffolk) but how far south? Thinking Ipswich/Felixstowe or if I have too Colchester/Essex way

I would take a stab at Sudbury, the rain tracks are taking a more northerly route above Essex, I'm no longer thinking anything will happen here, perhaps a bit of rain but no more than that!

Edited by Wet'n'Dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No Mark, a side-swipe, no thunder or lightning, just a quick splash......felt like an autumnal shower as opposed to something for beefier

Wildwood got more than a side swipe, but town centre just 5 spots!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Right need some help. Will go chasing tonight if I have too as I do not have work tomorrow. Where do you think would be best place to go. Obviously south of my area (Suffolk) but how far south? Thinking Ipswich/Felixstowe or if I have too Colchester/Essex way

after dark storms seem unlikely for East Anglia, but maybe lucky up to 9pm ,say suffolk essex border...

Posted

I can see the East Birmingham Storm clouds from here. They are massive! Nice wispy layer at the top. :)

I have a feeling Phil (Solihull) from the No Storms club may be out of there now!

I am now mate, effectively as of 4:47pm on Sunday 7th August 2011.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!! :yahoo:

That was a total surprise which on the horizon looked like a small mass of cumulus until about 10 minutes later I heard a rumble of thunder. Looked outside and thought I was hearing things. Then another a couple of minutes later...

25 minutes then of monsoon rain, IC and CG lightning, one of which was soooo close and provided your proper gunshot/earthshaker type thunder. Have not heard such a boom like that for what must be at least since August 2003 during that record heatwave thundery breakdown.

A few pics for your perusal.

post-8209-0-38223600-1312734613_thumb.jp post-8209-0-39311900-1312734631_thumb.jp

And behind the storm...

post-8209-0-88112600-1312734817_thumb.jp post-8209-0-15305800-1312734845_thumb.jp

Phil.

Posted

Thunder here.

Well, in the Cholla Springs region on Red Dead Redemption, anyway. A nice, virtual thunderstorm, since real life thunderstorms will not step into Chesterfield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Posted · Hidden by Lynxus, August 7, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Lynxus, August 7, 2011 - No reason given

Think I will just get used to NEVER seeing another storm again..

Evidently something is causing showers to always go around gloucester.

Maybe its the hills? The river?

Who knows.

What I do know is that we havent had anything decent for about 4 years now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Think I will just get used to NEVER seeing another storm again..

Evidently something is causing showers to always go around gloucester.

Maybe its the hills? The river?

Who knows.

What I do know is that we havent had anything decent for about 4 years now.

Im right next to a river... surrounded by a hills... no storms for ages.... coincidence?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I am now mate, effectively as of 4:47pm on Sunday 7th August 2011.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!! :yahoo:

That was a total surprise which on the horizon looked like a small mass of cumulus until about 10 minutes later I heard a rumble of thunder. Looked outside and thought I was hearing things. Then another a couple of minutes later...

25 minutes then of monsoon rain, IC and CG lightning, one of which was soooo close and provided your proper gunshot/earthshaker type thunder. Have not heard such a boom like that for what must be at least since August 2003 during that record heatwave thundery breakdown.

A few pics for your perusal.

post-8209-0-38223600-1312734613_thumb.jp post-8209-0-39311900-1312734631_thumb.jp

And behind the storm...

post-8209-0-88112600-1312734817_thumb.jp post-8209-0-15305800-1312734845_thumb.jp

Phil.

Congrats to you Phil....lucky so and so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

So what's the rumor about this MCS forming down south tonight?? I can see stuff forming to the South west of the UK and near the Channel Islands, but so far all it's been where I am is just CB's and rain nothing spectacular.

Posted

I for one can't imagine it at all. And I'm not just basing my opinion on the fact that this year has been so pathetically lacking in thunder. 2010 was barely any better with just one storm during the course of the whole year.

Whether this shockingly below average thundery activity is becoming the norm in this part of the UK, I have no idea, but something is afoot.

I can understand your anger, in a similar situation here, its a no mans land for weather events, just the usual stuff, but I shouldnt complain too much as we did get a few 'thundery' showers here in late spring, one was at dusk with purple fork lightning,

I once read abut the relationship between sunspot activity and thunderstorms and was wondering if this is a reason for so few for the last few years , but then again some parts of the east have been having a thunder fest

It seems now that when storms are forecast for the west, the east get them, when storms are forecast for the whole of the uk the east get them, and when storms are forecast for the east, yes the east get themlaugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

There must only be 3 or 4 of us now, I wonder if jane is out ...

Don't quote me here but I have a hunch that she is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Guess it was the first storm of the year for me, saw a few flashes and one cg as the storm approached from Newbury direction and some briefly very heavy rain and gusty winds with thunder as it passed overhead. Sun has been back out and theres a chance for this evening :)

Couple youtube vids of the approach and the rain when it arrived in Reading and a couple of photos for the storm starved out there.

post-10087-0-66321000-1312733520_thumb.j

post-10087-0-02379900-1312733549_thumb.j

post-10087-0-01327600-1312734639_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Im right next to a river... surrounded by a hills... no storms for ages.... coincidence?

Does make you wonder.

How this silly little river can cause convection to completely STOP over gloucester is beyond me.

You could have a supercell move up and completely vanish as it reaches glos.

Posted

I think Jane would of been on if she has had anything,Jane like others so need a storm,More rain here but getting a little frustrated now with nothing else happening,Still time,pleeeease mother nature give me and others what we deserve.

Posted

Now that would be somewhat freaky if myself and Jane left the NSC on the SAME DAY!!

I'll still help her to run it as I promised her a year or so ago. So although I'm no longer in the NSC theoretically, I'm still in the NSC? :cc_confused:

If that makes any sense at all? :unsure:

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Does make you wonder.

How this silly little river can cause convection to completely STOP over gloucester is beyond me.

You could have a supercell move up and completely vanish as it reaches glos.

It is rather strange! Cant even get the rain to reach here it stopps always a mile or two away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

heard 3 claps of thunder about an hour ago! sweet! :D