Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Interesting line of ppn heading towards here now from D&G, temp 4.7c so I expect it will be of rain/hail and possibly wet snow as the temp gets dragged down.

Many more showers packing into SW Scotland and heading this way.

post-9615-0-93422700-1323011437_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Yeah, i think thats a small trough line that has formed recently Liam, behind that is the yet colder air and the showers will be more and more wintry as the colder air digs down. I'd imagine high ground will get a decent pasting from that line.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Temp down to 0.5C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

hmmm not so sure Kold its seriously WET out there and i have 620feet on my side and still its raining moderately.

my confidence is beginning to decline rapdily :vava:

We had wet snow at lunch and i am about 10-15 miles from you and not much higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

2.8/0.3- please showers pass them darn pennines.

Im in the same boat im gunna start concentrating 5pm onwards mate! Temp 3.2c 77% -0.1c

Posted

Netw zoom radar shows an area of colder T850's within this ppn, below -5c, I tried to save a pic but it won't let me if I'm using GFS data on top of the radar.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Netw radar shows an area of colder T850's within this ppn, below -5c, I tried to save a pic but it won't let me if I'm using GFS data on top of the radar.

Yep, its a little trough that is introducing slightly colder uppers, nothing too impressive but that combined with slight cooling as the sun starts to set will make a difference to the snowline.

Posted

Should get something wintry tonight, we've had showers falling freely on tap from early hours (slight lull at moment, but skies are leaden grey still) so hopefully they'll be just as giving overnight as the colder air digs in. I expect a wet snow-sleet-snowy mixture.

Should get something wintry tonight, we've had showers falling freely on tap from early hours (slight lull at moment, but skies are leaden grey still) so hopefully they'll be just as giving overnight as the colder air digs in. I expect a wet snow-sleet-snowy mixture.

posibly dodge but i cant for the life of me see any chance of lying snow below 300m,i expect snowmad will have lying snow in the morning but it will be wet id have thought and i think ecm's ideas of 5 to 6 cm will be way out.

we'll see.

Posted

Im really confident parts of west/north yorkshire and northern parts of north west england (away from the sea) will have had a light covering/dusting by this time tuesday :)

O and any chance Yorkshire can have it's own thread again?? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

If any showers penetrate the Pennines tonight and tomorrow, then yes, there will probably be a bit of wet snow in most of West Yorkshire. We have a poster from Queensbury, West Yorkshire.. well above 300 meters.. we need him!

Posted

posibly dodge but i cant for the life of me see any chance of lying snow below 300m,i expect snowmad will have lying snow in the morning but it will be wet id have thought and i think ecm's ideas of 5 to 6 cm will be way out.

we'll see.

Yes, don't think it will quite get in the way of me making work tomorrow morning in Manchester. Still after the very mild November it's good to have a bite in the air for once. Much more seasonal :)

Posted

we'll see.

Relax, I expect dustings of snow down to 100 metres and some decent accumulations above 300m. From this set-up were never going to get appreciable snowfall amounts low down, but it will be nice to see snow falling and quite a lot of it in the heavier showers!

Posted

even backtrack in subtropical runcorn has had sleet,its just been boring wet rain here to the east and quite a bit higher up.very odd(and annoying to boot) :lol:

I notice a small band heading South, should be here around t-time and i suspect it will be Wintry here and in Ashton.

Posted

we'll see.

To be fair the ECM does limit the settling snow to ground above say 100M which is pretty close to the other models out there. Your height may well make the difference for you, especially towards the back-end of the night.

Posted

The heavier ppn seems to have passed the north and broken up, fine ice crystals and hail atm, temp fallen to 3.1c

Posted

If any showers penetrate the Pennines tonight and tomorrow, then yes, there will probably be a bit of wet snow in most of West Yorkshire. We have a poster from Queensbury, West Yorkshire.. well above 300 meters.. we need him!

In these set-ups the showers usually die out or start dying out as they hit Leeds. I think east of leeds may see some snow falling from light showers, but to the west there should be some slight accumulations. Possibly light/moderate if hightened shower activity can coincide with the cold uppers (-5hpa ~ -7hpa) between 6am monday and 6am tuesday :)

Posted

I quite like the grouping with Yorkshire, the weather in my Location is much closer to Halifax for instance than most North West locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

2.8/0.3- please showers pass them darn pennines.

can see about 10km west and the skies are clear out all the way onto the pennines. bit of gap for now. wind direction doesn't favour us atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Snowing here now but the snow is wet and not settling.

Posted

can see about 10km west and the skies are clear out all the way onto the pennines. bit of gap for now. wind direction doesn't favour us atm

Im afraid you can't have everything ;)

From North easterlies the west barely gets a look in :p

Luckily my location does well from north westerlies and north easterlies :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Awful forecast for us in the Northeast :( Big downgrade from the dusting in most places from earlier,

Headline:

Frosty overnight. Feeling cold on Monday. Some snow showers.

This Evening and Tonight:

Showers of rain, sleet, and snow will continue overnight. Most of these will fall in Pennine districts, where 5 to 10cm of snow is possible above about 200m. Elsewhere, clear periods will lead to a widespread frost with icy patches. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Monday:

There will be plenty of sunshine for most but further showers of rain, sleet and snow are expected, Pennine districts most prone. Feeling cold with a gusty wind. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Updated: 1520 on Sun 4 Dec 2011

Edited by Snowstorm1