Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

i have seen thoise warnings countless times before in situations like this and woke up to plain old concrete when i opened the curtains.

i was planing a late 1 but i dont think i will be tbh. :rolleyes:

I play these occasions on merit HD and my gut tells me we could have snow in my area by 7pm tonight.

Posted

Kinder Scout clear of snow as of 3pm, went for a meal at a nearby pub overlooking the peaks and not a single snowflake fell, despite my reassurances that it was coming sometime overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Met office beta site has sleet showers 9 oclock, light snow midnight, heavy snow shower 3am, and heavy snow 6am for a forecast location 0.6 miles from me and the NAE does back partially but more borderline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The GFS overlay on the radar still has -2C uppers over my area, and some of NW England, with -4C air following closely behind. Really hoping the temperatures call fall once the colder air digs in. They've risen to 5.7C due to a lull in precipitation.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Dew Point -2.3C

Windchill -3C

Temp 1.2C

Posted

if its borderline for you high up in saddleworth then most of us are going to get guff all,apart from wet.

lol

dont forget though im only the same altitude as you, admittedly probably colder though due to being quite rural.

Posted

My dew point is currently hovering at around 2°C. Will this fall later on?

More rain is coming on the radar.

Yeah, colder air is still to the north of you right now. Your a touch south of where the 00z ECM had the settling snow but I wouldn't take that too seriously right now.

Posted

Yeah, colder air is still to the north of you right now. Your a touch south of where the 00z ECM had the settling snow but I wouldn't take that too seriously right now.

I'm really hoping to see some falling snow Kold. Temperature is rising fast though, up to 5.9C now :(

Dewpoint is falling though.. down to 2.9C.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Where does the Ecm show settling snow?

Posted

If anyones going to do better out of our little grouping it will be snowmad79, hes further up towards the m62 with nearly 1000ft, im only 600ft.

Posted

I'm really hoping to see some lying snow Kold. Temperature is rising fast though, up to 5.9C now :(

Dewpoint is falling though.. down to 2.9C.

Think you'll have a hard time, may get wintry later on but I'd be very surprised if you get any lying snow, even getting snow full stop maybe a touch tough given the closeness to the Irish Sea, which att his ime of year really does make a large difference.

Still confident of snowfall lying above 150M in the areas the ECM suggests, no reason for it to be wrong judging from the reports I've heard so far.

Posted

It is absolutely bitter out there with that wind, 3C and Dewpoint 0C, so shouldn't really struggle to achieve snow when the colder uppers get here!

Posted

Think you'll have a hard time, may get wintry later on but I'd be very surprised if you get any lying snow, even getting snow full stop maybe a touch tough given the closeness to the Irish Sea, which att his ime of year really does make a large difference.

Still confident of snowfall lying above 150M in the areas the ECM suggests, no reason for it to be wrong judging from the reports I've heard so far.

Yeah I didn't mean to type lying snow. Must be on my mind. I edited it. :lol:

Posted

Im not convinced that many people south of the m62 are going to get more than a brief dusting to be honest but i dont think its time to give up yet, if its midnight and PPN not showing any sign whatsoever of turning wintry then might be time to call it a day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just had a very cold rain/hail shower! Temp 3.2c, I suspect the Irish sea will ruin mine and a few others chances for any accumulating snow, wintry showers deffo but lying snow I doubt it very much but not impossible. Perhaps above 150-200m the bottom limit for snow accumulating.

Anyone near Alston? I may have a drive over that way tomorrow if there happens to be any decent snow piling up overnight.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

st bees head recorded a temp of 2.7c at 1600 and that is literally on the coast

Posted

690ft here, with hilltop heights above 1000ft around the valley (surrounded on all sides.) Shining Tor with the Cat & Fiddle is visible off to the distant south, with Brown Knoll (offshoot of Kinder Scout) visible at the far end of the valley at 1870ft.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I don't think areas above 600ft have to worry about if it will be cold enough for snow tonight/tomorrow, it's more a case of how many showers will penetrate inland and will they die away once they get 20-30 miles inland or will they keep strength.

Posted

ive already thrown the towel in lol

I wouldnt just yet, it depends what your expectation level is, we are not going to get a pasting but we could just scrape a very heavy shower with a covering.