Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Very torrential hail showers here today! Best showers all year and they are in winter! lol!

Still have hopes of high ground getting some snow as the day wears on! Cotsolds perhaps?

Nevertheless, some interesting weather around!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

turned white here a little while ago, from a hail shower, but still white non the less :) lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

turned white here a little while ago, from a hail shower, but still white non the less :) lol

I'm jealous indeed! :aggressive:

I have not had a single shower of anything since first thing. two lines of showers one of which goes to south and one to the north by bristol. :lazy:

Maybe a chance tonight and in morning although the met office change the regional on an hourly basis so not convinced we will see a flake. :cray:

Posted

just came over the second severn crossing from Bristol to Magor, arrived in Magor to big Thunderstorm, lightning and big hail and torrential rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Had it all in Stroud now - rain, hail, sleet, snow, thunder and lightning! All in last 30 mins. I want it to snow of course, but right now this lot will do me..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

You wish..

Got zero chance.. But at least we have had snow ( albeit about 100 flakes ) this side of xmas :)

:-) I thought it was a few flakes I spotted, but didn't like to say!!!

Posted

Heavy wet snow! :yahoo: left a few slushy deposits but soon be gone.

temperature 1.7c

Posted

Heavy wet snow! :yahoo: left a few slushy deposits but soon be gone.

temperature 1.7c

Now I'm jealous, at least you've seen the real deal, might drive up there later if showers are still hitting the area,

Posted

Yes a decent trough moving through at the moment, had hail/sleet in Warminster so definitely a case of needing to be higher for snow (as per Mullender on the Mendips)..

Has anyone else played the radar and followed the showery troughs from the far west of Cornwall and seen how quickly they have reached this far East? It's been

happening throughout the day and will probably continue all ngiht into tomorrow too!

A brilliant 24 hours of weather! The wettest 24 hours since 12-13 June with 32.5mm since this time yesterday and some stunning gusts of wind / skyscapes!

Posted

Now I'm jealous, at least you've seen the real deal, might drive up there later if showers are still hitting the area,

I still think a covering of hail is very impressive! I just thought though because I had 2 claps of thunder does that mean i had a thundersnow event?

Posted

Had frequent heavy, torrential hail and what i think was sleet, showers all afternoon! One after the other! Haven't had such a good day of downpours for a long time! Might not have snow, but this is near enough just as good for the time being!

Tomorrow looks to be a similar day too, so for those that missed out today, chance 2 tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Missed most of the fun as I was indoors most of the afternoon, but there were the remains of hail and as I went up the hill to Bath Uni from the city it was snowing. The coach driver said it was snowing at the racecourse too... Seems to have come from nowhere as it looked like we were progged into end;ess zonal (albeit cold zonal). Friday could be interesting...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

really chuffed, wet snow and bits of hail near frome, particulary from 3pm onwards.

Posted

really chuffed, wet snow and bits of hail near frome, particulary from 3pm onwards.

I suspected the Mendips area would get some wet snow! Glad for you!

Still possible for more wet snow in the south west for the rest of the week! On iPhone at the moment so unfortunately can't post charts, but someone recently posted a GFS chart for Friday in the model discussion thread that had snow from Somerset northwards on it!

If anyone can post it on this thread that would be good so people know what I'm talking about!

Wouldn't be suprised if people in the Cotswolds woke up to a dusting of snow tomorrow either!

Posted
http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111213/12/66/prectypeuktopo.png For friday, shows snow for most, have no idea how accurate these charts are though so take em with a pinch of salt, I know I am!

Posted

http://hw.nwstatic.c...ctypeuktopo.png For friday, shows snow for most, have no idea how accurate these charts are though so take em with a pinch of salt, I know I am!

Yes no doubt it will change totaly by the time we get to friday! Would be great if alot of the west country could get a proper dusting although coastal areas it would be very unlikely with -4/-5 850's.

All depends on the track of that storm once again as it alters where and how much cold air is sucked into it is it passes through. ;)

Also would not be impossible for areas to hold on to laying snow for a couple of days i'd think as temperatures take a dive as we head into weekend.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

There are frequent bands racing W-E. Another about to move through into the Wiltshire area but it's broken in the middle while heaviest in the Southern

portion which could lead to wintriness for the SW Wiltshire/SE Somerset parts.

Funny thing is, the NW Radar at a 10 minute delay to real time is usually brilliantly accurate for predicting, however under such a fast moving regime 10 minutes

is equating to about 15-20 miles!!

Posted

Well interesting drive back across the Cotswolds...

Rain/sleet as I left Cheltenham, heading back up towards leckhamption it was more of a sleet/hail combination. Things died down for 10 mins or so, and then moderate sleet for a while, then just outside northleach almost a blizzard of hail, blown in and along the road on vey gusty winds (struggling to keep control of the car at the times with things very slippy under wheel), which lasted for about 25 mins of the journey (I think I drove all the way through it).....then not much until just outside Witney (on the way to Oxford) when again extremely heavy hail set in....this then started transitioning between hail and snow as I got closer to Oxford with near zero visibility. This then turned to big fluffy flakes of snow through the ring road around Oxford, and this continued up until about a mile or so onto the M40 (again I think I drove all the way through it). After that by the time I got to the M25 it had gone from 0.5c up to a barmy 7c!

The colder uppers digging in certainly keeping showery activity going, I think I'm about to get hot back here in Essex by the cell I passed through in Oxford!

Kris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

I suspected the Mendips area would get some wet snow! Glad for you!

Still possible for more wet snow in the south west for the rest of the week! On iPhone at the moment so unfortunately can't post charts, but someone recently posted a GFS chart for Friday in the model discussion thread that had snow from Somerset northwards on it!

If anyone can post it on this thread that would be good so people know what I'm talking about!

Wouldn't be suprised if people in the Cotswolds woke up to a dusting of snow tomorrow either!

twas only briefly and had i not had to work in it i would have appreciated it even more!

is it me or is this winter started off really complicated and unpredictable?

i've also subsrcribed to the NW radar, 15min refresh just isnt fast enough!

Edited by Aceman

Posted

twas only briefly and had i not had to work in it i would have appreciated it even more!

is it me or is this winter started off really complicated and unpredictable?

i've also subsrcribed to the NW radar, 15min refresh just isnt fast enough!

It almost always is, just an exceptionally fast moving situation. You will really appreciate having it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi everyone just driven back from Ilminster to Yeovil, it started off as rain and sleet but gradually turned to snow. But only lasted for 10 minutes. 0 degree's on car thermometer.