Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

I love how unpredictble fridays storm is i think people may be very suprised or dispointed by the time it arrives.

Currently cold and breezy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning All,

Pleased to report (actually, more like ecstatic, squeelingly excited) it's snowing like mad here. Gurt big flakes and yacking down :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Morning All,

Pleased to report (actually, more like ecstatic, squeelingly excited) it's snowing like mad here. Gurt big flakes and yacking down :clap:

chucking it down with rain here, at an extreme push I could say it looks ever so sleety at times but that's probably just my imagination lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well interesting drive back across the Cotswolds...

Rain/sleet as I left Cheltenham, heading back up towards leckhamption it was more of a sleet/hail combination. Things died down for 10 mins or so, and then moderate sleet for a while, then just outside northleach almost a blizzard of hail, blown in and along the road on vey gusty winds (struggling to keep control of the car at the times with things very slippy under wheel), which lasted for about 25 mins of the journey (I think I drove all the way through it).....then not much until just outside Witney (on the way to Oxford) when again extremely heavy hail set in....this then started transitioning between hail and snow as I got closer to Oxford with near zero visibility. This then turned to big fluffy flakes of snow through the ring road around Oxford, and this continued up until about a mile or so onto the M40 (again I think I drove all the way through it). After that by the time I got to the M25 it had gone from 0.5c up to a barmy 7c!

The colder uppers digging in certainly keeping showery activity going, I think I'm about to get hot back here in Essex by the cell I passed through in Oxford!

Kris

I cycled back from Cheltenham to Oxford yesterday and experienced much the same sort of thing! I couldn't feel my feet by the time I got back... it started off raining as I went up Leckhampton Hill, then turned sleety around Yanworth. Near Northleach there was then heavy wet snow for a time, before it brightened up and then sleeted until I reached Burford. Sunny until Oxford, but it snowed for a bit when I got back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Morning All,

Yay, enjoy jethro, send it up this way lol :D:drunk:

Posted

chucking it down with rain here, at an extreme push I could say it looks ever so sleety at times but that's probably just my imagination lol

It's still coming down! I'm up in the Mendips (roughly 200m asl) I guess height really helps in these marginal set-ups.

Posted

Yep some sleet here and the tinyest bits of snow on the ground in Shaftesbury this morning.

Probably due to the intensity and cloud height which is allowing a bit of evoporative cooling allowing it to snow even though temps are 3C and 850's are only around -4, particularly given the hail before hand.

Posted

Stopped :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

darn i missed out! Im at work in whitchurch and we have sleet here. :aggressive:

Jeth tell us is it sticking at all around top?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

It's still coming down! I'm up in the Mendips (roughly 200m asl) I guess height really helps in these marginal set-ups.

Yep I was up there last night around 9 and it was snowing up there then, is certainly sleet here now and not just rain.

Posted

The grass was just beginning to turn white and then it stopped - it was REALLY heavy.

Off to work soon, just outside Bristol, fingers crossed that the journey home will get whiter as I climb back up the hills.

Posted

Looks like some more heavier stuff just moving in over the mendips jeth!?

Some very sleety wet snow in heavy bursts here in whitchurch which is around 80m

Posted

Yep, coming down thick and fast again. Think the previous lot must have cooled surfaces down a bit as it's sticking and covering quicker now. Got to go to work but really want to stay here - the sky looks full of it. Queen Charlton is probably only 80m asl too, so doubt there will be anything there.

Posted

I hope it sticks so I can see it when I go home at least. :good:

Thursday night into friday is still possible to see some snow although I have a feeling it will be a little too far north for us.

Temperature at home has fallen to 0.4c so im guessing its snowing...

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

HUGE snow near frome, settling as well, not sure how long it'll last but GERT LUSH !!!

Posted

A dark, dark sky. The day's work is decking the halls with boughs of Holly, garlands and a wreath. The snow is still falling thick and fast, it's all turned white up here.

What can I say.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPFPVd3L3Lc

Snowing in Shepton Mallet too.

I've got two very happy Spaniels....

Is it snowing in Whitchurch?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My friend Chris Hayden, says it has sleet/snow in Longwell Green,Bristol? Anyone else got the same?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Cant believe im on the northern tip of this lot as its started off as snow so i no if we were in the middle of it it would be thick and maybe settling

Posted

It was snowing in whitchurch properly towards the end of the showers. Brought temperatures down to 2c here with it just trying to settle before it stopped.

Showers later in the day may end up being more sleety as temps rise slightly? crossed fingers ill see some this evening when i return home. :acute:

Posted

It has settled on all surfaces in Warminster, but looking at the radar here caught the heaviest core plus being a few hundred feet higher helps. It really was big wet flakes and, now it's stopped, is beginning to melt.

I wonder if more such showers will come through later in the day? A large gap now so going to be bright/sunny for a few hours I think.

The temperature has dropped to 1.9c from an earlier max of 3.6c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

First rain, then hail and now it's snowing, even as low down as here. The temperature was also 2.4C when I got up at 8.30 and now it's gone down to 0.9C.

Posted

ECM focuses heaviest snowfall on an area a touch SE of Bristol for Thursday night, with probably 3-6hrs of heavy snow before it eases off.

I agree KW.

ECM and GFS are both hinting of a *possible* snow event for Thursday night/Friday morning, it's backed up by the recent 06 NAE which shows -5 850's getting qutie far south in the NE back end of the low down to south dorset.

Still oddles of uncertainty around this, but somewhere like the forest of Dean Glocestershire cotswolds etc could see 10cms of snow if it goes to plan.