Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Yes it's windier than yesterday. Wind 20 to 30mph with gusts up to 40mph now.

You guys sure about your wind speeds?, the figures a few of you are talking about are 10 to 20mph higher than anything predicted on the MetO for our more inland areas. I'm only seeing gusts aproaching 60mph in the coastal regions.

I have two garden anemometers (one is a professional shipping anemometer worth nearly £1000), and a kestrel hand held anememometer, all giving very similar windspeeds. Look at www.xcweather.co.uk, or go to the latest MetOffice observations. RAF Wattisham (quite far inland), has recorded a gust of 67mph tonight, not far from me. So I'm pretty confident that my readings are correct. The giant oak tree and dozens of large branches down on the roads near me back this us quite well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Thats pretty impressive then.

There are quite a few MetO obersvations in West Midlands and East Midlands getting to around the 50mph mark, so i've probably seen the same I guess. It's definitely windy out there. Though apparently not windy enough to deserve a yellow warning.

Posted

Yes, ive been awaken by the strong gales. Id say hitting 60 mph easily. Very strong winds, strongest for the last 2 years here!

Facebook news feed is filled with people thinking its a hurricane!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

I must have slept through the gales but awoke at 4.30 and it was deluging. Yesterday in the mid afternoon I went for a short walk on the Malvern Hills where I live and nearly got blown over 3 times, the wind was so strong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Oh dear.... was it something you ate ? :bad:

Or drank! Sorry MK the glass must have been half empty instead of half full

But with8or9 weeks of uninspiring weather I thought maybe we might miss

Out this year. On a brighter note the models look better for some sort of change

In weather pattern. Still quite windy here this morning woke me up.

I like your positivity :good: 1947, 1963 I'm not fussy really as long as we get another 'big one' :clap:

Sounds good to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Holland has got the Thunderstorms even though its january, makes a change frm july! , my 41.8mph at 22.30 last night was in a town garden, so i dont doubt it was 50-60mph in open countryside.

Posted

Wind is blowing around 20mph here. Between 10mph and 30mph. Had a max gust last night of 45mph. Think it's easing off here though, or it maybe wishful thinking as due to leave for work in 45mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all, I hope everyone survived another windy night without any storm damage ?

I do feel a little bit tired and grumpy this morning after yet another bad nights sleep with being kept awake with crashes and bangs!

It seemed to be a bit better earlier but another very squally shower has just passed though with some very strong gusts, just when I thought it was safe to go outside

- oh well if I'm going to have a bad day it might as well be a bad hair day too :rolleyes:

Posted

Morning all, I hope everyone survived another windy night without any storm damage ?

Unfortunately one of our wooden garage doors decided it might be nice to try to drag the whole wooden frame it's connected to off the wall. We had to take the door off otherwise risk the corner of the garage collapsing. Not impressed with this wind.

Edited by Barbmac

Posted

Fear not, I ordered the ECM/GFS and all other model outputs on fear of death to show more favourable winter synoptics for you CH...anything to cheer you up from your apparent depths of despair these past few weeks, and the good news is that I believe the ECM at least has taken my threats seriously, at least the 12z run has! :winky:

Aww thanks for that, I have to admit that this winter is getting me down.

At least we are having a few fun and games todays with the wind *looks at half dozen smashed fence panels* although the Met Office don't seem to realise :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Aww thanks for that, I have to admit that this winter is getting me down.

At least we are having a few fun and games todays with the wind *looks at half dozen smashed fence panels* although the Met Office don't seem to realise :D

Yep, model outputs are starting to hint at something colder, potentially much colder, but patience is the key, me thinks.......Also agree on the wind, it's gusting over gale force (40mph+) and I've had to rescue the patio set 3 times today from entering next door's garden! added to that we've lost the glass in the back door due to a fence panel being blown off and yep, it took out the back door glass with it!....am currently taking 5 minutes out from arguing the toss with 'More Than' insurance who seem to be 'Less Than' willing to stump up at the moment! :smiliz46:

Posted

Unfortunately one of our wooden garage doors decided it might be nice to try to drag the whole wooden frame it's connected to off the wall. We had to take the door off otherwise risk the corner of the garage collapsing. Not impressed with this wind.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that...still it could have been worse if it had landed on you ! :vava:

Posted

Oh dear, sorry to hear that...still it could have been worse if it had landed on you ! :vava:

LOL! Yes. Well it was sometime in the early hours. The cats sleep out there, though, so I'll bet they all woke up! Got some sunshine now, but it's still not terribly pleasant out unless you like a cold gale whipping at you.

Posted

Oh my!

Look! The Midlands has a weather warning..........must be some sort of mistake? ehem! :whistling:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

Posted

Yellow Warning of Ice :

Valid from 0005 Fri 06 Jan to 1000 Fri 06 Jan

Clearing skies following late showers on Thursday evening may lead to some icy stretches forming later in the night and at first on Friday.

The public should be aware of the need for extra care, particularly road uses.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The winds went WILD here around 8am this morning upon the arrival of a shower. Trees were swaying to much extent which led to loads of fallen trees with chaos on the trains here this morning down here as a tree fell on the line with cancellations between Stratford and Worcester/Great Malvern.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

This morning around 8am...

A total of 10 wheelie bins with a lid open or fallen over withn a stretch of about 250m... A LOT of branches/twigs on the floor even a 5x4 sign was down.

I was really suprised by how much damage there ha been even though my road was directly facing the wind.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by A.J, January 5, 2012 - duplicated post
Hidden by A.J, January 5, 2012 - duplicated post

This morning around 8am...

A total of 10 wheelie bins with a lid open or fallen over withn a stretch of about 250m... A LOT of branches/twigs on the floor even a 5x4 sign was down.

I was really suprised by how much damage there ha been even though my road was directly facing the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Thank goodness the winds happened when the trees have lost all their leaves… I don't think there'd be many still standing otherwise. I'd say the winds were 50 mph average and had backed down to 40 when I was looking for my dog this morning — an 'interesting' walk as the wind chill made it feel quite icy at times and I was glad of my parka.

PS The mutt was waiting for me at home so I needn't have gone out at all.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Well that was a wild couple of days. Good to have something interesting while this prolonged average/mild spell continues.

Sadly, looks like we're heading towards the winter weather i despise the most...boring, grey, average nothingness. Every weather chart I hate to see during winter has appeared this winter so far!

Never mind, something interesting will come around again I'm sure. If not cold and snow then I'm sure the wild weather will return.

Time to forget about the weather for a bit now...

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

disagree, i would much have (as you put it) average nothingness over this horrible autumnal weather, looks better next week drier, but then back to autumn again from sunday 15th

Posted

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then! Ah well...although I'm sure we can agree on snow and cold when/if it arrives!

...and I'm sure I'll agree with you when I'm walking the dog at the weekend and notice that it's actually feeling quite pleasant!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well, I agree with you Gord. Whilst its good to have some dry weather, its generally bland and very boring after a while. It looks mostly cloudy with temperatures neither cold nor very mild either. Just stuck in the middle like a right party pooper!