Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Amazing how relatively calm everything seems now that the squalli line has passed through!

But that was really intense.......can you imagine a squall line like that carrying snow and bringing even colder air behind it <dreamy> :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Well done to weather guy on Radio 5 for mentioning the squall line. Not hard to explain it!

Posted

Amazing how relatively calm everything seems now that the squalli line has passed through!

But that was really intense.......can you imagine a squall line like that carrying snow and bringing even colder air behind it <dreamy> :-)

We can only dream of things like that...we got Rain & Hail instead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Last night was very very windy here and must have been worse with the squall line which I was sadly asleep for then. I reckon gusts were at least 50mph here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We just had a shower here that began with a hail and snow mix! Very windy with it too. Models do suggest air cold just enough for a wintry mix from now on. Turned back to rain now when it got lighter but very interesting nonetheless!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

We had an intense hail shower a little while ago. Temp has dropped from 9oC this morning to just 5oC now.

Posted

Had the squall line pass through here at about 12.30, taken a few trees down and also blew kwik fit roof off :o so far no reports of anyone hurt. Was quite a scary experiance and had to run in nearest shop for cover. lol.

Blue skys appeared after but now have been taken over with darkness and this is the view , sorry phone quality, looking west

post-7952-0-60873900-1325609114_thumb.jp

Edited by donna-m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Felt bitter out there in the wind, might not be that cold temperature wise today but it certainly feels like it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Felt bitter out there in the wind, might not be that cold temperature wise today but it certainly feels like it.

Agreed, does feel bitter in the wind, do you still have optimism for the final half of January Nick? I know the models can show a big change within 2 weeks but for the last 3 weeks... Every time I have looked at a model run it's just relentless Westerlys/South Westerlys with a very brief North Westerly that brings snow over high ground in Scotland and then a reload of Westerlys come back in again :doh:

My late Granddad used to say... "February is normally the snowiest month" and I hope that rings true for 2012!

Posted

Agreed, does feel bitter in the wind, do you still have optimism for the final half of January Nick? I know the models can show a big change within 2 weeks but for the last 3 weeks... Every time I have looked at a model run it's just relentless Westerlys/South Westerlys with a very brief North Westerly that brings snow over high ground in Scotland and then a reload of Westerlys come back in again :doh:

My late Granddad used to say... "February is normally the snowiest month" and I hope that rings true for 2012!

It's true!

I was always told by my late grandmother that february was the coldest and most brutal month, it seems the balance had tipped towards early winter over the past few years, amybe now it's tipping back to tradtionally it's most cold month?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Interesting weather today......if not the snow and ice so many of us want.

See you back on here around 18th January when I'm thinking we'll see our first settling snow.....even if it doesn't stay around for too long!

Posted

Some wild weather here in St Albans today, winds this morning blew over several trees which I witnessed, while the squall line this afternoon led to some local flooding. Trains through St Albans were also disrupted by a tree on the line this morning. I was very surprised by how strong the winds were!

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/9448884.Gusts_blow_over_trees/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I don't know about optimism but I certainly don't share the doom and gloom that some seem to be persistently peddling.

Posted

We just had a shower here that began with a hail and snow mix! Very windy with it too. Models do suggest air cold just enough for a wintry mix from now on. Turned back to rain now when it got lighter but very interesting nonetheless!

Damn, there goes the chances of 2012 being a snow free year then! :rofl:

Posted

Damn, there goes the chances of 2012 being a snow free year then! :rofl:

Hehe, as short as it lasted I was very surprised. It was certainly a soft hail/snow mix. Everything had a white fluffy look to it for a while that was dancing in the wind. :D

We also have an occlusion developing in NW Wales right now and is moving this way. Perhaps some wintriness in the heavier bursts? Models indicate uppers around -4c right now but thicknesses at around 526dam. Not fantastic but if my experience earlier is anything to go by then its certainly not possible and with colder conditions tonight. :)

Posted

Wow, that is impressive. A shame those things don't form when we get a proper cold northwesterly. Interesting little feature though!

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Well we have had Rain ,Sunshine,sleet,snow,wind,hail,grouple all in one day ... a great day for weather buffs in Sheffield ..hope not too much damage experianced in our area.

Me thinks the MetO underrestimated this low today in some areas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Hehe, as short as it lasted I was very surprised. It was certainly a soft hail/snow mix. Everything had a white fluffy look to it for a while that was dancing in the wind. :D

We also have an occlusion developing in NW Wales right now and is moving this way. Perhaps some wintriness in the heavier bursts? Models indicate uppers around -4c right now but thicknesses at around 526dam. Not fantastic but if my experience earlier is anything to go by then its certainly not possible and with colder conditions tonight. :)

Just recently had a squally shower pass here, and can happily confirm there were some very wet snowflakes and hail mixed in with the rain, especially when it got very heavy. :-O Really surprised me, but like you said, the conditions did look reasonably favourable for some possible wintriness to the precipitation. But the most amazing part about it was the very cold strong wind accompanying the shower - made the temperature feel as though it dipped close to, or below freezing, because it really did feel that cold. Although it was mostly more on the rainy side, rather than the snow/hail side, was certainly a great little surprise to see. :D

So glad I read this thread tonight, otherwise probably wouldn't have gone outside (with the outdoor light on) and watched the showers pass over.

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Looks like we might have a few strong gusts again tonight esp.Thames basin, Essex/Cambs. Met O looking at circa 55 mph gusts. Similar on other models with Estofex being a little excited as well putting us under a level 1 watch.

Posted

Looks like we might have a few strong gusts again tonight esp.Thames basin, Essex/Cambs. Met O looking at circa 55 mph gusts. Similar on other models with Estofex being a little excited as well putting us under a level 1 watch.

Looks like we've escaped the warnings again though doesn't it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looks like we've escaped the warnings again though doesn't it?

Just saw this in S.England regional CH

http://www.netweathe...lert;reg=7;sess

could be a bit wild as those cold fronts comes through o/night.

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax24s.gif

Edited by phil n.warks.