Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

can you elaborate on what you mean, are the models showing something now?and this would be february?

A pattern change is in the offing, as the models infer an Artic High forming as a result of Stratospheric warming, thus splitting the incumbent Polar Vortex over the artic regions forcing cold air to flood towards more southern latitudes, also encourages high pressure over mid latitudes to ridge northwards to 'join up' with the artic high (aka blocking) dragging in a cold easterly wind (with attendant cold pool of upper air) to areas to the south of the HP....As to where these areas will be (i.e which part of the northern hemisphere) it's still up in the air (no pun intended) but the potential is there, patience is needed though as it's still days away.................That's the basic gist of it, I think ! :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

can you elaborate on what you mean, are the models showing something now?and this would be february?

Yep, basicaly as C.S and AJ have just Kindly explaned 12z ECM came up with a major pattern change in line with Glacier points

analysis. The GFS is also flirting with the idea of a scandi block and possibly a very decent cold spell.

Shotski

Posted

Yep, basicaly as C.S and AJ have just Kindly explaned 12z ECM came up with a major pattern change in line with Glacier points

analysis. The GFS is also flirting with the idea of a scandi block and possibly a very decent cold spell.

Shotski

If and I mean IF it comes off, this region could at last join the leagues of major snow cover wgich we were so cruelly deprived of last year.

Even the charts showing such cold, has cheered my up no end, even if it doesn't happen may they continue to do so :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I'm on holiday abroad from the 21st to the 28th Jan. Will be extremely unimpressed if I miss the start of a good cold snowy period. Though I hope it comes off for you guys :)

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Gary-North Stoke, January 8, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Gary-North Stoke, January 8, 2012 - No reason given

I know its the GFS Model and a long way off but would'nt it be great if this came off? Patience dear friends patience.lol

Posted

if the 12z ECM where to verify and i mean IF a very cold and potent easterly would occur in about 11 days time

C.S

ok thank you, something to keep an eye on then, although I think they say anything showing more than a week out is liable to change greatly.still, we can hope!

If and I mean IF it comes off, this region could at last join the leagues of major snow cover wgich we were so cruelly deprived of last year.

Even the charts showing such cold, has cheered my up no end, even if it doesn't happen may they continue to do so smile.png

I know what you mean, half the fun is in seeing the charts showing the cold, tantilising that this could happen in the next fortnight, even if it never happens in reality.

Posted

I'm on holiday abroad from the 21st to the 28th Jan. Will be extremely unimpressed if I miss the start of a good cold snowy period. Though I hope it comes off for you guys :)

Remember December 15th when that low was 'meant' to turn to snow over our reigon, yrah well I was abroad then. :D

Posted

Remember December 15th when that low was 'meant' to turn to snow over our reigon, yrah well I was abroad then. :D

Wish I was abroad then....what a load of rubbish that one was!

If someone pays, I'll offer to go to some tropical climate for a week or two so Murphy's law can play it's part. The things I'll do for you! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The ECM 00z from last night reminds me of a beautiful woman, nice to look at and daydream about :D

It looks great t192 onwards, shame that it's practically FI though at the moment and GFS isn't having any of it

ECM1-192.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Yep. The alps just got a good 50 to 100cm pasting as well. The things I would do to have 50 to 100cm of snow predicted here :p

In other news i'm being optimistic and buying myself a good bright torch (Fenix TK35) to shine out my window in potential snow events. They turn the streetlights off here often so it can be hard to see the snow, and the stuff seems to always arrive at night..

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny. Cold and sunny.

This mild winter still comes with some good news. Tesco are stuck with millions of those plastic snow shovels.

Posted

The ECM 00z from last night reminds me of a beautiful woman, nice to look at and daydream about :D

It looks great t192 onwards, shame that it's practically FI though at the moment and GFS isn't having any of it

ECM1-192.GIF

and changes her mind 4 times a day? :p

This mild winter still comes with some good news. Tesco are stuck with millions of those plastic snow shovels.

Mild winters do have their bonuses I suppose, lower heating, work without disruption, longer spring and summer??

Who am I kidding.......this sucks balls!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

.... Tesco are stuck with millions of those plastic snow shovels.

Haha, yes...for now - but in the meantime I bet they wish they sold fence panels - B&Q in MK were the only DIY place for 40 miles to still have any in stock !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Surprise surprise, 18z GFS is a stinker again, all I keep seeing on the models this Winter is zonal, zonal, zonal, zonal and did I mention zonal?

Yawn.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

I wouldn't get disheartened. There have been some tentative signs this weekend and thats a great start i reckon. I reckon we'll see an increasing chance over the next week or two of interesting things appearing in the models.

However, what is certain is that the next 5-7 days could possibly the most dull of the whole winter. Extreme dullness...expect weather warning of extreme boredom to be issued very soon.

Weather forecasts will consist of the camera being on the weather presenter, he/she simply shrugs his/her shouders and sighs...and thats it!

Or it'll be of an empty studio with a kettle boiling away and an empty mug with a tea bag in it waiting to be filled.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Shame to see the GFS 18Z discard the Easterly/North-Easterly...

post-10703-0-64795600-1326065340_thumb.p

...But I suppose it was in deep Fantasy Island anyway (where the previous GFS runs started to pick out an Easterly). I agree with Gord with the fact all is not lost, and I think since numerous models yesterday suddenly started to pick up on a possible Easterly, then there is always a chance of it being brought back. And if that strong Polar Vortex is still haunting those runs, I think a 'PV destroying potion' will be in order! :D

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Weather forecasts will consist of the camera being on the weather presenter, he/she simply shrugs his/her shouders and sighs...and thats it!

Or it'll be of an empty studio with a kettle boiling away and an empty mug with a tea bag in it waiting to be filled.

lol or this....

post-10773-0-60465700-1326096078_thumb.j

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny. Cold and sunny.

11.6c here in Lowestoft today. The bin men just arrived at our office wearing shorts and t-shirts. It has been a funny old winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seems like a dry day is not possible, high pressure now and still raining, sometimes I can be too optimistic, i was thinking this would be a dry week, would even pay for a dry day

Posted

Did someone say snow?

at T+150hrs (Sunday) so not exactly FI Will probably be gone by the 12z so thought I'd have a ramp now!

post-2036-0-20315900-1326120046_thumb.pn

post-2036-0-78004700-1326120137_thumb.pn

post-2036-0-15497000-1326120265_thumb.pn

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

I know the models usually have a bit of a 'wobble' after the first couple of days in regards to a potential cold spell.

Maybe this is the same sort of thing?

They seem to have got back on track somewhat today at least and as TB says above, there's a wee bit of white stuff potential at the weekend?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I know the models usually have a bit of a 'wobble' after the first couple of days in regards to a potential cold spell.

Maybe this is the same sort of thing?

They seem to have got back on track somewhat today at least and as TB says above, there's a wee bit of white stuff potential at the weekend?

Good bring it on, I've got a good feeling about second half of Jan and Feb. What has happened to Ben-cams ? I miss his informative

posts in the regional threads.