Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted

I am very optimistic in nature, but today is the first time I've thought about a snowless winter!

Really? Today has been the first time I've been seriously thinking we might see snow down here before winter's out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i must say i cant remembor a snowless winter here in brum. Talking of spring-summer i bet we get a beep of n.blocking just when we don't need it with the jet taking a trip down south. Sods law isn't it.

Posted

How was 97/98 in the West Midlands? I was living in Lowestoft at the time and it was snowless there.

What about 88/89?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

all winters in 90's were good, not like the crap of today! 97-98, cold in Dec, snow on 17th, heavy snow 05th Jan 98, was also snow on Wed 15th April 1998

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

Well, with yet another snow possiblity for next week has been wiped of I feel like were going to keep on chasing snow that is a week or so away and never really getting here. However the 18z may bring next weeks snow potential back!

Really? Today has been the first time I've been seriously thinking we might see snow down here before winter's out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Oh no. Not game over again?!

not at all......that's the problem with 'knee-jerk reaction' posts like the one above...No disrespect Staffs but your post is based on one model run (which is also an inaccurate interpretation IMHO)....The best advice as has been mentioned before is to compare like for like runs as opposed to consecutive runs as trends become far more apparent...In fact today's runs are far more favourable to wintry conditions than yesterdays... :)

Posted

Non taken, but it definately feels like we seem to be chasing snow, don't you think? I mean it is looking good at the moment and was a week ago also but it's always a week or so ahead!

not at all......that's the problem with 'knee-jerk reaction' posts like the one above...No disrespect Staffs but your post is based on one model run (which is also an inaccurate interpretation IMHO)....The best advice as has been mentioned before is to compare like for like runs as opposed to consecutive runs as trends become far more apparent...In fact today's runs are far more favourable to wintry conditions than yesterdays... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

all winters in 90's were good, not like the crap of today! 97-98, cold in Dec, snow on 17th, heavy snow 05th Jan 98, was also snow on Wed 15th April 1998

Disagree with that. Both 1991/92 and 1992/93 and 1997/98 were all very poor for both falling and lying snow. Even at this altitude the first two had only 6 and 7 mornings with lying snow respectively and 1997/98 was worst of the lot with just 2 days.

Until 2007/08 the winter of 1992/93 held the record for the least amount of accumulated snow with just 9.8cm over the 3 months.

This winter apart from 5 lovely very cold days 13th to 17th has been awful BUT some do have short memories it seems as the previous three winters had some interest for us coldies, one bad winter doesnt mean we wont get some good winters in the future, with summer not offering anything special since 2006 that is what you should be most concerned about :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah 13th-17th feb great, also sleet/wet snow from 16-18 Dec, last time I had lying snow was 7th Jan last year, lying snow is rare and a novelty, thats why we all like it!

but of course if I lived 300m asl in scotland, who knows, I may be fed up to the teeth of the snow

Posted

The wind has increased again here this evening after decreasing towards sunset. Currently gusting to 59 mph.

Posted

Disagree with that. Both 1991/92 and 1992/93 and 1997/98 were all very poor for both falling and lying snow. Even at this altitude the first two had only 6 and 7 mornings with lying snow respectively and 1997/98 was worst of the lot with just 2 days.

Until 2007/08 the winter of 1992/93 held the record for the least amount of accumulated snow with just 9.8cm over the 3 months.

There was me thinking I'd banished all memories of those three, plus 1998/99 and 1999/2000.which gave 1cm of lying snow between them.

But this winter it's like the worst of the 90s again (Please give us a repeat of February 1994 or March 1995!)

2006-7 is the only winter I can remember that had any days with lying snow, the first of which was after January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny. Cold and sunny.

A glorious sunny day here on the east coast. Heading out shortly to do a photo-shoot, the winter light is fantastic. Rather breezy though. Temperature is 10.2c.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A west Wales and central Midlands centric guide to the weeks weather (Monday 23rd to Sunday 29th January)

Headline: Unsettled and often mild, drier and colder later

January is shaping up to be another mild Winter month, with virtually no snow yet for most of us, and a lack of hard frosts (nothing below -5c yet for Llanwnnen).

Probably too much breeze and cloud for any ground frost tonight, so just a touch here and there to start with Monday morning.

A weak ridge of high pressure should give most of us a dry, bright day, although cooler than of late. Light winds and clearing skies will lead to a slight frost Monday night, although a warm front arrives in west Wales melting it before dawn here. After a cold start, mild air spreads east to all parts, so a mostly cloudy day with mostly light rain or drizzle at times, mainly for west Wales.

Low pressure to the north west keeps it mostly cloudy, with further rain at times during Wednesday, this becoming heavier later as the cold front moves in. Another mild day, temperatures reaching around 10c, with a strong south west wind too. Thursday sees colder west to north west winds bringing sunny intervals and rain or showers, these heavy at times, and perhaps turning wintry later, especially over the hills.

Now the models have been suggesting that a large blocking high over Russia could well start to effect us by next weekend, leading to cold blast from the east. This now seems unlikely, and what we should see is high pressure building over England and Wales from the south west, and, so although rather cold, still no severe cold on the horizon just yet!

Drying out next Friday, and indeed it's looking at this stage like a dry weekend too, with sunny spells by day, but frosty, and possibly foggy nights. Temperatures falling below zero by night and struggling up to around 4 to 5c by day, and even colder should the fog persist through the morning.

For supportive model charts see the Wales thread:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71920-wales-regional-weather-discussion/page__st__840

Posted

An almost permanent rainbow to the north west in the last hour as persistent light showers feed in from the west and there's enough clear sky to keep the sun shining.

Posted

That is one hell of a weird warning!

Can't really see enough rain to warrant a warning for the MIdlands!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I don't want to jump the gun here but going on current model runs today and the general feeling I have at the moment about where the Weather for the UK is heading over the coming weeks... All I can say is.. I can smell a beast from the East brewing.

Posted

That is one hell of a weird warning!

Can't really see enough rain to warrant a warning for the MIdlands!

It is a very select area. I get the impression it's designed to cover the high ground of Lancashire and the western half of the Peak District which have been quite wet recently and could get another 30-50mm giving the risk of some local flooding.

It does seem strange though that the high ground of Wales or Cumbria is not included.