Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands, East Anglia and Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very cold out there now with temperatures significantly lower than forecast. Met Office expected about -1c at Midnight yet its already -4c here with Birmingham Airport at -6c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Morning guys. I have a funny fieling that we gona misout on snow this week again like we did in december. It's fustrating but there it is. I think most of the snow is gona be for the north. I hope im wrong and we c some snow showers at the end of this week.

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

For all you coldies out there, we still have half of the Winter still left (I know it's always tomorrow) but to lighten the mood , I enclose the link to the 20th Century's worst Winter - 1947 ....and it did'nt start until 21st January ...and lasted until mid March - enjoy the article..! http://www.winter1947.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946%E2%80%931947_in_the_United_Kingdom

The snow charts are astonishing reading http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gesc_b/Pages/updated%20Snow%20depth%20and%20snow%20cover%20for%20website.htm Enjoy!!

Edited by yorkieblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Impressive frost again overnight and some gardens really do look like they have had a dusting of snow now! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers

For all you coldies out there, we still have half of the Winter still left (I know it's always tomorrow) but to lighten the mood , I enclose the link to the 20th Century's worst Winter - 1947 ....and it did'nt start until 21st January ...and lasted until mid March - enjoy the article..! http://www.winter1947.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

The snow charts are astonishing reading http://homepage.ntlw...r%20website.htm Enjoy!!

Thanks for this, amazing images. I wasn't around that time but have very vague memories of 1963 & 1982 wasn't half bad either! Here's hoping....

Posted

Thanks for this, amazing images. I wasn't around that time but have very vague memories of 1963 & 1982 wasn't half bad either! Here's hoping....

I was'nt around either Rose :-) ..but had great chats with my mum about it ...you never know !:-)

Posted

metoffice update full of potential for cold - a 50/50 scenario as they see it between cold snowy weather and mild (as-you-were) rain for the tail end of January and beginning of February. Whatever one of these patterns establishes itself, they see it as lasting for sometime - with the East the most vulnerable to snowfall if the former scenario occurs.

Posted

metoffice update full of potential for cold - a 50/50 scenario as they see it between cold snowy weather and mild (as-you-were) rain for the tail end of January and beginning of February. Whatever one of these patterns establishes itself, they see it as lasting for sometime - with the East the most vulnerable to snowfall if the former scenario occurs.

I just saw the meto update and I'm really hoping we do get the "very much colder" weather, although I'm in two minds because I just got an allotment and I'd like to get started on it as soon as possible.

The cold weather is gonna put the braks on that, so I'm sure we'll bloody get it! :p

Posted

Barely made it above freezing to day (1.3C), and still very frosty. Temp currently -0.4C, and dropping quite quickly.

Posted

Been a very nice spell of weather here (apart from being ill again!), may be able to scrape a fifth-consecutive airfrost in the early hours before the milder weather moves in.

The Met office update earlier was very interesting regarding colder weather prospects, as the Met are certainly and always have been very cautious when it comes to mentioning colder weather, though time will tell if we do indeed have a much colder spell of weather at the end of the month- early Feb or a more normal UK winter pattern.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

I am actually the most encouraged I've been all winter so far. We are certainly getting closer...but still a way to go. So many hurdles to get over...and if cold does arrive there's even more hurdles on a local level here in the West Midlands.

This could be it then....however, if it all goes wrong then I certainly don't think that'll be it for the winter as others are suggesting.

As for the next 7 days...meh...not a lot of interest. Some wind and rain...a few blustery showers which may give us the odd moment of mayhem to enjoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

People are talking end of january early feb, I hope this is true, it's just when I get back from holiday :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Looks to me like the only time we will hit double figures is weds for a short time .Then max highs of 7 by day during this mild blip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

People keep saying its 50/50 for cold/mild outlook, but I dont understand when their talking about this week/next week/next month.

7-10 days time...... it's always 7-10 days time! :search: :lol:

People are talking end of january early feb, I hope this is true

Hopefully :unknw:

Looks to me like the only time we will hit double figures is weds for a short time

7 degrees here already this morning, there was a thick frost last night but it's mild and damp now......

......but not for long with any luck :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Looking more positive for the white stuff from Thursday night onwards for the North Midlands!

maybe for high ground,not so good for low ground

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Rain now moving away but still 100% cloud and mist.

Temperature up to 8.0c now after being -0.1c at midnight.

MIA

Posted

Encouraging ensembles from the GFS recently with 850hpa temps hovering around -5c. Marginal but this very much resembles the cool zonality we had in December and by now things should be even more favourable now. Lets hope this is right and will not return to mild muck again.

Marginal but this very much resembles the cool zonality we had in December

Cool zonality is useless for us in the west/south midlands for us wanting decent moderate to severe air frosts, the recent very cold spell was a million times better than that early december one, temps are near average in cool zonality here even slightly above at night because of too much breeze, i recorded -5C earlier in the week with some wonderful hoar frost scenes lasting all day with temps just above 0C and below in the countryside, it was a very good cold spell that went mostly unnoticed by the model discussion looking for phantom easterly crew. :D

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Is it game on or game over for snowy cold weather next week?

Unfortunately, nothing is locked on, at the moment I reckon we are looking more likely to have milder, or cool weather, though the chance exists for cold weather, the met summary sums it up quite well:

. There remains considerable uncertainty regarding the weather during the last few days of January. The slightly more probable scenario at present is that conditions will remain similar to those described above (wet and quite mild). However there is also a significant risk of much colder weather becoming established right across the UK, with snow in places and widespread overnight frosts.

The forecast for the first half of February is very uncertain. As with the day 6 to 15 forecast, there appear to be two main scenarios, each equally probable, but which are very different. It is also fairly likely that the prevailing weather type at the end of January will continue into February. The first scenario consists of a changeable westerly or southwesterly type, with rain at times (amounts greatest in the west), and with temperatures noticeably above average for early February, with only occasional frosts. The alternative scenario is that very much colder weather, with winds from an easterly or northeasterly quarter, will prevail well into February, bringing widespread frosts, and snow to some areas. In this scenario it would be the east that was most vulnerable to snowfall.