Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - January

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

then your wintere forecast is wrong! better luck next time!

sorry didnt read your whole comment

Alot of peoples winter forecasts are wrong but thats why it is a forecast, if long range forecasting was so simple there'd be no fun in it. I think my forecast went wrong after christmas and I DID call the record mild around christmas and strong winds in the first half.

You need to realise that even if everyone says elephant on here, it could still turn out to be a giraffe. So fickle is the weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

A chance of some wet snow tomorrow for a while on higher ground, pomeroy might see something if he's lucky but wouldn't hold much hope for anything more than hail and sleet here, nothing too exciting really but at least its a bit of weather

Little else to be talking about of late, I'm not really buying the whole 'models are struggling so there must be cold on the way' idea thats been going on for weeks now. Looking beyond 96h has been pretty pointless of late and everything in the reliable timeframe has been boring with no sign of anything cold which looks set to continue for the coming week unfortunately

Posted

A chance of some wet snow tomorrow for a while on higher ground, pomeroy might see something if he's lucky but wouldn't hold much hope for anything more than hail and sleet here, nothing too exciting really but at least its a bit of weather

Little else to be talking about of late, I'm not really buying the whole 'models are struggling so there must be cold on the way' idea thats been going on for weeks now. Looking beyond 96h has been pretty pointless of late and everything in the reliable timeframe has been boring with no sign of anything cold which looks set to continue for the coming week unfortunately

Nope Harps just sleety showers here really nothing to be excited about.

Why do I get the awful feeling that is going to be a cold wet spring :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It was a bit of a mixed bag weather wise there! I guess there goes my hopes of a birthday blizzard today :(. Love when it snows on my birthday. Hopefully February will give us something decent- I dont hold out much hope for the rest of this month.

Posted

Miserable auld day today, tiny bit of sleetiness in the rain. Got this pic on the way to Belfast on the train.

post-7838-0-96876500-1327056597_thumb.jp

Edited by The watcher

Posted

This has to be the worst winter in a long time!! It's really frying my head! So quiet in here!! Think we have about 2/3 weeks from now to nail something or we will have to wait until next winter!! The days are getting longer now and spring us approaching so we are fast running out if time!! What's everyones thoughts in what the models ate currently showing?

Posted

Think of the long days this way, more time to enjoy the snow-fest fun!

Losing hope, but won't admit defeat yet.

**EDIT**

Looking at the GFS 18z, I'm losing all hope!

Edited by Rocheydub

Posted

All good things come to those who wait..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120122/18/384/h850t850eu.png

I still believe that any proper cold is going to come from the north initially.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Cant belive how bad this winter has been,we've known some poor winters in our time but this one really is a dogs dinner as regards cold and snow. I dont know what will happen for the rest of this winter but it just seems that its just not our year this year,those persistant strong heights to the south just dont want to go and until they do i would not be too hopefull. But i suppose you never know what the models might be showing in a week or two but we are now starting to run out of time.

Posted

Well, we have 3 options.

Accept that its most likely to remain largely snowless for at least another 2 weeks.

Clutch at straws for the elusive Easterly that would mainly only deliver to SE.England and Eastern Uk

Or 3, wait a little longer to see what the models do in a week.

I also agree with Mountain Shadow in a Northerly being more likely in 10-14 days.

Posted

ECHO ECHO

God its like summer in this place even Stormforce doesn't bother posting his daily weather update anymore!

I can't be doing with this will it wont it easterly nonsense on the MT, lets be honest if it doesn't have enough strength its as good as a fart in an elevator for us!!

Give me a decent Northerly any time, anyway what are peoples thoughts for spring........

Posted

Patience PS, this could end up as a NE'ly or N'ly if the HP keeps going west!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Snow on higher ground for Thursday, the usual atlantic stuff so its not going to be anything too exciting. Looking like an easterly flow next week which would bring in cold air but probably dry for most of us, too early to call yet

Posted

With the atlantic reluctant to give way, there could be an interesting battleground situation with colder contintental air meeting the atlantic. The Met Office have gone for it, so hopefully we will see cross model support on the 0z tomorrow.

Posted

Well models still not quite sorted yet, don't even need to tell you all which one, yes you guessed it, GFS. Although still not unrealistic. Problem I have with what is being modelled though is, if you thought England was on a knife edge, we are even more so. It could quite Easily be an East/West split with midlands East in the battleground area and West of that in mild SW winds.

IF at any point during this saga the high to our South decides to move North towards Iceland, be prepared for Very Severe Cold and Snow.

Posted

So what you are saying is that anything could happen!! I would be gutted if the first scenario was to come off and the East got all the action! When do you think the finer details will be nailed Watcher? This just seems to be dragging out big time! I would be happy at this stage to take a 24/48 hour event!!