Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 2)

A.J

Posted

Morning all, lovely day so far. Still below freezing (just) in Caerphilly, so am happy with that thus far.

If we get some white stuff later the dog will get a weeks worth of walkies in a day, fingers crossed or a trip to the mountains!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Morning all, lovely day so far. Still below freezing (just) in Caerphilly, so am happy with that thus far.

If we get some white stuff later the dog will get a weeks worth of walkies in a day, fingers crossed or a trip to the mountains!

Awww sounds lovely good luck :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Temp here 2.2C and dp of 1C, when the band reaches here eventually i see it starting as rain, maybe turing to snow later if the temps can drop a bit! Is the front any further west or east that what the models have shown?

Posted

ppn now gone to rain :(, hopefully snow will stick and gain intensity tonight as it comes from the irish sea....

Posted

Temp here 2.2C and dp of 1C, when the band reaches here eventually i see it starting as rain, maybe turing to snow later if the temps can drop a bit! Is the front any further west or east that what the models have shown?

Good morning folks - how is everyone on this bright - soon to be snowy day!

Looks to me like the front is slightly ahead of schedule if you check GFS

NAE looking good - convinced the sweet spots are in south wales

and progging a few days of the white stuff

12012918_2906.gif

GFS looking good - great snowy potential

ECM looking good

I hope you all get the snow you are after folks - enjoy yourselves

I will certainly let you know when the first flakes hits up in Pontypridd land

Posted

2 degrees here in the Rhymney Valley - Dew Point just above freezing - got down to -1.4 last night but the coldest temperature I've recorded here in 2012 is -2.8 so hopefully some (local) 2012 records looking to be created shortly. Got a -11.2 last year so some way to go yet - Driving to Oxford later today so hope the snow can hold off until later this evening.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

2 degrees here in the Rhymney Valley - Dew Point just above freezing - got down to -1.4 last night but the coldest temperature I've recorded here in 2012 is -2.8 so hopefully some (local) 2012 records looking to be created shortly. Got a -11.2 last year so some way to go yet - Driving to Oxford later today so hope the snow can hold off until later this evening.

Hi Steve,

You might be off in the middle of it by the looks of it as it seems a couple of hours ahead of schedule but the intensity does not currently look that good so you might be fine.....

JK

Posted

thanks John - looking to leave about 2pm - back home by 7pm hopefully - Gonna drop into Newport and pick up my laptop on the way home from work just in case tomorrow mornings a white no go :0)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Just a few light spots of rain here too, nothing like the radar seems to be showing.

Posted

thanks John - looking to leave about 2pm - back home by 7pm hopefully - Gonna drop into Newport and pick up my laptop on the way home from work just in case tomorrow mornings a white no go :0)

Hi Steve,

I think you are going to be ok within those timescales especially with the temperature currently rising (and I am 2 miles up the road from you as you know) - so a bit concerned that the mild sector is stronger than first anticipated but when the cold fights back through the day therein lies the hope of white stuff. (I am playing bowls over in Pontllanfraith so looking as though I will be ok to play).

I assume you are still in Ty Nant as well - how is my old street (I still pop past every couple of days because my sister in law lives in Peny Bont behind you) ?

JK

Posted

STILL dry here despite the radar showing ppn in the area. Officially impatient now! Temp 0.8c

Posted

3.3'c dew 2.0 :( ppn rain...

Come join me on chat

Edited by Snowmadsam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Just drove home from my girlfriends in Llantristant. Temperature on the car pretty much 2c all the way, but 1c here. On my weather station Im on 0.8c and rising. Here's hoping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

morning all ..temp 2.4c here in Rhoose ..cant see any snow until tonight when the temps drop away ..looks like the rain is not far away on the radar !

Posted

Dull but no precipitation here in the upper Rhondda. Temperature 1.4C. Hoping the snow holds off until at least late afternoon if only I have dinner arranged some 15 miles away later:-)

Posted

curently 2.1 here in blackwood gwent,really cloudy hoping this is the calm before the storm,keeping everything crossed,do you guys think i'm pushing it if i dont iron the kids school clothes or am i jinxing things?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Should we be concerned at all that the front is ahead of where it is predicted? as in it might end up further east than we want?

NAE looks better again today for snow potential, temps colder than yesterday and Dewpoints also lower.

http://www.weatheron...&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=

It also appears the precipitation is moving SE rather than E.

However TV forecasts do not tend to match up, they really are downplaying potential and that is a concern especially as they have higher definition maps similar to NAE which we do not see.

Posted

Should we be concerned at all that the front is ahead of where it is predicted? as in it might end up further east than we want?

because it has arrived early I have no chance now..I don't think....

Posted

Hi DeepSnow,

I think that is what the worry is - if it is advancing quicker than anticipated it is either stronger than expected hence bringing milder air in further inland, hence more rain and warmer temperatures or the cold front is not giving as much 'opposition' which is more worrying because it is not going to push back and cause the snow that is wanted.

The chart runs this morning according to the MOD thread are a little bit mixed and there seems to be a downbeat mood appearing in there but I think this will improve later when we get the 12z runs underway later this afternoon.

JK

Posted

I still think we need a little patience - metos mountain forecast for the beacons mentions that the precip will turn to snow more readily as the afternoon goes on into the evening - bit like baking a cake - need all the ingredients just so, to make a delicious finished cake - same here with the cold uppers digging in and the front just positioned nicely - (oh - bake at gas mark...........) :smilz38:

NAE for 12 midday and 6pm this afternoon

12012912_2906.gif

12012918_2906.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Can't cope with waiting anymore, going for a drive further west to see if there's anything going on! Temp 1.1c