Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Thats the warning, if you look at the charts it shows just rain and not much at that either. Seems to drizzle then fizzle out.

hehe I think your the Ian Brown on the South West thread ! lol. For our area Weathe , I think the question is will we see falliing Snow, or just Icy rain,, I can guess your position on that though lol.

Posted

hehe I think your the Ian Brown on the South West thread ! lol. For our area Weathe , I think the question is will we see falliing Snow, or just Icy rain,, I can guess your position on that though lol.

Go to the metoffice for south west england all you will see their forecast. It shows just a little rain. Now to put this to bed, I want lots of cold and snow. I hope to see some later but the front hasnt really moved in 6 hrs so when some ppn reaches our area it will probably be light. We will see. I will be first to shout if i see snow, dont worry about that mate. NO IAN BROWN HERE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Check the radars in real time later tonight and into tomorrow and IF the precipitation is trending more HEAVILY it will turn to SNOW eventually imho. It is then a case of how much starts to settle. :good:

Already turning to sleety snow over southwest and a large part of Wales so all is looking good.

Good Luck all in the favoured localities.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

hehe don't sound to promising on low ground does it .... using the words a slushy covering could not be ruled out . Snow falling looks 70% at the minute to me though ... them Wales temps are already very low so they are going to do well... anybody fancy taking the Taunton - Cardiff Train lol

yes i think it may come down to now casting :acute: all aboard the taunton -cardiff train whooooo whooooo :acute: :acute: :acute: :acute: mob up

Posted

Where are they located? If you have a sensor below 1 metre it will show colder reading because ground temperature is different to air temperature because cold air sinks hence why you get a ground frost on a clear night even though air temperature might be up at around 3c.

Either that or one may just be closer to a heat source?

Wellington school, Watchet, Burnham and Weston. Ah well not to worry, I can smell snow, we will be alright :D

Snowmadchris> I just tried to PM you but it said your box is full, empty it lad! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,

dont recon much tonight here on the mendips , main event MAY be this time next week according to simon , after a severe frost midweek ,

Edited by andybk

Posted

Check the radars in real time later tonight and into tomorrow and IF the precipitation is trending more HEAVILY it will turn to SNOW eventually imho. It is then a case of how much starts to settle. :good:

Already turning to sleety snow over southwest and a large part of Wales so all is looking good.

Good Luck all in the favoured localities.

gottolovethisweather

Wheres the sleet in the sw?

Posted

dont recon much tonight here on the mendips , main event MAY be this time next week according to simon , after a severe frost midweek ,

Simon changes his forecast with every single model run!! And then asks you click on adverts to make him money!!

Posted

Go to the metoffice for south west england all you will see their forecast. It shows just a little rain. Now to put this to bed, I want lots of cold and snow. I hope to see some later but the front hasnt really moved in 6 hrs so when some ppn reaches our area it will probably be light. We will see. I will be first to shout if i see snow, dont worry about that mate. NO IAN BROWN HERE.

haha I was joking with you buddy ... Don't worry about them computer generated maps there always wrong even on normal times of the year. There written forecast is a bit more promising for Eastern counties Rain and hill snow continuing through much of the night across the region. Snow possible to lower levels at times in any heavier spells, mainly across eastern counties. Minimum temperature -1 °C. and we are pretty much on the Eastern side of our region . The 850's have also got Colder than forecast yesterday ..

Wellington school, Watchet, Burnham and Weston. Ah well not to worry, I can smell snow, we will be alright :D

Snowmadchris> I just tried to PM you but it said your box is full, empty it lad! :D

hehe its always playing up ... add me to facebook . http://www.facebook.com/purecharmer

Posted

I think somerset,devon, dorset will get sleet Wales will get snow, but just my thoughts x

Done.

The sky over Daisy mansions is proper snowy. That is of course a technical term. ;)

From the netweather radar (NW Extra) you can clearly see there is patchy rain across Bristol, N.Somerset and Somerset. Hopefully later the heavy ppn will turn up with temps on the decrease.

Posted

From the netweather radar (NW Extra) you can clearly see there is patchy rain across Bristol, N.Somerset and Somerset. Hopefully later the heavy ppn will turn up with temps on the decrease.

It will turn up lol .... I'll be on the train to yatton if its bledy hevy rain on the coast lollll

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

:smiliz19: SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #005

ISSUED: 1300UTC SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY 2012 (GJ/SM)

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

NORTHERN IRELAND

WESTERN SCOTLAND

SOUTHERN SCOTLAND

WALES

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND

WEST MIDLANDS

EAST MIDLANDS

EAST ANGLIA

SOUTHEAST ENGLAND

IN EFFECT FROM 1500UTC SUNDAY 29TH UNTIL 1200UTC WEDNESDAY 1ST FEBRUARY 2012

BLOCKING PATTERN OF HIGH PRESSURE INTRODUCING COLDER AIR FROM THE EAST, UNDERCUTTING SATURATED MILD AIR TO THE WEST

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE WEATHER AFFECTING THE INDICATED REGIONS IN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WATCH INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

SNOW...ICING...SNOWCOVER MAINTENANCE...PERSISTENT SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURES

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS GOOD MODEL CONFIDENCE ON THE POSSIBILITY OF A SEVERE WEATHER RISK FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE WEEK. A BREAKDOWN IN THE ATLANTIC INFLUENCE AND A BUILDING HIGH PRESSURE TO THE FAR ENE WILL BEGIN TO INTRODUCE PROGRESSIVELY COLDER AIR FROM THE CONTINENT. THOUGH COASTAL AREAS REMAIN MILD, AREAS INLAND MAY SEE TEMPS AS LOW AS -5C. A DISRUPTING TROUGH JUST TO THE EAST OF THE UK, OVER MILD SEA TMPERATURES, WILL ALSO ADD TO THE POTENTIAL FOR SUCCESSIVE SNOW SHOWERS INLAND OF COASTS FOR EASTERN REGIONS. OVER WESTERN REGIONS, A QUASI-STATIC WARM FRONT WILL BE UNDERCUT BY THE COLDER AIR INFLUENCE, INTRODUCING THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSISTENT SLEET AND SNOWFALL PERHAPS HEAVY AT TIMES LATER IN THE PERIOD. DISRUPTIVE ACCUMULATIONS MAY ONLY OCCUR ABOVE 300M, BUT TEMPERATURES REMAINING BELOW ZERO MAY SEE LOWLAND AREAS MAINTAIN SURFACE ICING AND SNOW OR REFROZEN SLUSH, GENERATING HAZARDS FOR INFRASTRUCTURE.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED AND SPOTTERS ARE REQUESTED TO REPORT ALL FACTORS EXCEEDING ACTIVATION CRITERIA.

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

Posted

It will turn up lol .... I'll be on the train to yatton if its bledy hevy rain on the coast lollll

Ha ha most welcome! Last winter I drove from Nailsea after work it was -6 at midnight, got to weston, it was +1! Weston is the warmest place in winter!!! lol :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The radar is doing my head in today it has had me under light ppn for most of day but clearly nothing is outside lol

I'm starting to doubt this front is going to really make an impact into somerset and bristol. ;) graphics on bbc look very patchy now also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It'll be fine, it's gone past midday now, temps will start to fall, the main event is some distance away, it'll be fine! I'm just driving myself crazy being a geek!

Posted

Done.

The sky over Daisy mansions is proper snowy. That is of course a technical term. ;)

hehe got to nip down the gala now but will be back about 4 , hopefully we will have some progress by then .. xx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I'm literally able to see SE Wales from my house and they're predicted to get snow. Problem is it usually turns back to sleet/rain when it heads across the Severn towards me. It really is hit and miss for my area - always has been. We either get snow and nobody around us does, or everyone around us does and we don't! (Unless there is a proper widespread snow event obviously)

If I'm honest it feels like one of those situations where I'll wake up to be disappointed, so I'm trying not to want it to much just to start Monday with even more blues :p However, I think there's going to plenty of opportunities for snow if the cold continues through this week after what's looking to be predominantly dry start. Parts of my town are lowland/flood plain, some is higher up against a hill, but still not that high above sea level so elevation isn't in our favour. It's quite common to see the surrounding fields above us have snow, but none down in the town itself.

Also we are only 3-4 miles from the River Severn coast so that can often mean we won't get any here in these types of weather scenarios.

Can only wait and see with nowcasting I guess! :) That's if the front makes it in that far. Good luck all for those wanting snow anyway. If its any consolation, usually if I don't get any here, Bristol often ends up with a covering as I drive into work lol :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just picked my daughter up from school,she's been to pila/italy (alps) on school trip,it only snowed once over there that was yesterday whilst leaving,ironically she could see snow tonight here :good:

Edited by suxer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I have noticed after pausing the bbc24 weather and comparing there prediction for 1500hrs that the big area into northern england and the minute which iv been watching for hours has not only really developed but i was totally amazed the weather didnt even acknoledge it been there , they had the ppn over the irish sea toward ireland which is about 100miles west from where it actually is now. Now thats hope isnt it?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Ians latest tweet made me laugh...

Don't get too excited....v uncertain amounts!!! “@mainlysarcastic: The wellies are now clean of Glastonbury mud and ready for the snow. :Dâ€

colder ramper at heart :clapping:

still uncertain means there is always hope!

Edited by mullender83