Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Feels like I'm in here all on my own tonight :( but just to reminisce... Does anyone remember the times that Angwin would say, "no risk for snow in our region, apart from the mendips..." and then all hell would break loose?! I'm wondering whether tomorrow/Monday could be like this..... Dreaming?!

Posted

Feels like I'm in here all on my own tonight :( but just to reminisce... Does anyone remember the times that Angwin would say, "no risk for snow in our region, apart from the mendips..." and then all hell would break loose?! I'm wondering whether tomorrow/Monday could be like this..... Dreaming?!

Fingers crossed i think we may be to far south

Posted

Fingers crossed i think we may be to far south

Hopefully not. Guess we won't find out til it happens

Posted

When did angwin leave points west?

Must have been earlier last year, can't quite remember. Ian Fergusson doing a fantastic job in his place :)

Posted

may that long ago?? Thought was lyk September, anyways hes now based in the med i think, doin aljazeeri are how ever you spell it world weather

Posted

Gfs 18z is another epic run for here. tomomrow and monday look good for snow possible on the mendips so im taking a walk up there at some point :) shepton mallet is around 150 m above sea level so with met office guidance they have a good chance and frome maybe. so if we say shepton mallet is the snow line. then places like wells, yeovil, wincanton will be on the wrong side. i always say if its not snowing in shepton then it will not here :)

Edited by David-kig

Posted

Gfs 18z is another epic run for here. tomomrow and monday look good for snow possible on the mendips so im taking a walk up there at some point :) shepton mallet is around 150 m above sea level so with met office guidance they have a good chance and frome maybe. so if we say shepton mallet is the snow line. then places like wells, yeovil, wincanton will be on the wrong side. i always say if its not snowing in shepton then it will not here :)

yeovil wont get any snow why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Some interesting tweets from Ian Fergusson here:

Ian Fergusson @fergieweather

Forest of Dean also likely to see some snow proving disruptive on roads later Sun into Mon.

“@DerekTheWeather: Met Office Chief Forecaster 9.10pm: "snow amounts the main uncertainty. Biggest totals in 48 hours are in SE Wales".â€

Latest UKMO analysis tends to heighten snow likelihood for W Country later Sun into Mon, incl at lower levels, eg Taunton, Bristol etc....

Posted

yeovil wont get any snow why?

if its a higher ground event for snow only above 150 asl then yeovil will miss out as its low ground at 80 asl or so. shepton mallet is alot higher then yeovil why i say if its not snowing there then it wont be places i said from experience

Posted

Some interesting tweets from Ian Fergusson here:

Forest of Dean also likely to see some snow proving disruptive on roads later Sun into Mon.

“@DerekTheWeather: Met Office Chief Forecaster 9.10pm: "snow amounts the main uncertainty. Biggest totals in 48 hours are in SE Wales".â€

Latest UKMO analysis tends to heighten snow likelihood for W Country later Sun into Mon, incl at lower levels, eg Taunton, Bristol etc....

You beat me to it! Just about to go to bed, and I see his tweets, now I'm going to be like a child at Christmas! Yes, I'm 30, I should know better....

Edited by khodds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

You beat me to it! Just about to go to bed, and I see his tweets, now I'm going to be like a child at Christmas! Yes, I'm 30, I should know better....

you and me both ( and 30 )...

Im like a damn child!

Im also very close to the "SE of Wales" sooooo... Hmmm

Im quite excited.. These charts are showing some VERY cold weather coming.. ( Maybe not so snowy next week..) but still. plenty of time for a few fronts n stuff.

Posted

with this in mind anything could happen but as a guidline as i said that most times during a marginal set up it come into use. like feb 2009 snow lasted in shepton mallet for a week when evercreeh, wincanton melted in 3 days. and a low in jan 2010 that were a marginal set up from the altantic was very wet snow on low ground to begin with shepton mallet higher seing it turn to snow quicker. christmas 2004 was a good example of a marginal set up. Edited by David-kig

Posted

with this in mind anything could happen but as a guidline as i said that most times during a marginal set up it come into use. like feb 2009 snow lasted in shepton mallet for a week when evercreeh, wincanton melted in 3 days. and a low in jan that were a marginal set up.from the altantic was very wet snow on low ground to begin with shepton mallet higher seing it turn to snow quicker. christmas 2004 was a good example of a marginal set up.

I personally dont think its anywhere near as marginal as people say..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

In a good way or bad way??

Posted

In a good way or bad way??

I see....

Depends on your view lol...

I persoanally think that anywhere slightly inland has a good chance. Theres a firm -5 850hpa above us now so id be shocked if people didnt see any snow from it.. Maybe initally sleet but tuning snowy in heavy bursts..

I think the main issue with tomorrows / mondays snow potential is just how far it gets east.. It might not even make it to our areas! OR it might get past our areas giving LARGE amounts of snow.. OR once again going too far east and turning back to rain.

Posted

yes its up in the air still but if it goes to far east then these problems will occur i suspect. with ian tweets then its looking promising still.

Posted

yes its up in the air still but if it goes to far east then these problems will occur i suspect. with ian tweets then its looking promising still.

Agreed. Having Ian and the METO on board for potential heavy snow for SE wales , bristol / sw etc. is quite promising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Im also very close to the "SE of Wales" sooooo... Hmmm

Was thinking the same thing, I can se wales from town, can't get much closer than actually being there lol

Posted

Gfs 18z precipitation type does look quite promising tomomrow evening for us but it tends to go to far east overnight leaving us in the green for a time esp over somerset west? I havent seen the latest NAE yet which is a handy tool

Posted

Agreed. Having Ian and the METO on board for potential heavy snow for SE wales , bristol / sw etc. is quite promising.

I can see you getting a good pasting, lets hope you can pass it down here