Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It is grey and cloudy here at the moment and the temperature is 2.0C.

I am assumimg that the upper air temperatures are lower then that at the moment if there is any risk of snow. It looks as though any proper snow around here today and tonight looks unlikely as the temperature is too high.

The main thrust of the PPN isn't expected to get into our region until after dark, therefore the temp will obviously start dropping away, and hopefully the dewpoint will too!

These kind of setups are always hard to predict though! Just half a degree can make all the difference!

Posted

The main thrust of the PPN isn't expected to get into our region until after dark, therefore the temp will obviously start dropping away, and hopefully the dewpoint will too!

These kind of setups are always hard to predict though! Just half a degree can make all the difference!

GFS shoes precipitation for 1500, weather it comes off is another thing. Dew point has to be 0c doesnt it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Hopefully then that will mean that our chances of snow will be higher tonight because of it being colder.

I guess it is really just a case of wait and see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

GFS shoes precipitation for 1500, weather it comes off is another thing. Dew point has to be 0c doesnt it?

Yes dew point has to be 0c for any chance of settling, above 0c then its wet snow ,sleet or rain.

Posted

There might be bits and pieces before, but the main thrust won't be here until after dark! The NAE is a higher res model, so that will be the best one to look at for snow potential etc!

Posted

Yes dew point has to be 0c for any chance of settling, above 0c then its wet snow ,sleet or rain.

Bring the snow on temp 0.7c Dew 0c :)

Posted

Temp 1.5c and Dewpoint 0.8! I hope this falls away soon or I won't be seeing any White stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

If strictly following the latest GFS 06z output so far and looking at the slight weakening of Air Pressure down that way. I would say the SW looks to be in prone spot for many hours of wintry precipitation. If I were to predict places that SHOULD get a pasting, I'd go for parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor more especially and certainly parts of Somerset and Devon. The best advice I can give you all is to keep tabs on your AT and DPs, watch the NW precipitations radar and be patient. :p

This has the POTENTIAL to be really good for some lucky folk. If any of you have relatives in Wales, I would also forewarn them as some welsh folk are going to get pasted initially before the southwests main event later today. :good:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Temp 1.5c and Dewpoint 0.8! I hope this falls away soon or I won't be seeing any White stuff!

Calm yourself the colder air and lower dewpoints will move into region towards mid afternoon. :good:

Posted

Calm yourself the colder air and lower dewpoints will move into region towards mid afternoon. :good:

They had better do or I am coming for you! Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

from twitter

Ian Fergusson

New UKMO assessment suggests very variable snow totals into tonight; 3-6cm higher ground of W Country; 0-2cm low levels but mostly on grass

That spells a MARGINAL event to me but I think this COULD still be upgraded. :acute: However, I don't work for the MetO and don't have his equipment. Oeeerrr missus! :rofl:

You also need to hope that the surface are dry so the heavier precipitation will then hopefully stick. There's a long way to go with this baby, I can assure you. As for my locatio, snow chance so far. :cray:

Game On, all IMHO.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Oooh I must warn my daughter in Cardiff :) I'm sure she'll be texting me too :) Hoping any snow that hits the FOD makes it's way down here. :drunk:

Posted

They had better do or I am coming for you! Lol!

Just bring Laura Tobin with you :D

My temperature is also climbing slightly along with dew point but its early days yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

UKww Weather Watch for Snow :smiliz64:

Issued Sun 29th Jan 1030GMT

Areas affected - Wales, South Midlands, SW England

Valid from: 1200GMT Sunday 29th January 2012 to 1200GMT Monday 30th January 2012

General evolution: Fronts from a low pressure moving from SW Ireland to SW England will mix with colder air over the central UK giving some snow in places as it does so.

Forecast: 2-5cm of snow expected over Wales, with perhaps more for higher ground. Over high ground above about 250m snow is also expected over Exmoor and Dartmoor and other high ground like Salisbury Plain. Gradually the extent of the snow will move SE, possibly bringing snow to the South Midlands and parts of inland central southern UK including Dorset & Hants , however there is some uncertainty on the eastward extent of the precipitation.

Please listen to local radio/television broadcasts for up to date information on travel conditions.

UKww will monitor this warning and update when necessary.

Issued by PLJK for UKww, 1030GMT 29/01/2012

The user assumes the entire risk related to its use of this data. UKww (UK Weatherworld) is providing this data "as is" and UKww disclaims any and all warranties, whether express or implied, including (without limitation) any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will UKww be liable to you or to any third party for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or exemplary damages or lost profit resulting from any use or misuse of this data.

The UKww Warnings Team use Net Weather Extra (http://www.netweather.tv/nwap/id/MgAzCw==) when compiling forecast.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=89208

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Well technicaly im in southwest england and the local news is points west, so im hoping by that it means im gonna have some snow tonight , but reall not sure the ppn will reach this far east , as chelt is 10miles away , although it does look considerably further east already than where it should be? Any others from chelt feel we'l get something?!!

Posted

You can view latest bbc forecast online now and laura does say even a few cm of snow likely around the bristol area to lower levels.... :air_kiss:

stunning forecast....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Morning all,

fingers crossed for tonight/tomorrow am, splashed out on NW radar last night just in case. the day will now be viewed in 5 min segments!

1.1 c

DP: 0.8

Edited by Aceman

Posted

You can view latest bbc forecast online now and laura does say even a few cm of snow likely around the bristol area to lower levels.... :air_kiss:

stunning forecast....

I will watch that in 5mins on news24 then!

I will feel better once my Dewpoint climbs down! Very exciting stuff!

Posted

I will watch that in 5mins on news24 then!

I will feel better once my Dewpoint climbs down! Very exciting stuff!

Mines just rose to 1c :(

Posted

Mines just rose to 1c :(

Mines 1.8! But Mullender as kindly guarenteed that it will drop later in time for the PPN! Lol!

Posted

1c here with a dewpoint of -1c

As a non believer regarding this snow event for us in W Somerset I have to say that the sky does indeed look very snowy already. It is infact thick with it. I am still erring on the side of caution though, I will believe it when I actually see it.

Posted

Mines 1.8! But Mullender as kindly guarenteed that it will drop later in time for the PPN! Lol!

:p

Its gonna be fine! Mine is currently 1.5c also even up here so I wouldnt worry just yet.