Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Headline:

Rain and hill snow spreading east through the day.

Today:

Starting bright but frosty, with areas of freezing fog. Already cloudy skies across western Cornwall with rain, edging slowly eastwards through the day, giving snow over the moors in the afternoon, and perhaps to lower levels later in the east. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Tonight:

Rain and hill snow continuing through much of the night across the region. Snow possible to lower levels at times in any heavier spells, mainly across eastern counties. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Monday:

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and hill snow continuing through much of the day. Drier, brighter but colder conditions pushing into eastern counties as the afternoon progresses. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Updated: 0306 on Sun 29 Jan 2012

Forecast for Exmoor National Park for Sunday

Starting frosty. Soon becoming cloudy, with spells of rain turning increasingly to snow by the afternoon. Light winds.

Updated: 0305 on Sun 29 Jan 2012

Forecast for Dartmoor National Park for Sunday

A cold and frosty start. Spells of rain spreading eastwards may eventually turn to snow by the afternoon. Light winds.

Updated: 0305 on Sun 29 Jan 2012

Gives us some hope in somerset esp. it seems the further east you are in the south west the better. radar watching, seems though by monday it may turn sleety as the gfs 18z were showing time will tell!!! NAE updates anyone?

Edited by David-kig

Posted

still alot of uncertainty about how cold the under cut from the east will be for us, how heavy the precip will be and how long it will go on for. some models are saying that precip could hang around in the sw until tuesday poss wed morning.

Posted

Great to wake up to another morning frost, three in a row :0). Not so great, is the fact that snow has been replaced by rain for my location on South Dartmoor between now and Tuesday, any chance this could change again? Looking great for those a bit further NE. If you get too much snow, aim the snowballs in my direction please.....!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Morning all. Weather channel are predicting snow for Christchurch/Bournemouth from 4am. I believe it when I see it!!

I just can't see it coming this far east. Well tonight could be fun watching at the window lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Anybody more experienced in model Reading care to update us on where and when and what we are looking at getting from the sky the next couple of days?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Lots of talk in the model thread about the huge low shown by the ecm +216 which would bring snow to 95% of the UK with rain for the other 5%, bet you know where the other 5% is! Lol that's all in fi though and if the position of that low was a tiny bit more south west on the charts on the day then the south west could be looking at a repeat of Feb 79.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I see the ppn is already into wales and the far south west although damn its going to be a long day waiting for it to creep towards us!

post-8911-0-85652100-1327825672_thumb.pn

Posted

I see the ppn is already into wales and the far south west although damn its going to be a long day waiting for it to creep towards us!

interesting that, turns to sleet and snow as it hits land already!

Hope you got your supplies in up there!

Posted

interesting that, turns to sleet and snow as it hits land already!

Hope you got your supplies in up there!

Haha I just looked at Ian F's last message last night on twitter and he said...

Latest UKMO analysis tends to heighten snow likelihood for W Country later Sun into Mon, incl at lower levels, eg Taunton, Bristol etc....

I am feeling very hungover and whats worse is I have left my coat in a bar with my car keys in it! :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

That is sleet is just ONE pixel away from me....Typical

Good luck south west fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Haha I just looked at Ian F's last message last night on twitter and he said...

Latest UKMO analysis tends to heighten snow likelihood for W Country later Sun into Mon, incl at lower levels, eg Taunton, Bristol etc....

I am feeling very hungover and whats worse is I have left my coat in a bar with my car keys in it! :cray:

Ha ha! Not in Wells again were you?! My husband crawled in drunk as a skunk last night too

Posted

On the nw radar, the green stands for rain/ snow, I'm taking this means sleet then?! Being thick!

Posted

Ha ha! Not in Wells again were you?! My husband crawled in drunk as a skunk last night too

No I went to midsomer norton this time! damn those yager bombs :bad:

It was quite nice to get drunk and forget about snow for a few hours although my brain still managed to wake me up at 7am with the snow fairys. ;)

Ill have to pop down there around mid day to get my stuff before the 'event'

Green on radar means it could be anything! oh and I think there must be alot of noise on the radar ahead of the front for some reason.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

No I went to midsomer norton this time! damn those yager bombs :bad:

It was quite nice to get drunk and forget about snow for a few hours although my brain still managed to wake me up at 7am with the snow fairys. ;)

Ill have to pop down there around mid day to get my stuff before the 'event'

Green on radar means it could be anything! oh and I think there must be alot of noise on the radar ahead of the front for some reason.

Thanks, there seems to be, if I do postcode zoom, all there is is green blobs around me...

Posted

If its right, then the radar is turning things more red as I look at it.....looking good

Posted

i may be wrong here , but going by netweather radar theres bits of snowing showing up just up from bristol , i take this as a good thing for southwest ect .

No snow here in Bristol yet!

Reports of rain in Wales though, maybe the cold air hasn't got that far west yet!

Going to be on a knifeedge here!

Posted

Reports of rain in Wales though, maybe the cold air hasn't got that far west yet!

Thats if the main ppn even makes it here....

Today is going to wreck my nerves! :help: Current temperature is 0.9c with thick fog outside.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Thats if the main ppn even makes it here....

Today is going to wreck my nerves! :help: Current temperature is 0.9c with thick fog outside.

All models suggest the PPN makes it as far as me and you so I that respect I am quietly confident! If we can stay on the leading Eastern Edge of it then that will also help our snow chances!

I don't see heavy or large amounts of snow though, and it is quite possible it will become light and patchy in nature when and indeed if it gets here!

Eagerly awaiting a tweet from Ian Fergusson with a update!

Posted

yes knifeedge time , fingers crossed :acute: i read the sweet spot is going to maybe be southeast wales were not far but with snow we never know .

Posted

Latest NAE suggests snow over the moors tonight with rain further north and east, with the rain turning to snow over Somerset, West Wiltshire and into Bristol as we go into the rush hour tomorrow morning before fragmenting and becoming light and drizzly!

Sorry, on phone so can't post links!

Posted

Latest BBC news24 forecast says 2cm plus for Somerset, even at low levels. Not sure what data they are using, if it's the latest?

Posted

yes knifeedge time , fingers crossed :acute: i read the sweet spot is going to maybe be southeast wales were not far but with snow we never know .

Don't worry I'm sure with bristols stategic snow defence system it wont get accross the river... :rofl:

post-8911-0-41495200-1327831059_thumb.jp

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Latest BBC news24 forecast says 2cm plus for Somerset, even at low levels. Not sure what data they are using, if it's the latest?

The 06z NAE says similar, it has improved chances of snow to Somerset!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It is grey and cloudy here at the moment and the temperature is 2.0C.

I am assumimg that the upper air temperatures are lower then that at the moment if there is any risk of snow. It looks as though any proper snow around here today and tonight looks unlikely as the temperature is too high.