Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread - Part 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Severe alert has been issued to Croydon Council to expect disruptive snowfall throughout Sunday into Monday :help:

I see MetO have also updated their website alert :D

Croydon Council have now said their piece....you all know that you'll get plastered, you're all doooooooomed! :lol:

Did you just tamper with those Charts Aj :aggressive::rofl:

damned right I did, can't have you sarf-east folks hogging all the fun! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

So how much snow are we lloking at, enough for me not to able to make it into work?

Depends, some people use 1cm as an excuse not to come in!

Posted

Also If you are in the Green then this is a VERY GOOD Thing as usually the areas in the Warnings from the Met miss out :rofl: :rofl: :good::p

Classic Paul.... blooming classic! :D

Posted

boar your not considering the nature of the column of air from cloud base to ground.

whilst the cloud deck might not be that cold at say minus 2 minus 3 you have what I would call a super DALR, which means that column of air has NO melt layer from cloud base to surface.

Meaning 95% chance of snow.

This is because the surface flow is from the continent, if the front arrives at a less accute angle with more a westerly or even south westerly flow the column for air has a thicker warm layer moving over the surface cold, and whilst the surface may still be at or below freezing the DALR has suddenly become a saturated lapse rate SALR, so irrespective of surface temp the snow crystals fall through a wet layer of the atmosphere just below the cloud deck and melt and turn to rain.

As the rain pellet reaches the lowest levels of the atmosphere then its hitting the cold surface air that hasnt been mixed out and if thats below zero the particle of rain will become supercooled and can fall as freezing rain.

So if people have ever sat there wondering why it snows at 3c but can rain at 0c ( typically warm fronts moving into cold air) its because the damage is done to the snowflake in whats called the melt layer...

Best regards

steve

Hmm, I did consider the lapse rate.

I would consider a super dry adiabatic lapse rate as one when a parcel decreases 10degC for each 1km going up,

post-5986-0-77106800-1328187532_thumb.gi

Here, the parcel needs to get to 2.5km up to lose that 10degC. Also note that the parcel trajectory crosses the dry adiabat at about 830hPa!! - which is obvious from the theta-e 700hPa chart,

post-5986-0-52323400-1328187979_thumb.gi

I would add that 'theta-e based snow forecasting is almost always too pessimistic' Prepare to have nothing then it's always a nice surprise to be wrong!! :)

Defo fence sitting for me; of course, the next GFS run can move stuff marginally around and change the whole perspective, and, of course, this is completely disregarding other models output.

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

liking the sunday warning picgture for se on met office - you cant see no land - just yellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Croydon Council have now said their piece....you all know that you'll get plastered, you're all doooooooomed! :lol:

damned right I did, can't have you sarf-east folks hogging all the fun! :lol:

Yep, Yamkin has put the kabosh on it now!

Prepare for rain! :help::p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

So from what I have been reading, the snow potential is from Saturday evening until Sunday afternoon, with that front coming in from the west. But there will be no front's moving in from the East bring the risk of any streamers?

Is that pretty much what to expect?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Has three weeks on model output roller coasting culminated in one or two days of light snow or might there be more to follow next week?

Posted

Gone Yellow Now :sorry: :sorry:

:rofl:

I know now you done it.... keep your mouth shut next time.... how we going to get any bad weather if they put us in the warning zone... :rofl::fool:

Guest archiesmummy

It is not about being clever, it is just common sense surely?

Only if you understand the subject matter, I have common sense thank you...now let's move on.

Anyway, let's move on!

Oh dear, he is back! :p

Hope you have been gritting the roads Yamkin? I might be in Croydon on the Sunday!

Posted

BBC1 news is about to reveal something about the snow.

It's White Unless a Dog is standing near it ??

Sorry just joshing with ya :rofl:

Posted

Let's have a bit of fun..........What do you think the Daily Express will highlight on their front page tomorrow?

I'll start it off with..............BLIZZARDS TO HIT SOUTH EAST ON SUNDAY :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Let's have a bit of fun..........What do you think the Daily Express will highlight on their front page tomorrow?

I'll start it off with..............BLIZZARDS TO HIT SOUTH EAST ON SUNDAY :help:

Do you write the Daily Express headlines by any chance? :p

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Are they in league with Croydon Council?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

In easternmost parts of east Anglia, and in Kent problems may be compounded by fresh snowfall on Thursday night.

yay

Posted

Yamkin and snowplough missing for 24hours in unpredicted 6 ft snow storm. "he wouldnt have seen it coming "said a close friend

Posted

Do you write the Daily Express headlines by any chance? :p

They have already started their ramping BRITAIN FACES A WEEK OF SNOW :cold::help:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/299555/Britain-faces-a-week-of-snow

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Really :) how do you see this happening?

Met office warning ^

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Met Office will upgrade warnings when they get there usual notifications from the public when snow is falling, and too what extent it's falling at.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Met Office will upgrade warnings when they get there usual notifications from the public when snow is falling, and too what extent it's falling at.

LOL