Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Dew Point Freezing or below

Temp anything from 3c or below, preferably 2c and lower

Thank you x

Posted

Yes, Sleet showing for Brighton and the sun is shining bright at the moment - very very small flakes of snow in the last 1/2 hour. What happens if its sleet /snow/sleet - will it all met or freeze and be a nightmare? :sorry: Now thinking either rain OR snow might be better for us :-(

Posted

front seems to be doing about 20 miles per hour, therefore I guess it will be about 6hrs ( 7.00 PM ) London , 7 hrs to Medway towns ( 8.00 Pm) , 8hrs to Canterbury ( 9.00pm) 9hrs to Dover, Looks like about 5 - 6 hours worth of precipm a gap of around 4 - 5 hours then another 2 - 3 hours presuming it doesn't run out of steam or preferably snow. Guess Brighton should see the fun start to kick off around same time as London..

Edited by crazysnowcatz4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
Posted · Hidden by Paul Sherman, February 4, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Paul Sherman, February 4, 2012 - No reason given

Seems to be stalling over NE england and yorks cant see the south east getting mouch to be honest :rofl:

Posted

Looks like about 5 - 6 hours worth of precipm a gap of around 4 - 5 hours then another 2 - 3 hours presuming it doesn't run out of steam or preferably snow. Guess Brighton should see the fun start to kick off around same time as London..

I think that the two bands you see at the moment are the warm front and the cold front. As the warm front drags its heels, the cold front will catch up and it will occlude, hence why we are more likely to see mostly snow then possibly sleet/rain in the south. Where the triple point lies, the point at which the cold front and warm front are meeting is where you may see most snow. The last fax charts I saw forecast this to happen somewhere around the south, probably near to Brighton!

I'm already glued to the NW extra radar!

Guest QuantumSnow

Yes, Sleet showing for Brighton and the sun is shining bright at the moment - very very small flakes of snow in the last 1/2 hour. What happens if its sleet /snow/sleet - will it all met or freeze and be a nightmare? :sorry: Now thinking either rain OR snow might be better for us :-(

My father is working in Brighton today outside at a farmers market, reported a few flakes.

Remember that by the time the main band/s are over your area it will have cooled off due to the fact it will be getting dark :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

front seems to be doing about 20 miles per hour, therefore I guess it will be about 6hrs ( 7.00 PM ) London , 7 hrs to Medway towns ( 8.00 Pm) , 8hrs to Canterbury ( 9.00pm) 9hrs to Dover, Looks like about 5 - 6 hours worth of precipm a gap of around 4 - 5 hours then another 2 - 3 hours presuming it doesn't run out of steam or preferably snow. Guess Brighton should see the fun start to kick off around same time as London..

I hope so! It's always marginal here on the South Coast but we got an amazing amont of snow last year! Fingers crossed

Posted

People really are under estimating the strength of Cold over in France at the moment. Just take a look at the Temperature and Dewpoint readings as the South Easterly has picked up across Essex and Kent at the moment.

Manston has -3c Temp and -6c Dewpoint from the continental flow

Southend has dropped down to -1c Temp and -3 Dewpoint again with a South Easterly blowing.

So Planet Thanet your readings are correct I would say

sorry for late reply.....many thanks (could have checked that myself..not thinking cold got to my brain :fool: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Latest BBC Forecast had snow even right to the coasts for our region, I don't think anyone needs to worry.

Posted

METO now saying rain at 9pm followed by sleet for Brighton, its going to be a bit messy if the rain turns to snow and back to snow - but looking good for those north and east of us for all snow

Latest BBC Forecast had snow even right to the coasts for our region, I don't think anyone needs to worry.

Thanks - I cant get the BBC weather to play on my broadband slow connection! just watching METO symbols and the radar!

Posted

NAE goes for 27mm, GFS goes for 21mm, and MetO goes for 10mm, of which the average is 19mm of precipitation - possibly, because of the low boundary temperatures (because of frozen ground) we could possible push for a liquid to snow ratio of 11:1; which equals 19*11 ~ 21cm. Much higher with orographic effects associated with the North and South Downs.

I am certainly expecting one foot of the stuff at the normal favoured locations.

my thoughts exactly..... :good:

Posted

Seems to be stalling over NE england and yorks cant see the south east getting mouch to be honest :rofl:

Arent you in the wrong forum?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Crystal clear blue sky in Surrey this morning, nice amounts of cloud building now! Ahhh it feels like December 2010 all over again :D

Guest QuantumSnow

Finally cloudy here with the first snizzley flakes falling (sorry Coast :p )

Temp peaked at 1.5C but is now trending down.

Current temp 1.0C

Dew point -1.2C

Here's a forecast for your regional area for today and tonight,

Western parts should start to see snow showers move in around 9pm and by 12am tonight heavy snow is likely with snow showers around the coasts. At 3am in the far Western parts the snow looks like it will turn to rain but elsewhere over London and the South East parts will be under heavy snowfall. By 6am on Sunday drying up for most with the Eastern coasts still seeing heavy snow which will eventually turn to snow showers there by 9am then drying up by the afternoon.

Your region is looking very good for snowfall today and tomorrow morning hope this summary helps and will try to provide with a more up to date one this evening if you want.

Posted

Glad to report I am finally understanding the element that might make things marginal along the coast - there are warmer winds coming from the channel, if it stays like this when the main front passes then it will be more marginal here (thinking isle of wight to beachy head) - being realistic saves my sanity!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

<_<

Haters gonna hate. :winky: