Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 11

kold weather

Posted

I just googled the freezing rain event of January 1940 in the UK and saw that Coast posted about it on this site a few years back! :lol:

Blimey did I????? Must be loosing the old memory!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Met Office warning now out: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

As it stands, we are too far SE, with the warnings for places to our NW. Watch this space though, because I don't think the location of the snow is settled just yet.

Posted

Met Office warning now out: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

As it stands, we are too far SE, with the warnings for places to our NW. Watch this space though, because I don't think the location of the snow is

settled just yet.

Isnt that just ice warnings though for Thursday?

Posted

No it's snow as well. Check the snow symbols.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

There's more stuff.

Posted

Hmmm I suspect the Metr office may have to shift that warning a little too the SE if the GFS/NAE are close to the markl. The NMM which was nearly perfect for Saturdays event also takes the sanow a little further SE then the warning zone as well...

Not sure amounts though would warrant a warning, but I'd imagine there will be snow here as well bar maybe the far SE.

Posted

Hmmm I suspect the Metr office may have to shift that warning a little too the SE if the GFS/NAE are close to the markl. The NMM which was nearly perfect for Saturdays event also takes the sanow a little further SE then the warning zone as well...

Not sure amounts though would warrant a warning, but I'd imagine there will be snow here as well bar maybe the far SE.

Agree, the NAE clearly shows parts of the SE getting snow, albeit not a huge amount.

Posted

Looks like we may miss out on this one. Only fair to spread it around though, so I'm not fussed. Good luck to those in the Mids etc who look like getting a good 10cm from this one.

Posted

snow on the METO symbols in the SE, Thurs eve and Friday am - not enough for a warning? as said a few cms maybe? Brighton heading for sleet again lol :-)

I suspect thats more likely what will happen to be honest. Still there is enough uncertainmty with the evolution to require a close watch in the SE...especially further west and north where the margins are quite tight looking at the models between light and heavy stuff...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

meto showing light snow for this afternoon and snow through the night tomorrow night into Friday.

Posted

Yes being 10 or so miles west of London i'm right on the edge, last weekend wasn't great here 2-5 cm max compared to those in essex and kent, 90% of the snow was gone by Monday, would be great to have a better shot at some decent snow this time.

Posted

bbc seem to think going by there latest 12.58 forecast that it will just clip areas northwest of london say windsor , alesbury\, slough, down to thorpe pk area

and will be rain south of london and the m4 corridor

Posted

bbc seem to think going by there latest 12.58 forecast that it will just clip areas northwest of london say windsor , alesbury\, slough, down to thorpe pk area

If they're showing a snow potential into the NW fringes of London, then I wouldn't rule out all of London getting some snow as all it would take is a 20-30 mile eastward shift.

Posted

Just seen the 1.30 forecast. Light snow fringing into London, heaviest falls (according to the graphics) between Oxford and the W Midlands. Nick Miller did say though "uncertainty as to how much snow London will get, so we will keep you posted on that".

Unfortunately looks like Kent and E Essex will struggle to see anything, unless the whole system shifts 60 miles SE. Hopefully it will!

Edited by danm

Posted

well the cold is coming from the continent so i doubt south would be rain, much more likely to be snow as the cold air is coming back in especially to that area mentioned

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

The 13:30 BBC forecast shows a fair whack of ppn on Thursday night/Friday morning, with the band of heaviest snow expected through Central parts, but the GFS shows it slightly further East, a case of nowcasting rather than forecasting with this one!

Posted

Don't know what area of London you're in, but many areas of London got over 10cm's. A lot has melted, but we still have a fair amount lying, particularly on the grass.

It's not often that London has snow lying for 4 days, as it has so far...

Well, Im in the fulham area and 5 cm was what we got

Posted

well the cold is coming from the continent so i doubt south would be rain, much more likely to be snow as the cold air is coming back in especially to that area mentioned

thats what i think too

still have about 2cm covering the grass but paths and rds have now melted

Posted

Tis coldies in Barking..... Had a minor snow flurry half hour ago....I think three flakes

I think you must have stolen the three flakes that have lurking round here all morning, because they've gone now!

CD