Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 11

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters

may have to rethink thursday night's drive from kingston to glasgow......

what are peoples thoughs on accumulations from this band along my route of m40, m6 etc...?

will i be ok on friday pm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Peter Cockroft (BBC London news) said (approx) "from tomorrow evening snow moving in from the NW, with the heaviest snow expected to be just West of London, that's not to say we won't see snow in Central London... but fizzling out the further East you go, with Kent and Essex maybe missing out...But things are likely to change"

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

Defo a upgrade on the 1.58 forecast with mr miller the snow band he showed developed further eastwards and had half of london in the snow threat and said not sure how much snow london would get

Posted

Met Office warning now out: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

As it stands, we are too far SE, with the warnings for places to our NW. Watch this space though, because I don't think the location of the snow is settled just yet.

Looks like this area is the edge which I'd imagine would be more rain/sleet if at all. Heard so much talk of it being further North and West.

Posted

It is looking better by the minute as far as the possibilty of some decent snow , just hoping that the 12z will agree!

Posted

Peter Cockroft (BBC London news) said (approx) "from tomorrow evening snow moving in from the NW, with the heaviest snow expected to be just West of London, that's not to say we won't see snow in Central London... but fizzling out the further East you go, with Kent and Essex maybe missing out...But things are likely to change"

Peter Cockroft got last week's forecast wrong, so that's means the we will all get snow. By the way, memo from the MetO to the Croydon Council still shows snow for Friday.

Posted

I just want enough to block the car in the drive on Friday morning. I understand a lot of the kids are off on half-term next week too, so they will be delighted if any schools get closed.

Think I'll take the work lap-top home just in case eh?????

Posted

bbc seem to think going by there latest 12.58 forecast that it will just clip areas northwest of london say windsor , alesbury\, slough, down to thorpe pk area

and will be rain south of london and the m4 corridor

What a cool dirty horrible stuff, yuk. Can't wait now for the slushy falls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Looks like this area is the edge which I'd imagine would be more rain/sleet if at all. Heard so much talk of it being further North and West.

No chance of rain/sleet. If you see anything in Slough it will be snow.

Posted

may have to rethink thursday night's drive from kingston to glasgow......

what are peoples thoughs on accumulations from this band along my route of m40, m6 etc...?

will i be ok on friday pm?

The met office already have advisories out for the whole of your journey on Thursday: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

But if there is a heavier dump on Thurday night, then Friday may be written-off as well... I would expect all the major roads to be gritted, but do take care if you do decide to try and travel. Make sure you have all the necessaries!!!

Posted

Oh yeah, 100% snow for our region, not even a hint of marginality here, its jist whether the precip gets far enough west.

Believe it or not, this time the snow can stay further NW. I've goit a trip to Paris on Saturday, really can't afford for snow to scupper that plan...

Remember here is the general thread if you want an overall view of the set-up:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72499-significant-snow-risk-9-10th-february/

Posted

I dont think any will be rain (maybe coast like me) if the snow band moves East enough to you, it will be snow

Very strange a few days ago....I work in Hailsham so drive down the A27.Brighton itself had no snow but across the other side of the A27 there was enough snow to sledge on....very weird looking on one side of the road to the other as i was driving along....

Posted

I dont think any will be rain (maybe coast like me) if the snow band moves East enough to you, it will be snow

Unfortunately I cant see the same for us! This event is definitely a nowcasting event ppn bands hardly ever go where they are predicted too in my experience.

Posted

Unless the rain band gets there first! hehe

I'm pretty sure inland in West Sussex will be snow though, definitely more marginal by the coast unfortunately. :sorry:

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

I assume "NORTH" "WEST" Sussex is within the RAIN band?.......

I think you will need to watch that old radar to pin down anything as specific as that. Not sure that the forecasts are going to be able to take into account topography and subtle nuances in the atmosphere etc. Remember this last weekend was odd as East of the South Downs (me) got a good covering and West got none in places.

Time to grab one of these again:

1260156585hlwaNci.jpg

Posted

Daniel, I broadly agree though I'd only give a dusting to the placdes east and SE of London unless there is a sizeable shift in the set-up. You should post that chart here by the way!

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72499-significant-snowfreezing-rain-risk-9-10th-february/page__pid__2260157__st__40#entry2260157