Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted

Starting to really look foward to winter no matter what it brings should be a intresting one, but what im looking forward to the most is those frosty mornings. It was a chilly one last night with the temp getting down to 2.5°c so we arn't far off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. having to clear your pavement in front of your driveway, the different laws on this are probably a consequence of the relative frequency of snow. Over much of Germany, winter snow sometimes sticks around for prolonged period and accumulates to large depths during cold winters, so people will struggle to get around on foot unless the paths are cleared, particularly after the snow is repeatedly trampled on and compacted to such an extent that you're left with solid ice. (Yes, I've had conversations on this topic with a couple of people who have lived in Germany for significant periods).

In the UK, away from high ground, we aren't used to seeing prolonged spells of snow cover so I imagine that the prevailing view will be that it isn't worth making an effort to clear snow away when it will probably be gone by the next day. As is often the case, it boils down to the issue that we don't prepare very well for prolonged snow cover due to its rarity. I agree, though, that having laws against clearing the path in front of your house is pretty stupid.

The winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11, and to a lesser extent 2008/09, probably caught out a fair number of experienced drivers as well as inexperienced ones, particularly in the milder parts of the UK, for we had a long run of mild winters from 1988-2008 during which some drivers wouldn't have experienced major snow-related problems. Those drivers should hopefully have accumulated more experience of driving in snow by now but new drivers are always going to be vulnerable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes i agree wrt drivers etc,as others have said though, you can be sued if someone slips on your pile of snowcrazy.gif , its got to the point now where schools close because of 1 inch of snow,just incase a child slips on the schools snow? or outside the school gates?smiliz58.gif

With regard to these absurd laws then what would happen IF we were to get a 1946/47 or 1962/63 style winter. acute.gif The government would quite rightly have to change its policies. One side of me wishes for the poo to hit the pan and then to sit back and watch the consequences unfold. However, the human and economic pain and suffering caused by this scenario might make me very unpopular. In addition, the hurt inflicted on the already pressurised wildlife and its ecosystems, would inevitably have a long-term impact. help.gif

Having said that, it is possible to view the above as hopecasting or doom mongering, and whilst not to everyone's liking, I do feel another climatic switch (which way?) is due soon rather than later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here is the Govt advice on clearing pavements outside your home. To be sused you would have to something maliciously or carlessly such as piling the snow from your patch onto your neighbours.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_191868&sa=U&ei=oM5ZUJaZO-fP0QX3p4HIBw&ved=0CBQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEcABoi3c3v4UwGsecDU2wna4DcFQ

Being sued is more likely if for example you did not clear your private path and someone like the postie slipped and fell. You could be negligent for that.

Meanwhile I am hoping for a long snowy winter despite the associated hardships.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

With regard to these absurd laws then what would happen IF we were to get a 1946/47 or 1962/63 style winte One side of me wishes for the poo to hit the pan and then to sit back and watch the consequences unfold. However, the human and economic pain and suffering caused by this scenario might make me very unpopular.

I too have that mischievous side!! Some parts of the country grind to a halt with 1cm of snow let alone a 62/63 scenario lol.

It would be interesting what schools etc would do as my daughters school closes at the drop of a hat at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

When I went to school, the school was closed when a heavy snow shower moved through, the kids were going home and the sun was coming back out, egg on the faces of teachers I suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I think schools around here will send their children home when it snows sometimes, just in case the snow lasts all day preventing parents from picking their children up. It isn't always the case and usually the kids just walk to school in the snow. I recall taking a nephew to school a few years back during heavy snowfall and the school didn't close that day. We're actually pretty prepared for it, especially compared to other areas of the country. Sadly though idiot drivers are still idiots so that will always be an issue!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I too have that mischievous side!! Some parts of the country grind to a halt with 1cm of snow let alone a 62/63 scenario lol.

It would be interesting what schools etc would do as my daughters school closes at the drop of a hat at the moment!

Schools would reopen pretty quickly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I thought it was poo to hit the fan?

blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

As pointed out by Jeremy Clarkson, all you need is an Andy McNab or any other ex-SAS dude and your prepared for anything that winter throws your way.

w00t.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Any farmers on here? If so remember this

As pointed out by Jeremy Clarkson, all you need is an Andy McNab or any other ex-SAS dude and your prepared for anything that winter throws your way.

w00t.gif

And for those who can't remember or didn't see that clip

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hi,

It seems the UK has turned increasingly into a nanny state regarding schools closing early or not opening during snowy periods. Here is Austria the teachers have to drive the local kids in bus up the mountain roads from the school in the lower valley so they can go ski-ing. The children love it and so do the teachers! As far as they are concerned the more the merrier ! Back in Blighty,school should be compulsary during snow, back in the 1960s we loved to make massive skating rinks in the playground and lob snowballs to kingdom come!

Posted

My grandmother told me stories of how she had to walk 5 miles to school during thick fog and very deep snow.. multiple times she ended up lost and one of her sisters ended up down a hole.. so perhaps it's better that we don't let our children do that.

Comparisons to countries such as Austria will always be pointless. All central European countries are significantly snowier than the UK.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

the best car for this in recent years was the Fiat Punto 4x4. It could literally go places Land Rover fantantics can only dream about. As ther say in Italy, "Snow problem"

i doubt that really, the advantage land rovers have is better ground clearance, low range gearbox and importantly, a diff lock.

the problem lies (with 4x4s) where people think they are indestructible. they have no idea how to drive them properly. many 4x4 drivers fail to realise that when it comes to stopping, it makes no difference how many wheels have drive, everyones car has 4 wheel braking and just as likely to end up in a ditch as anyone else.

tyres are also an important factor. skinny tyres are good in wet weather as they cut through the water, whereas wide tyres aquaplane more easily.

in snow, wider (perhaps i should say bigger) tyres are better, with lower pressure in them, as it creates a bigger 'footprint' (like snow shoes) many new 4x4s like the range rover sport or bmw X5 have huge alloys with rubber bands for tyres. great for flat, dry roads - useless in the snow! (and off-road) winter tyres are a good investment for any car though.

the best thing to do, is know the capabilities of your car and yourself. if you don't think its safe, don't drive!!

Posted

I think we are due a Scandinavian high type winter. If we can get Greenland high type winters as was seen for 2009-10 and 2010-11, then there is no reason for a Scandinavian high type winter not to occur.

January 1996

Or late December 1996-January 1997

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I think we are due a Scandinavian high type winter. If we can get Greenland high type winters as was seen for 2009-10 and 2010-11, then there is no reason for a Scandinavian high type winter not to occur.

January 1996

Or late December 1996-January 1997

Both weren't particularly special for SW England so I think on an IMBY view, a greeny high & channel low will do me.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

http://twitter.com/B...7302784/photo/1

but of course there's a few years in the analogue list that were pretty pants too.

Yeah like last year!

Beautiful blocking tho :)

Posted

January 1987 was cold for a time but up here it was not snowy.. if I recall correctly hardly any if any snow fell. Leeds Bradford did record a maximum temperature of -8C though.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I might look at those years later & filter out the cold & warm stratosphere years-

its a pity the strat data doesnt go back before 1979

S

Some more limited data here Steve.

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/northpole/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

January 1987 was cold for a time but up here it was not snowy.. if I recall correctly hardly any if any snow fell. Leeds Bradford did record a maximum temperature of -8C though.

Very unlucky then Aaron, 30 miles South South West of you certainly got pasted, There is a pub called the Snake Pass Inn on the A57 Snake Pass Manchester to Sheffield trans pennine road and there is a picture inside of the Jan 1987 snow event, or there was when i went in 2006, there looked to be drifts in excess of 8 feet deep by the side of the road.

Edited by feb1991blizzard