Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted

Talking about winter driving, I highly recommend snow socks for your tires, I've got a pair from 'Autosocks'. They're made of a tough webbing material, a lot easier to fit than chains and apparently have better grip on snow than winter tires. A pair cost me £60 a couple of years ago on my Mercedes, FWD van. Used them a lot during the nov/dec 2010 cold spell, never had any problems. Arrived too late for the previous winter. My brother also has a pair on his RWD BMW estate which is usually useless on snow.

The main roads around here are usually cleared pretty quickly but I have to negotiate a steep, single track road to get up to the house. A couple of minutes to put on at the top of the road, a couple of minutes to take off at the bottom, takes all the sketchiness out of winter driving. Of course driving over tarmac will quickly wear them out, they're best for getting down un-treated back roads and in case you get stuck anywhere. I've had a couple of rips in mine, easily repaired with needle and thread.

Also one tip I always give when driving in snow is to drive like you don't have any brakes, i.e. use your gears to slow down and ease off the pedal way before you get to corners and hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Another 8th December 1990 type chart, this time for early November.

cfs-0-1254.png?12

But todays award for CFS FI chart(s) of the day goes to early February.

cfs-0-3414.png?12

A brief but fairly potent easterly giving a chance for the SEern third of the UK as the high topples

cfs-0-3456.png?12

But instead of a sinker - BANG

The high ridges all the way up into a stonking 1060mb Greeny high.

cfs-0-3570.png?12

Sending a huge slither of -12 to -14 uppers down the spine.

cfs-2-3576.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Lol, the fact that they are modelling a forecast that far out is the very definition of FI. But, what if...... eh? lol.

Lovely charts though. cold.gif

Posted

Lol, the fact that they are modelling a forecast that far out is the very definition of FI. But, what if...... eh? lol.

Lovely charts though. cold.gif

Purely just for for fun of course and they rarely show much consistency, although that North Easterly has been showing on about 3 out of the last 6 runs at some point during November.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Are those really real? I'm not going to get my hopes up (much).

Aye, they're real. Just don't get too excited...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

http://www.meteociel...0&carte=1&run=0

Heres the CFS link-

instead of looking at Winter look at the 2 rounds of corking Northerlies in OCT-

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-882.png?12

S

too early for snow here off that, but what was CFS like last sept? churning out more or less snowfest charts? was a mild winter really for southern UK

Posted

I skipped October on the basis that the only time i have ever seen snow in Oct was 2008 - Mistake!!! The first would be a high ground in Northern Britain affair but the second would be a low ground as far south as the Midlands affair - stonker!! Dont take this as a ramp but there have been a lot of these runs lately showing a cracking second half of Autumn.

Posted

Where do you find these charts, I get a link then I can't find the cfs charts

Meteociel is an excellent site for model viewing but it is not always clear where to find all of the models but the best thing to do is type into google 'Meteociel CFS' or whatever model your after and usually the page that comes up first is the one your looking for.

Posted

It would be mighty cold though, even if there wasn't any snow!

Yes and hopefully kill of any insects early, the winters of the naughties really hacked me off, still having those gnats flying around in late december.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I skipped October on the basis that the only time i have ever seen snow in Oct was 2008 - Mistake!!! The first would be a high ground in Northern Britain affair but the second would be a low ground as far south as the Midlands affair - stonker!! Dont take this as a ramp but there have been a lot of these runs lately showing a cracking second half of Autumn.

A lot of snow here October 28/29th 2008 and I went to High Wycombe (500ft) on the 29th and it was still largely 80% cover by 3pm, I think its lasted 48hrrs ?. I recorded large parts of the train journey, amazing winter wonderland and keeps my interest in October

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/28_30october2008/

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I can not contain myself this looks for to promising. I love cold weather.cold.gifdrunk.gif

I know how you feel but try not to get tooooo carried away lol. I did that last year and was sorely disappointed in the end. My snowboard only got used twice last winter which after the previous two winter was a major heartache.

Posted

I can not contain myself this looks for to promising. I love cold weather.cold.gifdrunk.gif

looks like your fairly new to the whole thing eh? seriously mate if i was you i wouldnt pay any attention to charts just look at patterns for now, farfarfar to long to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well its the 19th of September at 21:44 and we have 102 users viewing this thread and 547 reply's its certainly proving popular

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Well its the 19th of September at 21:44 and we have 102 users viewing this thread and 547 reply's its certainly proving popular

Much more popular than your "Summer 2012" thread, eh Gavin?

And that season was infinite - according to some!

Posted

A lot of snow here October 28/29th 2008 and I went to High Wycombe (500ft) on the 29th and it was still largely 80% cover by 3pm, I think its lasted 48hrrs ?. I recorded large parts of the train journey, amazing winter wonderland and keeps my interest in October

http://www.metoffice..._30october2008/

That was the amazing thing, i got about half an inch to an inch in North Worcestershire and it didnt melt at all, i was stunned it stayed around until the next day, think it shifted pretty quickly then though if i remember.

I Just wish i would have stayed there another few months as i missed out in feb 2009 by about 5 miles, either there or here would have been a pasting so guess where i was, salford - very light sleety snizzle for 18 hours - Gutted.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow

looks like your fairly new to the whole thing eh? seriously mate if i was you i wouldnt pay any attention to charts just look at patterns for now, farfarfar to long to go.

I know be you cant help being exited.

Posted

Just one thing to point out, sometimes the models cannot detect snowfall even half hour out, yet alone 2 months lol

Edited by Cliftop