Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 5... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Any chance you could set up a live webcam so all of us in Blighty can get a fix of the white stuff rofl.gifgood.gifdrinks.gif

i did show a link in one of my previous posts to all the live traffic cams in Calgary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Had close to 15cm of snow overnight and is still coming down....now for all of those who says the UK should take note of places like Canada when it comes to dealing with snow...i left my house at 5.15am for work, not one single road had been cleared not even the main highways nor did i see a single snow plow on my drive to work...and this storm had been forecast for the last 4 or 5 days!

Isn't that simply because the vast majority have a set of winter tyres in the garage and have now put them on their cars?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

For a bit of fun, an Article from today's Irish Telegraph.

Donegal postman Michael Gallagher sends snow forecast

4 0 5Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Ireland should prepare for a harsh winter because snow is on its way, an amateur forecaster has warned.

Donegal postman Michael Gallagher has said he is "99 percent sure" there will be heavy falls before Christmas.

Mr Gallagher, who makes his predictions by studying plants and animals, has written a bestselling book, 'Traditional Weather Signs'.

"I have never seen as many berries on the trees in the mountains and the birds are singing very loudly in recent days," he said.

"I'm 99pc sure we'll have plenty of snow," he added.

Not sure what animal he studies, maybe it's the Groundhog!

Apparently though, he forecasted the last 2 winters in Ireland correctly - who needs science!

This fella may well have a point. The last few seasons have seen all the fruiting shrubs, trees and bushes (IMBY) producing an amazing crop. Almost as if they gearing themselves up for a big event or perhaps harsher Winters. The hedgerows in my local woods (where I run) have never been so full and the wood pigeons were all getting there fill yesterday teatime. No doubt trying to fatten themselves up for the impending 'snowmageddon' - I try to look for signs in nature myself but cannot say that this has given me any real success - Guess I just love nature really! Will definitely be interesting to see how things pan out though...

Really looking forward to some colder weather now and although we may have to wait for the real big events we couldn't really have asked for a better start, considering we're not even near the true Winter months yet cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Ah the old "there's berries on the bush" myth. Yeah, it's rubbish. Plants grow based on a good growing season, they don't grow based on future weather events.

Edited by Daniel AKA WMD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Whilst we are still not exactly sticking on topic, I must still add my tuppence to those predictions from the irish gent.

Nature is reactive, rather than proactive, so things from the past do not dictate all that occurs in the future. However, birds such as Waxwings are known to undertake escape movements and so do many animals such as Wildebeest. Again, more of a reaction than predicting something that is months or weeks down the line. good.gif

Sorry mods, back to talk about winter proper from here on in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Ah the old "there's berries on the bush" myth. Yeah, it's rubbish. Plants grow based on a good growing season, they don't grow based on future weather events.

Do we reeeealllly know that for sure? Ask some folks, and they will tell you that trees and plants can talk to each other. Perhaps they can organise themselves for a coming season lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Do we reeeealllly know that for sure? Ask some folks, and they will tell you that trees and plants can talk to each other. Perhaps they can organise themselves for a coming season lol.

Someone's suggesting that plants are clairvoyant, eh? Sort of 'Mystic Veg'?

Maybe folks who think that plants converse ought to think about seeing a psychiatrist? Rose Bush is supposed to be quite good...biggrin.png

Posted

Isn't that simply because the vast majority have a set of winter tyres in the garage and have now put them on their cars?

nope i have never had winter tyres and i have been here nearly 4 years.

Posted

Without getting off topic too much, the grade of tyre sold generally in places like Calgary, are all season tyres. They have grip for ice and snow. The tyre generally sold over here are summer tyres. Yes, they hold well in the wet etc, but don't handle the cold at all!

Posted

Without getting off topic too much, the grade of tyre sold generally in places like Calgary, are all season tyres. They have grip for ice and snow. The tyre generally sold over here are summer tyres. Yes, they hold well in the wet etc, but don't handle the cold at all!

lots of people do have winter tyres here and swap their all season ones..depends on the vehicle you drive and the type of snow you get...anyway its still snowing temp -7c..do i expect this weather to be the forerunner of a cold snowy one for my location..i dont think so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

lots of people do have winter tyres here and swap their all season ones..depends on the vehicle you drive and the type of snow you get...anyway its still snowing temp -7c..do i expect this weather to be the forerunner of a cold snowy one for my location..i dont think so.

Now you've said that, it will probably snow all winter where you are... smiliz39.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

didnt realise laura tobin had moved to itv!

No way.. she was my fave (and a qualified meteorologist)

Posted

Lets hope that "there's berries on the bush" is a myth,because there's sod all on them around here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I sincerely hope that the CFS is wrong, just now: I don't look forward to a winter of northerly Jet Streams and Bartlett highs...

I was wondering why hardly anyone's been posting it much, of late...

Best not to!good.gif

Posted

Someone's suggesting that plants are clairvoyant, eh? Sort of 'Mystic Veg'?

Maybe folks who think that plants converse ought to think about seeing a psychiatrist? Rose Bush is supposed to be quite good...biggrin.png

Pete that is a classic-thank you

Posted

I sincerely hope that the CFS is wrong, just now: I don't look forward to a winter of northerly Jet Streams and Bartlett highs...

Best not to!good.gif

Still a merry christmas though..blum.gif

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

One heck of a chart there Cloud 10good.gif. Netweather predict a 27% risk for snow next Monday at 6am; im thrilled!;)

Posted

Well not going to get to excited about the cold snap...anything that happens then will be a bonus. :-)

Posted

Still a merry christmas though..blum.gif

Looks like a toppler to me

Posted

One heck of a chart there Cloud 10good.gif. Netweather predict a 27% risk for snow next Monday at 6am; im thrilled!;)

well do you think it will come off though? both the toppler and next monday

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Best not to!good.gif

I see what you mean, not the best or most wintery outlook one wants.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfsme_cartes.php?ech=1&mode=1&carte=0&run=10

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfsme_cartes.php?ech=2&mode=1&carte=0&run=10

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfsme_cartes.php?ech=3&mode=1&carte=0&run=10

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfsme_cartes.php?ech=4&mode=1&carte=0&run=10

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfsme_cartes.php?ech=5&mode=1&carte=0&run=10

It's only the CFS though................ lol.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I'm afraid it is true, plants are reactive and not proactive. The amount of fruit produced depends on the conditions when the plant is in blossom. Here we had what seemed like permanant rain, so the lack of sunlight and the lack of pollinating insects has mean't a poor year for sloes, apples, crabapples etc. Haw hasn't done too bad, blackberries are in reasonable number but seem alot smaller this year and I did manage to get a decent crop of damsons and greengages. Its been the worst year for apples and sloes that I can remember.

I have always looked for signs in nature to see if anything helps to predict the coming winter but I can't say I've seen anything. Birds arrive and depart at varying times but no pattern has emerged from this.