Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 9th January 2013>

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Potential on Monday from the GFS & GEM, not quite cold enough IMO on the ECM;

post-12721-0-13916300-1357844764_thumb.j

However you can clearly see below the colder air returning and increasing the snow potential significantly;

post-12721-0-52552800-1357844830_thumb.jpost-12721-0-03338600-1357844837_thumb.jpost-12721-0-93663100-1357844844_thumb.j

All a long way out yet though, but nice to see.

We have a possibility of something this weekend first, albeit nothing major. I'm excited about the next few weeks though, I got a good feeling about it.

It depends on where you live I guess, but for Ian to mention 2-5cm locally later with 5-10cm on high ground I would say its got potential to be a significant event , 2inches would cause chaos , although not a lot , still cause minor disruption , but 10cm on high ground would cause certain chaos for some of us . . .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Anyone said anything to family & friends yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Guys has anyone got that link to the page that shows all the model in one view .. Its in another language and quite a basic looking page... I've lost it sad.png

( Edit: No matter, found it: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/comp_panel.php?mode=0&ech=102&size=2 )

Mentioned to both

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yep, told all my olds that there was the potential of some disruption from Sat onwards. I'd rather look a fool than have them go without anything they might need, even for a day. angel.gif

They do know me by now though... tease.gif

Kate in Southampton

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Oh, and I did sympathise with the woman working at Winchester Services on the M3...

And I told everybody on Facebook to get their sledges out...

Sorry, my bad sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

For those who didn't see Ian Fergusson excellent forecast it is here- on the right hand side! http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654675 -- smile.png

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

JMA also looking good for the medium term for us, similiar to the ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I cracked at work today although I said I'd have more idea by friday how likely snow was. mega_shok.giftease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Quote "A lot to play for...."rofl.gif

Lets Play Pin the Tail on the Donkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I haven't said too much... Yet I'm too scared it'll go baps up!

Off out for our Xmas meal at The Mendip Inn saturday night - could be fun getting there!

Posted

I have told everyone, quite happy to look a fool but I am not called the snow queen at work for nothing, 100% success record so far & FYI I never mentioned the non-event in December, couldn't see it coming off. acute.gif

Im just as bad.

People know to take what I say with a pinch of salt most of the time, but they know I do get it right from time to time esp if I keep saying it... Its normally.. WERE GONNA GET LOTS OF THUNDER ( and then none ) or LOADS OF SNOW ( and we get a frost )

Posted

Frankly stupid idea to remove everyone's locations from below their user name.

It's the first thing I look for in interesting weather situations, even to regularly refresh my mind as to where well known

local members are based.

I can foresee many posts on various threads with members asking each other where they are based!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Yep ...shaping up to be very interesting with some marginal snowfall events.

I see that you're near Alton ...why not head a few minutes up the A31 to Four Marks ..the small increase in altitude (220m) could make all the difference!

Yep, Four Marks seems to have it's own mini climate!! I frequently hear reports of snow there, which turns into rain as you head towards Alton!

In marginal situations like this it becomes difficult to pinpoint where the snow will fall even within 12 hours.

Local environment and geography often comes into play and some people will be disappointed whereas others pleasantly surprised.

The fact 1.5 weeks ago we were looking at raging westerlies...just having the potential for snow has me dribbling. Even if it doesn't last very long at least I can say it hasn't been a snow-less winter then! (Although..in my own spoilt mode I'm not happy until its settling) Fingers crossed! crazy.gif

Haha they are all probably exhausted after staying up until 4am watching the 00z runs blum.gif

The best snowfall seems to appear after only a few hours warning! So I don't read too much into forecasts that are too far out.

Posted

It's the first thing I look for in interesting weather situations, even to regularly refresh my mind as to where well known

local members are based.

I can foresee many posts on various threads with members asking each other where they are based!!

You can click their profile if needed.

I think its less load on the Database to not get that data every load ( 1000's of users online etc.. franticly hitting f5 )

Posted

local members are based.

Someone suggested that we all put our location in a signature which is a good idea. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

So what have I missed???

Is it going to be snowmaggedon the next week or so in bournemouth?? Will I. Be building a family of ⛄⛄⛄⛄

Posted

I have told everyone, quite happy to look a fool but I am not called the snow queen at work for nothing, 100% success record so far & FYI I never mentioned the non-event in December, couldn't see it coming off. [

img]http://forum.nwstatic.co.uk//public/style_emoticons/default/acute.gif

As i mentioned a few weeks ago i'm not saying anything but in work today we had a directive from our Business Continuity bod about possible disruption next week and everyone has to take their laptops home every evening.

So everyone is alert to it anyway!

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Fingers crossed the colder air is a bit further west so everyone can join in the fun!

Jase

Got a feeling we will get some mate. BBC reckons its snowing all week here in Princetown next week!! Not sure about that!! Haha!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

local members are based.

Yep, I'm with you on that. I've just edited my signature and put it in there for the time being

Posted

Hi everyone, like most of you I'm hoping we get some snow at some point. My kids are praying for it lol

Posted

Got a feeling we will get some mate. BBC reckons its snowing all week here in Princetown next week!! Not sure about that!! Haha!!

I hope so, depends on how far west the cold air gets, we have elevation on our side but the cold air is a little too Far East for my liking. There will be upgrades and downgrades for us all I imagine, fascinating but nail biting stuff all the same. These cold v warm battlegrounds can give good falls of snow, sometimes things crop up at short notice too! Keep an eye on here and the metoffice.

Jase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

local members are based.

Yes have to agree, ridiculous, but why have they been removed?