Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 9th January 2013>

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Saturday into Sunday was always going to be borderline and it still is, with the position of the transitional low being paramount.

As Ian F alluded to earlier this week, next Monday onwards is where the excitement may lie and sure enough, even the GFS is now hinting as this.

Heard that plenty of times and as it turned out, snow was the more likely outcome.

Here here acute.gif , so have I in my analysis posts, even a few days ago and maybe further back too. sorry.gif

I think several people lack the ability to listen to others in these forums. Whilst the future is uknown and will always be, it does pay to listen to the likes of fergieweather and others. help.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A filthy mood's no good, you've got to be dedicated full time to grouchiness and have a certificate from the men in white coats.

you know it makes sense!! crazy.gif

Posted

This really is going to be a day by day thing, isn't it? 24 hours ago my met office phone app showed 12 hours of light snow sat pm through to sun am. Now there is rain with one solitary little snowflake around 3am! sad.png

However, 2 little snowflakes have now appeared for mon evening. So I am looking to next week for a chance of snowfall now smile.png

Yep ...shaping up to be very interesting with some marginal snowfall events.

I see that you're near Alton ...why not head a few minutes up the A31 to Four Marks ..the small increase in altitude (220m) could make all the difference!

Posted

A filthy mood's no good, you've got to be dedicated full time to grouchiness and have a certificate from the men in white coats.

Oh, I am generally a happy person & rarely grouchy,not even in the mornings. My mad moments generally involve tequila, in fact shots of any description and dancing on tables, these times never accompany voices. I will never be a MOD will I :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Oh, I am generally a happy person & rarely grouchy,not even in the mornings. My mad moments generally involve tequila, in fact shots of any description and dancing on tables, these times never accompany voices. I will never be a MOD will I sad.png

Oh I don't know, I too have a history of Tequilla and table dancing, the two seem a match made in heaven.

Posted

GEM very similiar to the GFS, with a battleground scenario playing out across the west on Monday;

post-12721-0-44500600-1357836661_thumb.j

Do we get to choose? If so, I'd like that one, please.

Thank you. cold.gifbiggrin.png

Posted

you know it makes sense!! crazy.gif

I once worked with a woman who threw a hissy fit in the office, someone said she was mad, her response was to go to her desk and produce a certificate showing she wasn't......strange but true world of working in publishing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

its a shame you cant see where members are from now...it was easier for me to see what was happening near by :)

Posted

I said the same last winter, this is the best regional thread on Net weather. lot more happier than our lot in the Doom and gloom Midlands threadlaugh.png lets hope you get a bit of white stuff to cheer you up after the terrible weather you've endured.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Here is another GFS PPN chart for Saturday afternoon;

post-12721-0-40131900-1357840880_thumb.j

Showing some half decent snowfall across Gloucestershire, north Wiltshire.

Still considerable variation on Saturdays events still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

This really is going to be a day by day thing, isn't it? 24 hours ago my met office phone app showed 12 hours of light snow sat pm through to sun am. Now there is rain with one solitary little snowflake around 3am! sad.png

However, 2 little snowflakes have now appeared for mon evening. So I am looking to next week for a chance of snowfall now smile.png

In marginal situations like this it becomes difficult to pinpoint where the snow will fall even within 12 hours.

Local environment and geography often comes into play and some people will be disappointed whereas others pleasantly surprised.

The fact 1.5 weeks ago we were looking at raging westerlies...just having the potential for snow has me dribbling. Even if it doesn't last very long at least I can say it hasn't been a snow-less winter then! (Although..in my own spoilt mode I'm not happy until its settling) Fingers crossed! crazy.gif

It's all gone strangely quiet on the mod thread. It's freaking me out if I'm honest, I think I prefer the nonsense, arguments and caravaning. ph34r.png

LOL @ caravaning biggrin.png

Haha they are all probably exhausted after staying up until 4am watching the 00z runs :p

Posted

It's all gone strangely quiet on the mod thread. It's freaking me out if I'm honest, I think I prefer the nonsense, arguments and caravaning. ph34r.png

LOL @ caravaning biggrin.png

They're waiting for Ian's forecast - just under an hour to go!

Horrible afternoon - not truly cold (7) and rain, miserable rain, more rain and still it's raining...lighting a fire and delving into large box of chocolate and a nice warm Merlot!!

Posted

They're waiting for Ian's forecast - just under an hour to go!

Horrible afternoon - not truly cold (7) and rain, miserable rain, more rain and still it's raining...lighting a fire and delving into large box of chocolate and a nice warm Merlot!!

It's been horrible hasn't it! I wanted to go to stargazing in Taunton tonight, but I think I'll give it a miss due to current conditions. Never mind, I still have the housework & the washing up to look forward to sorry.gif

Posted

its a shame you cant see where members are from now...it was easier for me to see what was happening near by smile.png

The info has been turned off to help stop the servers melting whilst it's busy. MK made a brilliant suggestion earlier and it's perhaps one we should all do and that's add your location to your signature then it will be at the bottom of every post. Go to your profile, click on edit your profile, then click the signature link on the left hand side, then write where you are. Personally I think it's great knowing where everyone is, especially when snow is in the off-ing, and more importantly for those who don't have a radar subscription, then we can track which way the snow is heading and how quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

latest ecm isn't bad for most of the country but take a guess what part of the uk it isn't great for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Oh I can't believe how nervous I am over this coming cold period/spell/snap of weather we are nearing... unsure.png

We all wait for our local hero on local weather now to deliver the goods... air_kiss.gifgood.gif

Just watched national weather and even on that it looks a fine line between get your hats and gloves out or just wellies and water proofs... tease.gifcray.gif

latest ecm isn't bad for most of the country but take a guess what part of the uk it isn't great for.

wales...? blum.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

wales...?

I wish (no offence to the Wales contingent lol), the snow bearing cold uppers aren't making it this far west when precipitation is around, looking good for the eastern side of the uk as per usual though.

Edited by Smartie

Posted

i think the ec is pretty fantastic for most in the our region smartie, remember that the winds will be almost totally easterly in nature providing the colder under cut, i think the ec run would provide a great deal of snow for our region next week (if it were to verify which it probably wont ! )

Posted

national weather looked ok... Did not go into detail... But had rain turning to snow...On graphics...

Looking forward to the forecast tonight from Ian feeling hopeful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

i think the ec is pretty fantastic for most in the our region smartie, remember that the winds will be almost totally easterly in nature providing the colder under cut, i think the ec run would provide a great deal of snow for our region next week (if it were to verify which it probably wont ! )

I was just looking and thinking similar the uppers get abit borderline if it was usual situation but -3/-5c easterly would mean snow away from coasts?

Posted

Pleasantly surprised with Susan Powell's forecast for Sat/Sun there. Still showing the South Coast as rain, but the snowline was further south than perhaps expected and therefore the trend is in the right direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

here the t120 and t144 850s, -4 would guarantee snow in that set up imho, so sorry cornwall and parts of devon but for the rest of the region....YES.

still time for upgrades as its 5 days away.

good looking ECM tonight.

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The ECM isn't so good for Monday, as a mild sector enters the SW, but it would bury us later on in the week!