Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 9th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

He also added this for Saturday, the dynamic nature of all of this continues, as nerves are bitten, fingernails shredded and cliches generally mixed up:

"fergieweather, on 10 January 2013 - 21:37 , said:

PS new update for UK4, NAE and MOGREPS shows either NO low-lying settled (stress - this is modelling settled, not falling snow) snow by 18z Saturday or barely detectable amounts. Thus, we continue with theme of lying snow mostly (if not exclusively) likely 200m+, especially uplands of E Wales and environs. Cater for perhaps 2-4cm in some low-lying parts of Midlands etc. But anyway - this note of caution required before anyone gets too excited about Saturday!! We will see what tomorrow's runs offer."

Ah yes, he must of posted this earlier.

Funny isn't it, pros, models, senior members uncertain about Saturdays PPN and yet we are having all sorts of predictions for early next week snowfall.... #pointless

Posted

From Ian F a minute ago.

Wales and SW Midlands best place to be Saturday:

UKM discussion just on conference - - keen to stress distinction between a fair few areas seeing snow falling on Sat, versus those - mostly uplands E/SE Wales, SW Midlands - actually seeing it settling to any meaningful degree..... just to be clear on the message from them!

Posted

Just been out to whitstable for dinner its 5c there, 1c back in faversham...... Misty/foggy but dry..... Hoping for some snow this weekend.... Mite be lucky with a nne/ne wind off thames estuary..... Fingerscrossed for se contingent.....

Edited by willinkent44

Hopefully the latest BBC forecast is conservative. It showed precipitation as rain on Saturday and not very far north, but still cold. Just about as cold as it can be before it snows. Cold rain! Typical story if that happens. Then when it does become cold enough the rain has gone as it headed away south, and then some very light showers just brushing the Kent coast but that's about it.

Edited by SF-02

Posted

Your married to Yamkin ??? help.gifhelp.gifhelp.giftease.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif I nearly spat me whiskey on the screen.....

NO.. (no offence yammers I do love ya), my hubby is the coordinator for footway gritting. I know if he has his crews on standby there will be lying snow in central London.smiliz39.gif

John Pike where are you! I neeeed to see whats up with the fax reports!

Edited by Amanzi

Posted

A gritting lorry went doen our road earlier this evening and it was spreading grit but only a small amount. This made no sense at the time as it won't be cold enough tonight to justify it so I was a bit baffled until I realised.... maybe they were practising? Yamkin, can you advise whether gritters engage in dress rehearsals?

Either that or it was a rogue gritter, a maverick, out on his own, just him and his yellow friend, proud, defiant, iconoclastic. Indifferent to the shallow and decadent ways of the towns of Surrey, simply wanting to jut his jaw, stare silently ahead and say to himself: 'I grit, therefore I am.'

AS

Councils have a tight budget and have to account for usage within margins. Gritters are tested before and after leaving the factory. MetO are now sitting on the fence regarding potential snow for Croydon area. This is quite normal for the MetO to sit on the fence at times which can be very frustrating to say the least. An update bulletin will be issued tomorrow and I am expecting the MetO to increase the snow risk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hi Ruthie if you know where the light is fed from most PIR lights will stay on if you quickly turn the power off and back on,I am an electrician but its when I am snow watching when I do thisacute.gif

Thanks. It's just plugged in the living room and goes thru the wall outside. That description is a bit rubbish isn't it!! I will try that on sat, but going by the latest bbc news24 it's rain I will be watching, how nice! Or snizzle!!

Posted

I'll leave it to John Pike to analyse the FAX charts however I expect he'll like them! smile.png

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

An update bulletin will be issued tomorrow and I am expecting the MetO to increase the snow risk.

We can all rest easy now then good.gif

I'm going to get some sleep in preparation for all night radar watching sessions, night all lazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Think what Ian F means is that good chance for a lot of people to see falling snow but not much settling snow.

I'll be honest I was never expecting that personally on Saturday anyway as it will most likely be a rain to snow event so the ground would be too wet and the snow too light.

It's more of a taster I think for Sun onwards potential where there could be more in the way of heavy settling snow.....well that is what the models show for now.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Anyone who complains about not having a lamppost is obviously too tight to go out and buy their own LAMPPOST.

What it would only be used maybe twice a yr,not worth the money and plugging it in would put my electric bill way high

Posted

Councils have a tight budget and have to account for usage within margins. Gritters are tested before and after leaving the factory. MetO are now sitting on the fence regarding potential snow for Croydon area. This is quite normal for the MetO to sit on the fence at times which can be very frustrating to say the least. An update bulletin will be issued tomorrow and I am expecting the MetO to increase the snow risk.

Thanks Y

Next week, rather than this weekend, looking more promising for snow more generally I think, based on latest runs where GFS (according to many on the MOD thread at least) appears to be moving towards the euro models

Posted

Thanks Y

Next week, rather than this weekend, looking more promising for snow more generally I think, based on latest runs where GFS (according to many on the MOD thread at least) appears to be moving towards the euro models

GFS now sending the shortwave around T+90 in a similar direction to the Euro's. Net result = continuing cold conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Yes, GFS finally shows the white flag and backs down. In fact, the 18z appears to be quite a good run for both snow and cold! Dumping of snow for many parts Mon night/Tuesday, and Wed (for EA mostly).

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

My favourite part is sitting at the computer one browser opened on radar one on net weather forum another on a live cam, reading what's happening where twitching back and forth to the curtain like I'm at mission control!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

My favourite part is sitting at the computer one browser opened on radar one on net weather forum another on a live cam, reading what's happening where twitching back and forth to the curtain like I'm at mission control!

I remember I think it was either 2009 or 2010 where I was sitting watching the large pink blob approaching the red dot (me) on the radar and being all excited telling the kids it was going to snow soon when they told me it already was lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Just in from work no de-icing the car tonight unlike last night! Temp 2 degrees and grifters are out!!! I don't expect we shall have any snow here now whatsoever and you know why? OH came home tonight with a new sledge for our boy and I came home with wallpaper and paint to decorate whilst he can't work Sunday Monday because we are snowed in!!!! - so very sorry guys :(

Posted

GFS help.gifhelp.gif

-12 Uppers coming into the SE By Tuesday! Big Old Convective Showers! Just need a favourable wind direction and BOOOOOOM!!

Posted

Gritters going up and down whitstable high street havent seen that for quite a while..... And the smaller sideroads..... Must know something we dont..... Or lots of salt in council coffers.....

Posted

GFS appears to be an upgrade. JP & I knew GFS had to come on board sometime today.

Here's a few snowy outcomes this weekend in parts of the SE biggrin.png

post-2721-0-22701700-1357857003_thumb.pn

post-2721-0-29970900-1357857010_thumb.pn

post-2721-0-92529100-1357857017_thumb.pn

post-2721-0-42695500-1357857024_thumb.pn

Posted

Well, I see things have taken a turn for the better (Longer term) for us this evening. I'm rather happy about this, as being brutally honest, I didn't ever expect saturday's event to mount up to much for most of the region, and in my opinion, the downgrading of that event in return for an upgrade next week is definitely worth it. Of course, it could all go horribly wrong, but at the moment, I'm rather happy with next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

GFS Finally the penny drops, after having a trigger moment......

post-9147-0-50355700-1357856918_thumb.pn

post-9147-0-95980700-1357856931.jpg

Posted

Blimey I did not know I had a twinrofl.gif