Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 9th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Haa same here!! The one on main road is too far away for me to see and so I rely on the garden light coming on,,but means having to walk out to activate,,unless mr fox or mr badger walk past it!!

Ruthie you need one of those 1,000,000 candle flashlights you see in DIY shops - but not advisable if you live anywhere near a flightpath!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

Having taken a sneak peek into other regionals we seem to be rather subdued in here tonight. Nobody excited?

After many close but no cigar moments in the past, including the "THAT ECM" last December....... no.

There is still some uncertainty but i'm sure when the models firm up the excitement on here take off!

Edited by Icebox

Posted

A gritting lorry went doen our road earlier this evening and it was spreading grit but only a small amount. This made no sense at the time as it won't be cold enough tonight to justify it so I was a bit baffled until I realised.... maybe they were practising? Yamkin, can you advise whether gritters engage in dress rehearsals?

Either that or it was a rogue gritter, a maverick, out on his own, just him and his yellow friend, proud, defiant, iconoclastic. Indifferent to the shallow and decadent ways of the towns of Surrey, simply wanting to jut his jaw, stare silently ahead and say to himself: 'I grit, therefore I am.'

AS

My husband does gritting for Central London. They have to callibrate the machinery. Depending on how many grams per square inch has to be laid down. Hope that helps.

Posted

A gritting lorry went doen our road earlier this evening and it was spreading grit but only a small amount. This made no sense at the time as it won't be cold enough tonight to justify it so I was a bit baffled until I realised.... maybe they were practising? Yamkin, can you advise whether gritters engage in dress rehearsals?

Either that or it was a rogue gritter, a maverick, out on his own, just him and his yellow friend, proud, defiant, iconoclastic. Indifferent to the shallow and decadent ways of the towns of Surrey, simply wanting to jut his jaw, stare silently ahead and say to himself: 'I grit, therefore I am.'

AS

AS, all the usual roads have been gritted I noticed as I drove to choir... Goodness knows why though!

Posted

My husband does gritting for Central London. They have to callibrate the machinery. Depending on how many grams per square inch has to be laid down. Hope that helps.

Thanks Amanzi. Although I prefer my romantic rogue gritter theory, it is good to know the truth!

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Neighbours will think i am looking in there window all the time now, dont think they will believe i am Snow watching in a lamppost

Aye, that can be a problem...

Posted

AS, all the usual roads have been gritted I noticed as I drove to choir... Goodness knows why though!

I thought you would have known GP that all the machinery has to be calibrated (cough, thanks Amanzi!)

Posted

This confirms my thoughts. Northern extent of ppn Saturday is Reading! From Ian F:

Extended UK4 Precip Type signal (run with no cold bias) is strong for (mostly light) snow in retreating front by 2100hrs anywhere from approx Cardiff/Bristol eastwards to Reading and onwards to Kent & anywhere broadly south of that line, with exception of southern coastal districts (rain). The next event of interest signalled in MOGREPS snow probs and other modelling such as EC-EPS is overnight Sunday into Monday, with snow / leading edge freezing rain event tracking S down western-central parts of the UK. Less certainty of course on that one (not least with poor UKMO-GM continuity handling the development), but the output charts look fascinating at this juncture. General pattern from NW at that stage also with support now from ARPEGE.

Edited by Dexter29

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It looks like the cold uppers might be coming in a tad sooner than was previously thought, due to the LP falling away south sooner...What the long-term ramifications might be though - who knows?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Ruthie you need one of those 1,000,000 candle flashlights you see in DIY shops - but not advisable if you live anywhere near a flightpath!

Omg! Think the pilots going to heathrow might mistake my garden as a landing strip!! Haa.

Posted

This confirms my thoughts. Northern extent of ppn Saturday is Reading! From Ian F:

He also added this for Saturday, the dynamic nature of all of this continues, as nerves are bitten, fingernails shredded and cliches generally mixed up:

"fergieweather, on 10 January 2013 - 21:37 , said:

PS new update for UK4, NAE and MOGREPS shows either NO low-lying settled (stress - this is modelling settled, not falling snow) snow by 18z Saturday or barely detectable amounts. Thus, we continue with theme of lying snow mostly (if not exclusively) likely 200m+, especially uplands of E Wales and environs. Cater for perhaps 2-4cm in some low-lying parts of Midlands etc. But anyway - this note of caution required before anyone gets too excited about Saturday!! We will see what tomorrow's runs offer."

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

Yes GFS 18z doesn't put Saturday's PPN any further north than London. Hoping for some snow showers on Sunday now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Neighbours will think i am looking in there window all the time now, dont think they will believe i am Snow watching in a lamppost

Its usually when they see the telescope they start complaining!

Posted

Haa same here!! The one on main road is too far away for me to see and so I rely on the garden light coming on,,but means having to walk out to activate,,unless mr fox or mr badger walk past it!!

Hi Ruthie if you know where the light is fed from most PIR lights will stay on if you quickly turn the power off and back on,I am an electrician but its when I am snow watching when I do thisacute.gif

Posted

Omg! Think the pilots going to heathrow might mistake my garden as a landing strip!! Haa.

That's what I was worried about - be careful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I wonder if someone from the forum could confirm they are switched off to save the load on the servers at this busy time.

Sorry just seen what someone has been said, it's a shame that has to go as it's very useful at these times of interesting weather when reports start coming in.

If everyone amends their signature in their profiles, it will do the same job — rough location and height above sea level if known.

Posted

Thanks Amanzi. Although I prefer my romantic rogue gritter theory, it is good to know the truth!

AS

Far more poetic than reality. I really do feel for the guys that drive the quad bikes... what with having to fight off the riff raff stumbling out of pubs and clubs , whilst dressed in thermal suites, ski masks with goggles to complete the ensemble.

Posted

Your married to Yamkin ??? help.gifhelp.gifhelp.giftease.gif