Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 12th January 2013>

Jane Louise

Posted

Attached is the latest radar imagery from the netweather v6 radar, overlaid with UPPER AIR profiles.

The area to note is where the darkest green colouration meets the blue colouration, this is where the SNOW is more or less guaranteed. It is currently sleet/wet snow in the darkest green 529DAM (?) region.

post-7183-0-54707000-1358000028_thumb.pn

This whole area is slowly but surely shifting towards this region. clapping.gif

Interesting thank you :)

Could I ask quickly, as I haven't quite understood sorry, where is the final colour that could see some snow? If that makes sense?

Edited by dec10snow

Posted

Interesting thank you smile.png

Could I ask quickly, as I haven't quite understood sorry, where is the final colour that could see some snow? If that makes sense?

528 Dam Line Blue but possibly the Darkest Green wind has picked up alot too here.

Posted

Definitely something more sleety in this precipitation now! Temperatures a bit cooler now please?? :D

528 Dam Line Blue but possibly the Darkest Green wind has picked up alot too here.

Okay, thank you! Come on then cold air, move quicker please!?

Posted

Looks like we do have a chance in the coming weeks, according to Piers Corbyn, make of him what you will, but he has seemed to have been very accurate in the past weeks...

http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=512&c=5

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Attached is the latest radar imagery from the netweather v6 radar, overlaid with UPPER AIR profiles.

The area to note is where the darkest green colouration meets the blue colouration, this is where the SNOW is more or less guaranteed. It is currently sleet/wet snow in the darkest green 529DAM (?) region.

post-7183-0-54707000-1358000028_thumb.pn

This whole area is slowly but surely shifting towards this region. clapping.gif

That is so tempting to me to subscribe. The overlay is particularly useful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Perhaps you should listen to what the met office is saying then, as at no point have they ever stated anyone would be snowbound by today.

Furthermore, this region has never appeared to be in the forefront of snow predictions by the professionals at the met office for Sunday night or Monday.

Yes there is a chance, but it is not a definite and even with that chance, amounts will be small for the south west.

The first point highlighted above is correct, as they possess more tools in their arsenal than any of us will ever get access to.

The second point highlighted is incorrect IMHO as we simply won't know about future prospects until nearer the time. Again, the MetO updates or some of the analyses on here will tell us more by the time we get into the relevant period. I must say however, my primary focus has been from Tuesday onwards as I think it will only be then that we should be analysing anything in detail.

Time will tell of course but much will be down to radar and lamp-post watching.

2.3c right now in Newbury, Berkshire. cold.gif We are slowly progressing towards our winter landscape dreams.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Interesting thank you smile.png

Blue good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just been up to the local village shop to pick up essentials (bicardi, coke & mini cheddars) and it is bitter now, bits and pieces of sleet in the keen wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Would be nice to see the Yellow Alert extended for further parts of the SW, rather than the further NE point for our region, still time I guess??

Think should have had Yellow Alert for todays rain, Lots standing water on road, fields looking like lake again,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Is this for today/ tomorrow, or for the situation we may have Monday?

today, I'd imagine

Posted

My comments were for Monday; should have clarified. The met office yellow warning for Monday clearly shows how borderline it is. Gloucestershire area has a better chance on Monday, but it's characteristics are more central England than west country.

I don't have a clue for after that! Prob going to be a now casting event!

Posted

It's been dry d breezy in Gloucester sinc around 1130hrs today. The paths are dry and the precip forecast on nowcast with the dug in colder air could suprise a few people in the northern part of this region.

My hunch is BANES east 75 miles might be happy by the time the footy results roll in.

When both teams score, its snow galore.

Posted

Hailstones! biggrin.png

Excellent, the more this lot increases in intensity, I believe the more mixing will go on and there will as a consequnce be a higher probability of SNOW for more of us.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

7 degrees Celsius here, feeling fresh, it'll need to be colder than for snow...so far rain showers and occasional sun in Exeter...lets hope we all get snow Monday and it settles

Posted

I'm in Wareham, Dorset. smile.png

Yes looks intresting even on the south coast might spare some thunder if your lucky :D

Posted

Really wouldn't get too despondent. We really won't know for certain until tomorrow what is going to happen on Monday's/Tuesday's event.

Even if that doesn't produce the goods the odds are on for an even colder spell later in the month and going into February. Still plenty of time this winter for us all to get some snowfall. Patience (and a bit of faith) is the key good.gif

Got to agree with this. It's looking a bit marginal especially the further south and west you are for the early part of next week. A lot of people will see some snow falling, wether it settles will be location/height dependant.

Trying to keep my expectations low....maybe I'll nicely suprised that way..

Lets hope the further effects of the ongoing SSW fall in our favour later in the month!

Currently 4.4 C in a raw easterly, dry for now.

Posted

It's been dry d breezy in Gloucester sinc around 1130hrs today. The paths are dry and the precip forecast on nowcast with the dug in colder air could suprise a few people in the northern part of this region.

My hunch is BANES east 75 miles might be happy by the time the footy results roll in.

When both teams score, its snow galore.

Define BANES please.

Battleground areas North, East and South maybe? cc_confused.gif

Posted

Think should have had Yellow Alert for todays rain, Lots standing water on road, fields looking like lake again,

Totally agree i've had nearly 40mm of rain so far today, with plenty more to come, far far more than any model predicted and a warning should have been put in place for it imho at 11.00 as it fairly obvious it was far more intense than they thought.

This system is very different to the system forecast 24 hrs ago....

Anyway finally below 5C now (its taken ages but current temp is 4.7C and falling).