Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion - 12/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Good lord, that's looking nice

ECM0-72.GIF?13-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

There is no warm sector, even the west is around -4. Anglia looks to me to have -12 uppers! All to play for tomorrow.

ED: Probably -10

ECM0-24.GIF?13-0

*edits again*

Just scraping -8's

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Looking through the T48 charts and the deep low pressure system that is modeled to develop and move SE along the north Canadian coast towards Newfoundland. It would appear that the GFS has this system modeled at the lowest pressure (970mb) and thus shows the most energy available. UKMO is showing 980mb and the ECM 975. Small differences, but it would seem that these small differences in available energy are what enable the undercut, which is, as previously noted, shown on about 30% of the GFES possibilities in one form or another.

Posted

What frustrates me, is that we're always looking 4-5 days ahead.

As soon as any possible snow events get to within 2-3 days away, they start to water down and only a very few get lucky, or it turns out to be a complete non event.

Looking through the various GFS runs, Precipitation charts, uppers etc...there's hardly any agreement what so ever even as early as + 96.

I think the next 24 hours models are all worth taking with the smallest pinch of salt, everything is changing hour by hour, I have no faith in any of them at this present time.

SPOT ON! Too many people on this thread look for problems/breakdowns/upgrades in F1 that never happen. I'd give anything to go back to the early 80's when on monday morning you would wake up to 1ft of snow followed by weeks of sub zero temperatures without the weeks/days of prior F1 analysis.

Posted

Much better ECM T96

ECH1-96.GIF?13-0

ECH0-96.GIF

You can see already energy going south east not east

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

*edits again*

Just scraping -8's

Look at the chart again, just below the top near the "Run 12z ECM". Look at the shade of blue noted -12 and then look at Anglia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I may be wrong but i think its that pesky bit of vortex near baffin thats causing the problem with our high sinking http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm721.gif!! Evil little shortwaves being spawned and spat into the atlantic, wonder how long that will take to bugger off?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

SPOT ON! Too many people on this thread look for problems/breakdowns/upgrades in F1 that never happen. I'd give anything to go back to the early 80's when on monday morning you would wake up to 1ft of snow followed by weeks of sub zero temperatures without the weeks/days of prior F1 analysis.

Aye PF.. Breakdowns are what make F1 so entertaining!rofl.gif Anywho, one the sport section?

Posted

Simple to describe the ECM at +96. Better than the GFS but not as good as the UKMO.

ECM1-96.GIF?13-0

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Much better ECM T96

ECH1-96.GIF?13-0

ECH0-96.GIF

You can see already energy going south east not east

Yes a lovely little shortwave ready to go under. Another step in the right direction.

Posted

Aye PF.. Breakdowns are what make F1 so entertaining!rofl.gif Anywho, one the sport section?

They are entertaining as in they build our hopes up but never actually verify, today being a prime example,rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I think im resigned to the fact now that its going to be cold and frosty from wednesday onwards http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm961.gif and not the convective easterly that was being shown yesterday just too much energy going north sadly!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Yes ECM encouraging at t96 and TEITS summed it up perfectly. Should be a better run. Only just looked at the 12z GFS ensembles, so much better than previous runs, some good runs appearing in there now too. 120 not so good, this disagreement getting all too annoying.

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

These models really can't decide can they.

ECM1-120.GIF?13-0

Like the GFS some energy goes SE&N whereas on the UKMO its all SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

I think im resigned to the fact now that its going to be cold and frosty from wednesday onwards http://www.wetterzen...ics/Recm961.gif and not the convective easterly that was being shown yesterday just too much energy going north sadly!!

Yes, would agree, but then again there may still be disturbances in the flow? I may be talking rubbish here, but things sometimes pop up at short notice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

What frustrates me, is that we're always looking 4-5 days ahead.

As soon as any possible snow events get to within 2-3 days away, they start to water down and only a very few get lucky, or it turns out to be a complete non event.

Looking through the various GFS runs, Precipitation charts, uppers etc...there's hardly any agreement what so ever even as early as + 96.

I think the next 24 hours models are all worth taking with the smallest pinch of salt, everything is changing hour by hour, I have no faith in any of them at this present time.

Very true but this the model discussion thread, so what do you expect??

I very rarely post in the thread and keep to the regionals because i know very little about reading the models. I come here to read in what way the knowledgable (?) posters on here are reading the charts for +48 right through to FI, thats what this thread is for!

Edit - back off to my regional hole now...

Edited by MarcB

Posted

These models really can't decide can they.

ECM1-120.GIF?13-0

Like the GFS some energy goes SE&N whereas on the UKMO its all SE.

V different from that UKMO chart earlier!

Posted

Agreement between the ECM and GFS of the modelling of the LP near Iceland at T120, I would have much greater confidence in this outcome as UKM was late to developing a similar low T 72hrs.

So overall not a bad ECM but not great, we need to see a movement towards the UKM in the morning and hope the UKM isn,t wrong about the Icelandic low as it was recently.