Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion

Team Jo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

BBC weather just said 'snow showers moving into Kent this afternoon, causing some difficulties here' exciting?! ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Had enough of rain,it spoilt the summer,and now its spoiling it again,such an anti climax to what was showing recently.oh well onwards and upwards,hopefully won't have to wait too long

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have to go up to Leicester for a few days for work tomorrow, timed that well, as seems a better chance of snow there than down here.

But, wouldn't rule out heavy snow in the SE tomorrow evening, given that ppn band is forecast to intensify as it hits the SE - which may tip us the right side of marginal through evaporative and nocturnal cooling. South coast probably hanging on to rain though.

Posted

I would suggest it's futile at the moment getting hung up on snow prospects after tomorrow. From experience showers or even streamers can get going with very little warning so why worry at this stage? The fact is it ought to be cold enough and merely getting this in place is easier said than done!

Enjoy the next few days.

Spot on..... That is 100% correct, with the sea temperature and the current conditions it is very possible a number of large streamers could form and punch into Essex and Kent running inland for 60 miles and dumping lots. You are spot on saying anything can happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Blue sky keeps poking through the clouds here argdiablo.gif

Posted

got to admit all the euro models go for snow for us but the uk ones go for rain south of london etc.. so if bbc24 still goes by their models and they still show rain about 11pm tonight and we see/wake up to a covering...oh dear!! also gonna be interesting for the country file weather forecaster later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

To be honest, I'm mainly concerned that I'm going to look silly for telling all my family and friends to expect snow tomorrow rofl.gif

Join the club bad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

new to this thread and I'm so confused lol .I'm in Hertfordshire. some are saying rain/sleet for me tomorrow while others are saying snow. can anyone enlighten me ??

There is another thread now for us EA and 3 counties although I jump from one to the other. Where in Herts are you? I am in Stevenage. From what I am gathering we are still on for some snow but please don't quote me on that :)

Posted

Spot on..... That is 100% correct, with the sea temperature and the current conditions it is very possible a number of large streamers could form and punch into Essex and Kent running inland for 60 miles and dumping lots. You are spot on saying anything can happen.

totally agree on that.. thames streamer sets up can snow for hours in certain spots. seen it a few times

Posted

Update from the MetO. The same alert is also on their website help.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

South East England 90% Icy conditions and low temperatures throughout. Snow accumulations expected from Sunday evening, through Monday and Tuesday with snow showers later. Strengthening winds later exacerbating the cold feel.

post-2721-0-50623300-1358077056_thumb.jp

Posted

All this talk about snow, i want to know when is it going to get cold?

The ground level in thanet is cold enough for snow to reach soil level, and this will continue to drop over the next 24/48 hours. The level above Thanet is also now at -5c and more and that will also allow formation of snow, so or less you suddenly get a warm area appear from all the sheep farting then anything you shoudl get falling should be snow. However weather is impossible sometimes to get right and thanet is a micro-climate for Kent so you may have different. rofl.gif

Posted

Had the briefest and barely perceptible snow flurry here about 30 mins ago. Wasn't expecting to see anything at all today though, so it's a tiny bonus.

Currently +2c. Low dewpoint at -4.4c. Pressure continues to rise.

I have just failed to explain the dewpoint to my 11 year old daughter who has rather sweetly been pretending to be interested in it!

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

BBC weather just said 'snow showers moving into Kent this afternoon, causing some difficulties here' exciting?! ;-)

It's at this point when I start to think to myself that East Surrey is practically Kent......

It does, though, demonstrate the way things can rapidly develop - good luck to you all down that way.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Yes they have .... this is only one level below what would become 'national emergency' status so stay warm over the next few days and please check up on any elderly or vulnerable neighbours good.gif

http://www.metoffice...oldWeatherAlert

Just to add to this - if you have Pets that are the outdoors type make sure they're toasty warm or inside with enough food, warm bedding, unfrozen water etc - my neighbours always seem to lock their cat out when it snows rolleyes.gif every year!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

snowin here :)

Posted

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0&lat=54.5

def some thing growing off the Essex coast Kent could have a nice afternoon!!

Posted

Looking good ...Snow showers off the north sea

Assume these won't push far SW/Inland enough for my location? Always seem to find a way to miss me haha

Posted

The ground level in thanet is cold enough for snow to reach soil level, and this will continue to drop over the next 24/48 hours. The level above Thanet is also now at -5c and more and that will also allow formation of snow, so or less you suddenly get a warm area appear from all the sheep farting then anything you shoudl get falling should be snow. However weather is impossible sometimes to get right and thanet is a micro-climate for Kent so you may have different. rofl.gif

That sounds good, temp 3.5 here in Minster