Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted

looks like its going to be raining tuesdays oh well bring on next winter its will be pointless with snow in feb because as soon as the sun comes out it will just melt the snow because it will be to strong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Met office still predicting 5c for the south for tuesday, although the 12z GFS predicts snow for the south coast. There is a lot of precipitation around tuesday so hopefully will change overnight.

Posted

So i take it Tuesday is the next event then? meto have me for snow on Tuesday . http://www.metoffice...Time=1358726400

na propz will just be rain just saw latest on news 24 and rain all over us apart from up north

Posted

na propz will just be rain just saw latest on news 24 and rain all over us apart from up north

3 words... Its the BBC........ Changes all time... but if meto think their could be snow.. their a hell of a lot more reliable than the outdated graphics

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

3 words... Its the BBC........ Changes all time... but if meto think their could be snow.. their a hell of a lot more reliable than the outdated graphics

hope your right

Posted

Blimey!! Someone from the village said there was a ridiculous amount of traffic!! Been the busiest I have ever seen it in Princetown. The owner of the pub where me, the missus and 2 other friends built our snow family reckons the must be the most photographed snowmen in the country!! Haha!! Here goes, will post again!!

post-18883-0-95906800-1358620118_thumb.j

post-18883-0-00678800-1358620138_thumb.j

Judging by my Facebook, half of Torbay were heading your way looking for snow! In years past friends have done this and spent six hours stuck and not done any sledging so I don't think I'd attempt it. Love your snowpeople! smile.png

Posted

looks like its going to be raining tuesdays oh well bring on next winter its will be pointless with snow in feb because as soon as the sun comes out it will just melt the snow because it will be to strong

Depends on how cold the air/ground are, in Feb 2009 snow stayed on the ground for many days and in (I think) 2006 an inch on my birthday (the 28th) stayed on

the ground for about a week so that's into March!

Cannot believe you're writing off winter on January 19th when the best snowfall locally for many years has literally just happened!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Depends on how cold the air/ground are, in Feb 2009 snow stayed on the ground for many days and in (I think) 2006 an inch on my birthday (the 28th) stayed on

the ground for about a week so that's into March!

Cannot believe you're writing off winter on January 19th when the best snowfall locally for many years has literally just happened!

Happens so often people posting winter over, From what I understand winter is 3 month event that happens every year, During the 3 months we get varying spells of mild/cold, So we got 5/6 weeks of winter to still experience, Add coupe weeks of March which can also be variable, So understand your frustration when people write off winter, happens every year. If anyone saw the BBC program about the classic 62/63 winter, it showed there were mild interludes in that winter, .........Seems at moment there will be mild breakdown . towards end next week with indications of quick return to cold,

Posted

Interesting watching the winter 1963 programme shown earlier on BBC2 which showed that despite it being 'remembered' as 3 months of cold was actually 3 months of cold with a few milder interludes. The mild air attacked from the NW and SW often quite significantly before a renewed cold attack. Just shows that even in the most severe winters there are brief respites. One of the biggest snowfalls was early Feb as well ! For those too young to remember Feb 1987 had bright sunny days and significantly sub zero days resulting in no snow melt. With low dew points it hangs around. Interestingly snow sublimes as well as melts.

Do you know I think summer is over .......

Edited by chapmanslade

Posted

Interesting watching the winter 1963 programme shown earlier on BBC2 which showed that despite it being 'remembered' as 3 months of cold was actually 3 months of cold with a few milder interludes. The mild air attacked from the NW and SW often quite significantly before a renewed cold attack. Just shows that even in the most severe winters there are brief respites. One of the biggest snowfalls was early Feb as well ! For those too young to remember Feb 1987 had bright sunny days and significantly sub zero days resulting in no snow melt. With low dew points it hangs around. Interestingly snow sublimes as well as melts.

Do you know I think summer is over .......

interesting programme now on More4.

Posted

interesting programme now on More4.

Thanks will watch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Why so many programs lately about cold winters,,,,,,,,,,Are we being prepared for something,,,,bad.gif

Posted

Blimey!! Someone from the village said there was a ridiculous amount of traffic!! Been the busiest I have ever seen it in Princetown. The owner of the pub where me, the missus and 2 other friends built our snow family reckons the must be the most photographed snowmen in the country!! Haha!! Here goes, will post again!!

post-18883-0-95906800-1358620118_thumb.j

post-18883-0-00678800-1358620138_thumb.j

Traffic was a nightmare from here to derriford today. mainly due to people parking their cars in the most stupid areas, a journey that normally takes me 20min took nearly 3 times that long!

Posted

Thanks will watch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Why so many programs lately about cold winters,,,,,,,,,,Are we being prepared for something,,,,bad.gif

It's more likely that this year is the 50th anniversary of one of the coldest, iciest and deadly (120 people died as a direct result of the conditions) winters the UK has ever known.

Posted

Nah, just reminding us of the past

Posted

More likely they are 'cashing in' on the present situation. Channel4 doesn't have the same production qualities as BBC, even back in the 60's, but it's interesting & contemporary.

Posted

Nah, just reminding us of the past

They seem to do it every year during the winter! Last winter I remember something being on about the winter of 2010. And I'm also watching this programme on more4!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

One on more 4 is a repeat. But decent.

1.7 degrees in plymouth. Coldest since (my) records began.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

What does the latest NAE show for us? Take it no upgrades then?

Posted

Weather been very much in headlines over past year 12 months , Drought after last winter followed by floods and endless rain, Now snow,,,,,,,If we looking at nostalga how about 1976 type summer heatwave, Now that becoming rareity

Edited by cerneman

Posted

Interesting... The images for 1947 were the same as some I saw earlier for the 1963 programme!

There's only so much footage available. It doe's get recycled.

To edit my post & give credit to BBC, they showed the old 'back in the day' programe, instead of a 2013 compilation. That's where the quality lies.

Edited by kevvo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

NAE 18z looking less good for Cornwall with dew points perhaps a bit too high now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

NAE 18z looking less good for Cornwall with dew points perhaps a bit too high now.

Oh no... Was hoping Cornwall was going to get a good dumping. Hope this changes

Posted

There's only so much footage available. It doe's get recycled.

To edit my post & give credit to BBC, they showed the old 'back in the day' programe, instead of a 2013 compilation. That's where the quality lies.

I know, just think that it's strange that they use 1963 images for 1947. But yeah, was good to see all original footage etc!