Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 3/2/13 onwards.

Posted

Is it safe in here now?

Ha, it’s never safe in here, its full of men using model analysis as a substitute for war, Currently it’s the war on GFS, as the massive army of the USOE (United supporters of ECM) try to crush the tiny GFS insurrection into oblivion by using black propaganda to smear GFS freedom fighters, the group otherwise known as the GDL, (GFS defence league) and their leader Ian Brown (known as the Brown B’stard to his supporters and even more unsavoury names to his enemies), by labelling them as warmest terrorists and Easterly deniers.

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

That's a bold prediction Fred obviously the upstream pattern is far better on todays GFS runs at days 9-10 but can we place much faith in that given the GFS performance ? Low heights to the NW and toppling Azores High must be favourite.

Hi Ian

Not bold inasmuch I have always plumped for descending winter with feb being coldest winter month by some way. The dates are something I tend to add during start of each month for 'notable' weather periods a la I did in Jan 16-22. I disagree re what's fav...I think the retrograde signal is the stronger player here.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

If the GFS gets that right, will its reputation improve?

I'm looking at the current GFS run and as far as i can see there is at no point an Easterly over the UK upto and including T144.

Would I be right in saying that, were it to verify out to this time.....and hence go on to "smell the coffee"..... then that would surely somewhat knock the reputation of the ECM with its persistence with an Easterly through this period?

No its got some improving to do to achieve that...and I said nothing about it being right upto t144, I'm talking longer term re smelling the coffee.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

No its got some improving to do to achieve that...and I said nothing about it being right upto t144, I'm talking longer term re smelling the coffee.

BFTP

That's fair enough BTFP....I was just coming from the angle of to get where it seemed to be developing things in the longer term, then things might have to develop in the shorter term the way it's showing them to be.

So your money's still on an easterly of some form or another hitting us over the next few days?

Posted

The GFS 12hrs has a sharper trough to the west with trough disruption likely to occur further west.

It's only taken the GFS about 20 runs to come into line!!!

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please

That low off the eastern seaboard is much deeper leading to better amplification hopefullyhttp://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=108&mode=0&carte=1

Not only deeper but further west!!

Posted

You can see here the importance of that low off the eastern USA, when the ECM was going for this set up a few days ago it was the only model deepening that low which downstream helped to sharpen the trough to the west of the UK.

Hence until we saw a resolution with that upstream pattern then we wouldn't know which model/s had called the pattern correct for Europe.

Whatever happens post 168hrs on tonights ECM its wiped the floor with all the other global models.

Posted

Yes the GFS appears to now be going for the undercut although its half hearted compared to the EC and UKMO(0z). Uppers don't look great though.

Edit: agree with Nick above, ECM has wiped the floor with every other global model. UKM a close second. NOGAPS third? (In this setup)

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

The GFS 12hrs has a sharper trough to the west with trough disruption likely to occur further west.

It's only taken the GFS about 20 runs to come into line!!!

About bloody time nick!! Mind you should we expect anything else. Your never know it might suprise us one day, Just hope the UKmo and ECm hold firm andno more movement eastwards!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes the GFS appears to now be going for the undercut although its half hearted compared to the EC and UKMO(0z). Uppers don't look great though.

Edit: agree with Nick above, ECM has wiped the floor with every other global model. UKM a close second. NOGAPS third? (In this setup)

I said this during the last cold spell, the GFS really needs looking at. It seems to get the trend right in FI more than it does 96-192 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

in work .whats happening there with the ukmo at 120?

The UKMO looks good too but with the sw futher East.

UW120-21.GIF?05-17

And even better at 144

UW144-21.GIF?05-17

Edited by Pointe La Rue

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

At long last it looks like the GFS has started to come on board with the UKMO and the ECM, and after days of being in what can only be described as some sort of a coma its finally beginning to wake up and smell the coffee.

As others have said many times before on here... its a joke of a model! GFS - YOU FAIL!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

At long last it looks like the GFS has started to come on board with the UKMO and the ECM, and after days of being in what can only be described as some sort of a coma its finally beginning to wake up and smell the coffee.

As others have said many times before on here... its a joke of a model! GFS - YOU FAIL!!

The GFS seems to have a genuine issue handling energy distribution around any pressure rise to the E and NE. No idea why but as Steve has said it doesn't seem to be able to split energy successfully and more often than not sends it all over the top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Great 12z runs so far, Global fail system (GFS) now starts to show the euro solution but not quite but it will continue another classic backtrack, UKMO looks great. Will our next model inconsistency come in regards to the trough disruption on the weekend, most likely.

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

If you like snow then the UKMO 144hrs is excellent. We are seeing differences with the detail re the trough disruption so this will have to wait a while but if I was in the UK and offered the UKMO now I'd take it and run to the nearest sledge shop!

I think the UKMO would also see the cold extended, the question is can this thread survive the shredded nerves to get from 120 to 144hrs !