Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 4th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Stop it! even I'm getting excited now, if this one fails to deliver this forum will have all the appeal of a Tesco's ready meal by this time next week!blum.gif

Neigh chance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

....the coastal lp modelled is by no means nailed in northern extent form as of yet, i think convection is being somewhat underlooked, isobar gradient,uppper 850hpa and to an extent the unstability of air mass are for me begining to look primed for some shower form to increasingly become orgainised banding,and migrateing WELL inland with time perhaps cross region, with more favourable accums,modelled at present. That where my attention id begining to focus...regards...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Is there any chance of a 100 miles shift northward into Hertfordshire? Please just say yes so it puts me out of my misery lol

Posted

Here's the MO warning for Sunday:

"A spell of sleet and snow is expected, starting on Sunday evening in SW England, and affecting southern England more widely on Sunday night and Monday morning. Snow will be accompanied by a strong easterly wind which will accentuate the very cold feel. Accumulations of 3 - 5 cm could occur quite widely over southern counties, and the public are advised to be aware of this wintry hazard. "

and here is the Chief Forecaster's assessment:

"A low pressure system moving up from the Atlantic will come up against the influx of cold air from the north, bringing persistent sleet and snow. At the same time winds will increase, with gusts to 50 MPH on coasts and hills. At this stage there is uncertainty about how far north precipitation will push, and also the extent to which snow will settle on the recently warmed ground, and this warning is likely to be updated. "

and here is the warning map:

post-3098-0-98834300-1362745704.jpg

Looks like my back garden is at risk of snow, but not the front garden. Interesting times ahead I think!

(The bit about my back garden does not form part of the official Met Office warning)

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

heres a brief on what ukmo show 60 and 72

UW60-21.GIF?08-06

UW60-7.GIF?08-06

UW60-594.GIF?08-06

showers north of london falling as light snow from mid morning

risk spreads south as well mid afternoon

UW72-21.GIF?08-06

UW72-7.GIF?08-06

UW72-594.GIF?08-06

snow risk all of the region

precip areas tba

UW96-21.GIF?08-06

this is very close to a big event

more later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I'm especially liking the little deeper coloured bit over my street for Tuesday amsmiliz58.gifblum.gif March iglooshappy.pngcold.gif

Posted

Interesting to see what the 12z GFS brings for our region when it come out this afternoon. We'll also have some more of the hi-res stuff available later - I feel some ramplification clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

I'm so glad it's dull and rainy today, puts me in the mood for snow. Had it been warm and sunny I might not be so excited..... I am VERY excited :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I have been wondering about previous occasions like this which have produced classics. There was one sometime in the late 1890's (just before my timeacute.gif) which produced a spectacular blizzard from a stalled low just off the channel which lasted a couple of days and gave massive snow drifts. It seems that the principle at work was just the same as the upcoming synoptic pattern with very cold arctic air meeting a much moister and warmer airmass just the other side of the channel. But the dividing line is just so close here, it could be an all or nothing situation and we won't know for a while yet. This is only a day or two away as well!smile.png

The March blizzard of 1891 was a candidate for the worst in recorded history in parts of the south of England - particularly the southwest. :)

Guest bjaykent

I have been wondering about previous occasions like this which have produced classics. There was one sometime in the late 1890's (just before my timeacute.gif) which produced a spectacular blizzard from a stalled low just off the channel which lasted a couple of days and gave massive snow drifts. It seems that the principle at work was just the same as the upcoming synoptic pattern with very cold arctic air meeting a much moister and warmer airmass just the other side of the channel. But the dividing line is just so close here, it could be an all or nothing situation and we won't know for a while yet. This is only a day or two away as well!smile.png

LOL at your age you should remember the 1933 event!blum.gif

Posted

Re convection. We are starting to see the GFS convection charts chucking a few good indicators into the mix now,

Convergence along the Channel and just over in France (little red lines)

gfs_layer_eur69.png

gfs_layer_eur72.png

Amazing wet bulb temps at 0-1km with a flow coming straight in our back door:

gfs_thetae_eur72.png

Storm helicity swirling it all about like a food processor!

gfs_srh_eur72.png

gfs_srhl_eur72.png

Here's why it currently shows up along the South coast mostly, it's where all the precipitable water is:

gfs_pw_eur72.png

Again the moisture transport vectors (which direction the precip is heading) gives a good indicator of where it might dump on us:

gfs_mtv_eur72.png

Edited by Coast

Posted

I'm so glad it's dull and rainy today, puts me in the mood for snow. Had it been warm and sunny I might not be so excited..... I am VERY excited smile.png

I loved the sunshine and lovely blue skies early this week, but I sure will never resist snow, especially something like this late in the season as it is. These weather varieties in the space of a week can make Spring a very rewarding and enjoyable timesmile.png

LOL at your age you should remember the 1933 event!blum.gif

blush.pngwink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I loved the sunshine and lovely blue skies early this week, but I sure will never resist snow, especially something like this late in the season as it is. These weather varieties in the space of a week can make Spring a very rewarding and enjoyable timesmile.png

blush.pngwink.png

I'll wish you a happy birthday on April Fools' Day then.wink.png

Posted

The ECM 00Z op run upto T144 (London) shows Monday as the only very cold day (1c). Sunday has a max of 4c, i expect the very cold air isn't expected to reach this far South until Sunday evening. Tuesday sees it turning less cold (3c), Wed's continues the less cold theme 6c and Thurs see's rain forecast with a max of 5c. Rain could possibly turn to snow Sunday afternoon / evening. Mon is dry but cloudy. Tues is also dry but sunny, and Weds see's a chance of sleet / snow showers.

The ECM ensemble mean also agrees with temps becoming less cold from Tuesday.

GFS 06z upto T144 (London)

This also shows the very cold air not reaching this far South until Sunday evening at the earliest. Max for Sun 5c, Mon is very cold 1c, there is the possibility on the GFS that London keeps hold of the very cold air until Tues, max 1c. But then by Wed's it becomes less cold, max 4c, Thurs less colder still, max 6c.

Sunday also see's a chance of rain turning to snow on the GFS. Mon also sees a chance of snow for London from a front coming up from the South coast.. Tuesday looks fairly dry. Wed's could see some scattered light sleet / snow showers. And Thursday see's more general rain arrive.

Overall quite a similar theme from both ECM and GFS. GFS probably with better snow chances. but both agree turning less cold from Tuesday onwards, with the possibility of more general rain on Thurs.

Posted

the incoming low is a funny one

if further north could see some huge snow totals

if goes further south could potentially extend the cold spell

fascinating watching this

PPVM89.gif?31415

mondays fax updated last night

PPVL89.gif?31415

mondays fax updated this morning

see how far north the low has been pushed

tonights and this afternoons runs should be fun smile.png

Posted

I'll wish you a happy birthday on April Fools' Day then.wink.png

I'm getting rumbled - slowly but surelywhistling.giftongue.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Is there any chance of a 100 miles shift northward into Hertfordshire? Please just say yes so it puts me out of my misery lol

funnily enough i'm hoping for the same! monday looks better for us but maybe we will be pleasantly surprised on sunday eve - fingers crossed!

Posted

oops.gif sorry!

You are forgiven...but not forgottenspiteful.gif

I think as John just suggested, in an ideal world we want to see a balance between getting the low far enough north to maximise snow potential for the region as a whole, but still far enough south so that we can squeeze as much out of the cold afterwards as possible so that any snow cover has a chance of staying just that bit longer. We all realistically know that at this time of year it won't take much for the snow to disappear. But hey, it's fun hoping and also being a bit greedy in the processsmile.png

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

It might sound very biased because of my location but in all seriousness, I'm expecting a consistent 'northerly nudge' of this low pressure system. It's been modeled slowly edging Northward by about 30-50 miles every day meaning that by tomorrow, North London southward could see this significant snowfall, and by Sunday, maybe more of Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Suffolk?

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted

Could be an interesting scenario with all the families taking Mothers out for a meal on Sunday. I can see a few cards like this are in order:

snow_skier_skiing_purple_happy_mothers_day_cards-p137676934614678836b21fb_400.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Yellow warning for everyone....aside from me that is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Yellow warning for everyone....aside from me that is

erm...not really everyone

post-15445-0-10132400-1362749382_thumb.j

this is a huge regional thread!