Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Relax people, that storm in the channel will probably re-energize when it hits land, alot more energy will be available on land

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Clouding over here now as the frontal edge of the decaying MCS system is about to hit, 49% humidity and 27ºC. Good to see that line of showers has pepped up.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Those in the south west look to be in prime position this afternoon for the rain there is also an area of heavy rain in parts of Hampshire and Sussex

Posted Image

Both of these systems are moving in a north easterly direction currently

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Not sure why people believe the channel is killing the stuff about 50 miles to the south coast, raintoday seems to show it having moved preffy consistently so far. Once it hits the downs and you get the areas of uplift we shall see what happens.

Seems to be more a north north east push now, even northerly dare I say it. The spread of activity inland (virtually due east) from Biscay over in to france is impressive (and I would add for anyone reading this...I mean the spread/development of activity in an easterly direction over france, not the movement of the general pattern which seems to be more north north east/north).

In perspective, I would say that most of south east, central and west central England have a chance at decent precip amounts and rumbles of thunder now. Intensity, I will let more pro people comment on.

Edit (forgot to say, look over Nates on raintoday to see the extent of the development of the system moving north/north north east off of Biscay...wow!)

Edited by john w

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Some sferics detected about 60km to my west. Could see or hear nothing from here...

Something may be brewing to my south though!

Posted Image

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Those in the south west look to be in prime position this afternoon for the rain there is also an area of heavy rain in parts of Hampshire and Sussex

Posted Image

Both of these systems are moving in a north easterly direction currently

Could be interesting, as they both traverse the areas where temps are currently at 27C+?

Posted

temp has now dropped to 19c from 24c, humidity has shot up by 20% in the last hour ..amazing changes in such a short space of time

What that actually means is the dew point is little changed but as the air temperature has fallen then the 'relative' humidity has increased. The same amount of water is held in the air but as the temperature falls it is relatively more saturated. If it continued to fall all the way down to the dew point fog would form.

All the models, all the forecasts, and did any of them predict storms into the Wet Country this afternoon?Don't think so!The weather is in charge of what it does and it looks like doing something pretty amazing in many areas today/tonight!

Exactly...with talk of it all missing us, predictions 12-16 hours beforehand, without even a solitary cloud in the sky! Exeter airport reporting thunder. That's west enough for me, same track as Tuesday's little brute shall suit me down to the ground :) Although yes, for more serious storms..mainland in firing line again. Over 26k strikes in 90 min in places over there is pretty good going. Gimme half that, job done :)

Posted

Not sure yet. Current thoughts are to stay around here as doesn't look too shabby around the East Mids later on. SE England too far this evening as not free until 5 which is about the time the SE will be seeing there storms.

yeah i guessed youd be staying in the midlands, maybe lincoln would be a good spot as things currently stand

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

Beach has emptied rapidly in Bognor.  A few of them pointed out to sea as they went.  Lightning maybe?

Posted

Beach has emptied rapidly in Bognor.  A few of them pointed out to sea as they went.  Lightning maybe?

looks too misty to spot lightning, prob just the dark bases coming closer

Posted

Lots of low cloud rapidly racing past here - brief convective rain shower, no lightning or thunder yet. Those cells over Le Harve look tasty perhaps for later? Winds really did pickup before its arrival

Edited by MR CB

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nah it's a swarm of lost French locus.Convection fading away here annoyingly. Funny if the forecast goes tits up so that the SW gets all the action and SE zippo.

Posted

Seriously hoping these keep their energy when they get up here tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Not sure if that was thunder on the Bognor webcam or not? (Could've just been a gust of wind.) The last family on the beach are packing up though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Think I could have just heard thunder! not sure but sounded like it from in my bedroom with the window open. next quite high based shower is grazing me now.

drove back from broad list to Exeter at 13:30, saw one decent lightning strike

Posted

low rumbles here - threatening skies.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Places to be right now are Ireland and in a boat in the channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Winds really picked up and it has started to rain. No thunder - but this system could get invigorated by land fall.

19mph gust from nothing 10mins ago

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

First rumble of thunder this year I think in Eastbourne - nice boom...looking good for later

Hoping that will progress due north!