Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st Nov.2013

phil nw.

Posted

The UKMO and GFS do show differences upstream as early as T96hrs, the former does look better at that time. The GFS at T156hrs again looks too flat, we need to see more interaction between the polar jet and that shortwave.

I don't understand that comment Nick? Why/how would it interacting with the jet affect things for the UK please?

Posted

Everything that's bitterly cold or snowy seems to be getting pushed back into FI, that's the only trend I can see this evening.

There was nothing ever forecasted  for bitter cold within the next 7-10 days to start with, cold with below average temps yes.

• Like 2

Posted

Polar Vortex on the move to Scandinavia in November according to the 12z GFS.

Believe it when I see it. Incidentally, is this potential cold spell still being driven by the Aleutian High?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

UKMO is stuck at T96?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I think we just have to come to terms with the fact that although it's going to be cold, even bitter. Its going to be very short lived. People say look for trends. Well the overriding trend is that this high will topple almost immediately.

I'd say the overriding trend at the moment is for colder weather across the UK. We don't know the details yet. The models have continuously modeled cold air reaching the UK in one form or the other for almost a week now.

Whether the high then ends up toppling or building further into Greenland isn't known. Lets get the cold here before worrying about how it's going to break down, eh? Cracking GFS run, though it does seem to go a little crazy with the dissapearing and then re-appearing Greenland High once we get into the low-res.

• Like 4

Posted

The operationals and some of the ensembles did have a decent high topple towards Scandi which would give a chance of some cold in from the east, not a proper Scandi high so I agree with you there. But that won't happen unless the high gets far enough north initially and theres less energy spilling over the top.

I have to say I would be amazed if the high, within the time scale being discussed ended up east of the meridian, north or south of the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

There was nothing ever forecasted  for bitter cold within the next 7-10 days to start with, cold with below average temps yes.

Some runs were going for -8 uppers for parts of the UK, for November that's darn cold.

Posted

I have to say I would be amazed if the high, within the time scale being discussed ended up east of the meridian, north or south of the UK.

I never said it would. But if it topples favourably after the initial cold shot it could still pull in a ne/e flow on the southern flank. For example look at this mornings ECM operational and a few of the GFS operationals from yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Some runs were going for -8 uppers for parts of the UK, for November that's darn cold.

the GFS 12Z still does what are you talking about?

-10 in Scotland, -8 north England and -6 midlands south.

Posted Image

Posted

the GFS 12Z still does what are you talking about?

-10 in Scotland, -8 north England and -6 midlands south.

Posted Image

I was talking about other runs, never said "the 12z" did I?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The main problem with the GFS is once again its too flat and the comments from NOAA have to be taken into account with the polar jet, preferably we want this to engage the shortwave moving east across the Rockies, we don't want a weak feature, the high needs some help to get further north and so we need to see a more developed low with a more favourable tilt.

GEM looks a lot better with the low engaging the polar jet

Posted Image

Hope the GFS is pulling a winter 12/13 shocker here

• Like 3

Posted

GEM looks a lot better with the low engaging the polar jet

Posted Image

Hope the GFS is pulling a winter 12/13 shocker here

Even the NAVGEM is looking better at T96hrs, I think the GFS can go into the cat litter tray this evening. It always does this, picks up the pattern then drops it whilst the others go ahead and then finally comes to its senses after its reputation has been trashed further!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

I was talking about other runs, never said "the 12z" did I?

"Everything that's bitterly cold or snowy seems to be getting pushed back into FI, that's the only trend I can see this evening."

Then you defined that -8 was bitter.

So what is "This evening" if not the 12Z runs?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Even the NAVGEM is looking better at T96hrs, I think the GFS can go into the cat litter tray this evening. It always does this, picks up the pattern then drops it whilst the others go ahead and then finally comes to its senses after its reputation has been trashed further!

I believe it's having a major overhaul next year?

The way I see it is it often picks up the correct pattern in FI before going AWOL in the supposed more reliable timeframes. This suggests that it is in fact a programming error rather than a data issue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

To the more learned posters here, regarding the PV:  What are the background signals, if any, causing the trend over last week or so to model a deeply disrupted PV?  With no SSWs taking place and PV disruption appearing to be more than you would expect in terms of "wobble" in shape/organisation, any idea as to the cause?  

Edit: Weathermaster appears to have beaten me to it!  The answer appears to lie with the state of the stratosphere again, perhaps.

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 2

Posted

"Everything that's bitterly cold or snowy seems to be getting pushed back into FI, that's the only trend I can see this evening."

Then you defined that -8 was bitter.

So what is "This evening" if not the 12Z runs?

I was referring to the 6z Manchester runs I posted not long before. Also everything that is bitter is still in FI, nothing has changed in that regard has it? 6 days to a week away is not reliable things can change.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

sorry people cant post charts but by god do we want the gem to be right

Synoptically it looks great but it doesn't bring very cold T850s in. Only Scotland gets to below -4. I find it hard to believe given the charts to be honest but that's what it is saying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

As i said earlier i dont go by every single run ,but taking all modells over a period of a couple of days and also listening to the professionals in what they say on their extended outlook .i say listen to the professionals simply because they have access to more extended outlook information than us on Net weather do ,yes we can discuss the modells and we have some very knowledgeable Members among us .as for GFS 4runs per day so we will see a big variation in its outputs .we have a fantastic forum ,have a look at others in northern hemisphere we are blessed with ex met and very talented posters .roll on later modell runs what will they show ,but whatever enjoy and have your say and ask those questions ,catch up later .Posted Image

• Like 5