Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well the writing was on the wall the moment the models started shunting everything back East again. 

We've ended up pretty much where we started when the signal for cold was first picked up by the ECM and that is for the cold to stay East of the UK.

I've lost count of the number of times this has happened in the past, pretty much every Winter we get a faux Easterly in the the models, however,  the good thing is that more often than not a Faux Easterly is followed eventually by the real deal.

It's the normal way of things for us to need several bites at the cherry before we hit the jackpot, it's just sad that it's taken us 1/2 of the Winter to get the first failed bite.

It's also Worth bearing in mind that this only ever existed inside a computer model and has yet come to pass...it could flip back again but the odd's are not i favor of that happening. 

I'm hopeful of something colder at the end of the month and into Feb. 

I have a sneaky feeling Feb is going to be colder than average nationwide 

Posted

Just a quick question; with the models moving away from an easterly scenario in the space of 24 hours is it not just as likely to move back in favour? 72hours ago an easterly was nothing but a pipe dream.

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at tonights T72hrs fax chart it doesn't look that bad! I'm still however dubious of how we get from that to the T96hrs UKMO raw output , is the low really going to make that much progress ne against the block, notwithstanding that the UKMO is isolated in its view of which low becomes the main player at T96hrs.

post-1206-0-64714900-1389296878_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted

Good Evening, just had a look at other models (12z ) some differences from our progs for this time next week. We still expect low pressure circulation over Southern Alps (1005mb ) with a strengthening Scandinavian high, even signs of pushing west. The Atlantic low to sink SE rather faster than UKMO and colder upper feeds than ECM indicate. Tomorrows shorter term forecasting system we think will provide a clearer indication if we remain on the right course. C

sorry but could I have that in layman's terms please.
  • Like 1

Posted

Are we saying FI is 120 with regards to the low in the Atlantic and how it progresses? 

Posted ImagePosted Image

The ECM and GEFS are pretty similar past 120 with the low though (sinking south)

I do not think anyone saw the ECM t120 chart coming and proves there may well be

surprises to come still.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

part post 2766....from snowking this morning...hope you don't mind kriss.....Deterministic modelling is not as good as it was at say 0z yesterday but I think some people need to try and get their head around what NWP is trying to model here. Attempting to model the physics of two streams of jet energy travelling in two different directions running in to a blocking high is a ridiculously complex equation. There were various members yesterday trying to impart wisdom from years past to tell everyone that whilst face value model output was looking exceptionally good it would be some days yet before we would be able to determine the final outcome. We see models struggling enough to calculate fairly straightforward situations a week in advance, never mind something like this. When Ian F said yesterday that in terms of ensembles it was essentially a 50/50 split (with just a tad more on to the cooler side of the fence) he wasn't saying that for the sake of it, that really is what you get with situations like this, particularly against the background of how strong the jet stream has been.All I can say is it's a good job I am not a newer member attempting to decipher what on earth is going on because the conflicting messages this morning have been something else. What I would say to any newer members for now is this - wait until the weekend before drawing any major conclusions. The only certainty for now is that temperatures at the surface are going to drop in comparison to recent weeks.

I couldn't agree more.... have you all seen the varience on theme across the models at t+96

post-18134-0-03229600-1389296615_thumb.p

post-18134-0-00219000-1389296638_thumb.p

post-18134-0-00717000-1389296710_thumb.g

post-18134-0-13976300-1389296928_thumb.g

this looks very much like a Shannon entropy to my eyes ....and as ever more runs needed.

• Like 4

Posted

I must be one of what seems to be too few members who is finding the evolution of this pattern fascinating and is enjoying it rather than finding it a mood rollercoaster Posted Image  So much is changing from the pattern of the first half of this winter and for me, just as one illustration, the latest ECM output is underpinning that yet again, irrespective of face value outcomes. 

So much variance evident in the modelling as early as day 5 as illustrated by a few posters this evening already - and the balancing act between the heights to the NE and the attempted trough disruption to the west which the models are finding a complex equation to evaluate after the comparative ease of a tramline zonality conveyor belt so far this winter is a welcome sight to see imo after what we have been used to.

Much to anticipate and watch - as stated this morning. Enjoy, its only the weather Posted Image

Tamara I love you, my thinking exactly, how much more interesting is model viewing now compared to only a few days ago. I have to say what on earth were people expecting after yesterday, did they really think it was just a case of reeling the easterly in, perfect and formed and a straight forward count down from projection to reality, it never happens not ever. Perfect synoptics at 144hrs are useless and while there is a good chance that we may now see nothing but more downgrades from here on in, there is also a chance that it will all slot together as we get into the 72-96hr stage. And even if that does not happen, as the patterns evolve then new possibilities may open up, I think we can see that from how this ECM evolves, it wouldn’t take a great deal of change to develop into a big fat block running from Greenland to way out east. Plus it’s got me really interested in this community again, even if one or two of you drive me mad with your positive, negative, glasses up or tip of nose model viewing methods.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

sorry but could I have that in layman's terms please.

Carinthian is saying the850s shown on the ECM later would be lower than progged and the low on the ukmo further south east.Could be wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

To my untrained eye tonight's ECM looks very strange - low pressure that looks like it wants to sink south or south south east and then moves somewhat northwards again, even at 240z the potential is there to the north with hardly any Atlantic activity in fact a complete area of 'nothingness'. Am I the only one that is thinking the models are really struggling to cope with this evolving pattern?

Always 'ups and downs' when it comes to such a sustained pattern to get to something entirely the opposite.

A lot of watching to be done!

Posted

Ensembles for central Europe suggest ops at the moment on the high side of the mean, significant spread after T120 so still could go either way for the north Italian low, GFS hasn't dropped it that's for sure. Massive uncertainty still.

PS, if you want a laugh, check out T240 pressure ens for Moscow, then you will see real uncertainty!!!

As you say much uncertainty: Did you look at the GFS pressure charts for Oslo!!!

Posted

part post 2766....from snowking this morning...hope you don't mind kriss.....

Deterministic modelling is not as good as it was at say 0z yesterday but I think some people need to try and get their head around what NWP is trying to model here. Attempting to model the physics of two streams of jet energy travelling in two different directions running in to a blocking high is a ridiculously complex equation. There were various members yesterday trying to impart wisdom from years past to tell everyone that whilst face value model output was looking exceptionally good it would be some days yet before we would be able to determine the final outcome. We see models struggling enough to calculate fairly straightforward situations a week in advance, never mind something like this. When Ian F said yesterday that in terms of ensembles it was essentially a 50/50 split (with just a tad more on to the cooler side of the fence) he wasn't saying that for the sake of it, that really is what you get with situations like this, particularly against the background of how strong the jet stream has been.

All I can say is it's a good job I am not a newer member attempting to decipher what on earth is going on because the conflicting messages this morning have been something else. What I would say to any newer members for now is this - wait until the weekend before drawing any major conclusions. The only certainty for now is that temperatures at the surface are going to drop in comparison to recent weeks.

I couldn't agree more.... have you all seen the varience on theme across the models at t+96

Posted Imagegemnh-12-96.png

Posted Imagegfsnh-12-96.png

Posted ImageUN96-12z.gif

Posted ImageECH1-96.gif

this looks very much like a Shannon entropy to my eyes ....and as ever more runs needed.

Bryan thanks for that post, clearly highlighting that the UKMO is the odd one out compared to the ECM/GFS and GEM.

A bit of a push and shove situation with High pressure setting up in the North East and later in the month far down South below the English Channel, Spain and surrounding area inc nr Atlantic.

This will stop the very cold conditions over Scandi coming West and stop any troughs or low pressure coming East, in fact pushing these Lows (pic) North towards Greenland leaving us in the middle with spells of rain and sunny periods with southerly winds for the next week or so... in turn biting heads off Exacta's white Arctic blast!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Tamara I love you, my thinking exactly, how much more interesting is model viewing now compared to only a few days ago. I have to say what on earth were people expecting after yesterday, did they really think it was just a case of reeling the easterly in, perfect and formed and a straight forward count down from projection to reality, it never happens not ever. Perfect synoptics at 144hrs are useless and while there is a good chance that we may now see nothing but more downgrades from here on in, there is also a chance that it will all slot together as we get into the 72-96hr stage. And even if that does not happen, as the patterns evolve then new possibilities may open up, I think we can see that from how this ECM evolves, it wouldn’t take a great deal of change to develop into a big fat block running from Greenland to way out east. Plus it’s got me really interested in this community again, even if one or two of you drive me mad with your positive, negative, glasses up or tip of nose model viewing methods.

I concur wholeheartedly. This is a fascinating set up; it looks as though the Atlantic is finally quietening down and we have a robust looking Scandinavian block setting up. It's only natural that the models are going to offer different solutions from run to run. I think that some people are obsessing too much on each run, and assuming that what is shown will actually end up happening.Yes, this is the model discussion thread and therefore what they show is why we are here, but I think a broader view is required in these setups.I for one am just glad I'm not logging in here every day to find yet another run showing Atlantic LP after LP bringing gales and rain to a country that has had quite enough of that recently!
  • Like 4

Posted

Carinthian is saying the850s shown on the ECM later would be lower than progged and the low on the ukmo further south east.Could be wrong.

Mr C our friend in the know from Austria. He has been pretty much spot on with his thoughts going forward add to that Mr Sussex is also doubting the output it certainly makes for interesting viewing for the rest of this evening and into tomorrow by no means is this possible easterly over.. Edited by london-snow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Cant wait for the 00zs tomorrow .....back to the cold outlookPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Looking at tonights T72hrs fax chart it doesn't look that bad! I'm still however dubious of how we get from that to the T96hrs UKMO raw output , is the low really going to make that much progress ne against the block, notwithstanding that the UKMO is isolated in its view of which low becomes the main player at T96hrs.

Posted Imagefax72s.gif

I think you could say "choc o bloc"

Maybe we are looking to hard, maybe negatively at the model outputs. A couple of nudges West and surely battleground UK scenario. What if this all falls into place that easily?

There you go, positivity.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Posted Image Only one run but be prepared for a poor set of ECM ens upto T240 temp wise.

Change in temp of the Control compared to the 0z run at T228: post-14819-0-28817100-1389298900_thumb.p

The change with respect to the mean, again at T218: post-14819-0-68490000-1389298929_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Posted Image Only one run but be prepared for a poor set of ECM ens upto T240 temp wise.

Change in temp of the Control compared to the 0z run at T228: Posted ImageGetSlideMaps (16).png

The change with respect to the mean, again at T218: Posted ImageGetSlideMaps (15).png

It does look poor but surely T120 is the maximum length to look at currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Change in temp of the Control compared to the 0z run at T228: Posted ImageGetSlideMaps (16).png

The change with respect to the mean, again at T218: Posted ImageGetSlideMaps (15).png

Actually it isn't that bad, the UK is -2C 850s or lower with a mean south easterly wind. Makes the 2m temperatures rather suspect in my opinion.The mean also shows the possibility of a marginal snow event days 5 and 6. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mean centers the low over Corsica in week 2, the UK caught between the Scandi high and the Atlantic high.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

ECMWF ensembles are relatively positive.

Lots of potential for a return to colder synoptics.

The Day 7 Ensemble mean could be a lot worse..

Posted Image

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 7

Posted

Indeed the GEM remains a very good run....again.  Also I'm sort of pleased with the ECM, its yes no yes no yes no.  Now experience has showed that if the pattern were to crumple the models would get onto it and remain onto it....they haven't and are producing unusual and sometimes odd scenarios.  That IMO is a positive sign.BFTP

I think that's a very good point and to be fair it is exactly what Ian F chastised me about earlier. The utterly mad GFS Op run, which decided to create a limpet low that stayed in the mid Atlantic until the 12th of Never was the latest highlight of its many works of obscene fiction.

Posted

ECMWF ensembles are relatively positive.

Lots of potential for a return to colder synoptics.

The Day 7 Ensemble mean could be a lot worse..

Posted Image

very nice mean!!thought it would be a lot worse!!there could be changes for the better tomorrow!the mean charts look very good!!it actually carries on from this mornings and the -4 line is further south!!it actually looks like the operational is a mild outlier at the end!! Edited by shaky