Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

another pdf on the elusive probability using 500mb anomaly charts

Posted Imageupdate on 500mb anomaly charts 2 jan.pdf

I suspect that this will sound crazy with a very powerful PV sat over Eastern Canada/Western Greenland directing a series of lows across the Atlantic straight at us for weeks now, but it looks to me from your 500 mb charts that the pattern whilst being similar has moved between 5 & 10 degrees west. Do you think that this retrogression will be maintained, and if so, how much of a further correction would be needed to bring cold to our neck of the woods? Thanks in advance.

Posted

POSSIBLE MAJOR UPSTREAM DEVELOPMENT!!!

Okay a bit theatrical but everyone knows what I'm like by now!

For those who read my earlier NOAA update they had not used either the GFS 12hrs or NAM 12hrs because they were viewed as being too progressive and flat with the initial development of the low.

The latest NAM has made a  shift in the depth of the low aswell as its track, it only goes upto 84hrs but below is the 12hrs to Monday 00hrs:

Posted Imagenam_namer_084_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Followed by the 18hrs to the same time:

Posted Imagenam_namer_078_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

And the GFS 12hrs to the same time:

Posted Imagegfs_namer_084_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

You can see the GFS is much further east and a lot shallower. Lets hope that the NAM is a good sign before the GFS 18hrs run comes out, hopefully that makes a similar shift.

We want the low to run as far inland as possible so certainly the latest NAM looks nice.

NOAA expected a track and deepening through the eastern Great Lakes so the NAM does support that.

Many thanks for the update nick.. However after spending the last few days watching these upstream developments which seemed to have gone our way we are still being scuppered by those pesky European heights..
  • Like 2

Posted

Many thanks for the update nick.. However after spending the last few days watching these upstream developments which seemed to have gone our way we are still being scuppered by those pesky European heights..

You're welcome, the sticking point is western Europe with the limpet troughing filling but not going anywhere over the UK, to combat that we need to see high pressure to the north further sw to cut off phasing with the PV for as long as possible, the PV also needs to be corrected westwards.

We need to buy as much time as possible so really need the inland runner over the eastern USA, lets just hope that the GFS does a similar shift as the NAM, that still might not be enough but will be a start at least.

• Like 1

Posted

Recent runs shifted it further north - e.g. Welsh uplands; Peak District etc. Very PPN intensity dependant anyway. In any event it's wholly surpassed by far greater forecast concerns / priorities right now, of the watery variety.

oh damn ian that update is like a knife to the heart!!never mind we can only hope!!

Posted

UKMO at 144 hours showing strong height development north of Scandinavia in the region of Svalbard which would be a significant pattern change over the polar regions. There is a strong likelihood of the longwave trough becoming unstuck over the country and eventually squeezed out by a combination of heights building both to the south and northeast aided by an ever weakening polar vortex. Such developments would tie in with the Meto forecast of possible colder conditions during the second half of the month.

In the meantime we have some further damaging weather ahead, but I'm a firm believer that mother nature has a habit of balancing things out to achieve equilibrium state- with this in mind don't be surprised to see what has been an exceptionally volatile period come to a crashing end quite suddenly - but may take a couple of weeks yet.

• Like 6

Posted

oh damn ian that update is like a knife to the heart!!never mind we can only hope!!

...hope indeed that nobody gets killed or injured when the next batch of storms arrive later tonight. Here on the East coast we are still rebuilding sea defences from the severity of the weather. Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

With the GEFS 12z mean turning significantly colder during the second half of the run, it's not surprising to see perturbations as lovely as this small sample, P1 is a stonker....as is P20Posted Image  I would have that right now if it was offered to me..it sure would feel like winter has arrived!Posted Image

There is a God!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Polar Maritime, January 2, 2014 - Off topic
Hidden by Polar Maritime, January 2, 2014 - Off topic

No it's not Posted Image

Can only see it being confined to the highest peaks anyway i would think, 400m+

Edited by Polar Maritime
Posted

...hope indeed that nobody gets killed or injured when the next batch of storms arrive later tonight. Here on the East coast we are still rebuilding sea defences from the severity of the weather.

We have grave concerns for tomorrow here in SW and that includes into the afternoon/eve. Gotta dash - cheers for now.
  • Like 9

Posted

No it's not Posted Image

Can only see it being confined to the highest peaks anyway i would think, 400m+

fax charts looked quiet promising though for snow across the midlands and east anglia with the 528 dam line across those areas!!and everything was shown to be further south and not across the peak district and wales!!
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

As highlighted by many, recent runs of the Ecm looking far less amplified again. Dare I even say the chart for Sun Jan 12th has all the signs of a zonal reset. Those far fetch southwesterly winds not looking great for coldies Posted Image

post-17830-0-35173500-1388699791_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

fax charts looked quiet promising though for snow across the midlands and east anglia with the 528 dam line across those areas!!and everything was shown to be further south and not across the peak district and wales!!

A very much blink and you would miss it affair though,as the next batch of wind/rain sweep in

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

GFS showing possible snow for the Pennines and Scottish Southern Uplands late Saturday into Sunday. Possibly the Lakes too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

18z 'should' be another step forward methinks.  The movement and shape of the LP moving up into Canada will lessen any eastward incursion allowing cold air from our north to invade.  We shall see

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Mr Sussex- 18z GFS has shifted a way back north with the low-

expect the GFS to more or less look like the ECM / UKMO at 132 tonight- which is where FI starts....

S

Except with GFS where FI starts at T48 apparently.

Slightly better upstream with that low and ridge but worse with regards the Arctic high. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

My impression of the 18z Gfs so far is that it looks a lot more exciting for prospects of eventual cold if you run it backwards!

• Like 5

Posted

My impression of the 18z Gfs so far is that it looks a lot more exciting for prospects of eventual cold if you run it backwards!

I was thinking the same thing!! That would be a very cold NE wind wouldn't it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Two improvements on this run, one out West and one to the South. Makes me wonder what it would of looked like if it had modelled the Arctic high as the other models.

I hope more of its ensembles are now onboard with the Atlantic ridge and cut off heights to our North.