Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Quite a few eastily solutions in the latest Ens...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Thanks for that C....some crumbs I guess, but the 33% you quoted means crumbs pretty much sum things up imo.

Yes, the service provider have an award winning success rate. Rarely do we see above 40% over this range. Split 3 ways, either cold, warm or normal, 33% represents an average chance. 40% in this context is highly likely.

c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Quite a few eastily solutions in the latest Ens...

A strong scandi high and maybe a battle ground between east and west over the uk?

• Like 3

Posted

Rather than the hunt for snow and cold, I wouldn't mind a hunt for some dry weather for more than just the odd few hours - like this morning - to give us a chance to dry out.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

CFS gets there in the end.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

In my opinion, there has been a lot of hunting for cold. Almost all the models have painted a mild, wet and windy picture, trending less unsettled with time .

It is going to take a massive shift somewhere for this to change

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The end finally looks to be in sight for the rain with all the ensembles now agreeing on something significantly drier developing from next Tuesday (9th on the London ensemble), the 850's don't look too far away from average so it shouldn't be all that cold either

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Latest NAO update remains unchanged with it staying around neutral during the first half of this month

Posted Image

The latest AO update is now signaling a move to positive then down to neutral after starting negative

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The end finally looks to be in sight for the rain with all the ensembles now agreeing on something significantly drier developing from next Tuesday (9th on the London ensemble), the 850's don't look too far away from average so it shouldn't be all that cold either

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hi Gav,

Regarding both your posts, this would seem to tie in well with the latest Metoffice 16 day forecast so makes sense. Hopefully an end to this barrage of Atlantic dominated storms before some settled weather comes in.

I think anyone searching for cold pre-15th January to happen is going to be very dissappointed. The latest NAO and Ens as posted sum it up quite nicely.

At the moment we are stuck in the same loop as indicated;

3rd January - Atlantic, Wet & Windy

Posted Image

Monday 6th January - Wet & Windy

Posted Image

Saturday 11th - Attack Thwarted, remaining average

Posted Image

Thursday 16th January - Now past the middle of the month, subtle signs showing, but still mild, wet & windy

Posted Image

We are now at Saturday 18th January, and for the UK it remains much of the same, but a deep pool of cold spreads over Europe as the Atlantic barrage is finally held back, & gorwing confidence of a potential Scandi High, so signs of something a little positive if it's cold you are after.

Posted Image

Jet Stream pushed way south:

Posted Image

So with everything summed up from the GFS output, its much of the same for most areas. Feeling chilly, Wet & Windy, with Average or Above Average temperatures.

Obviously all of this is subject to change, but taken at face value, IMHO there is no hope of anything pre-20th January in terms of cold & snow I feel.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Its all looking good for an increase in frequency of cold incursions by mid month and even more wintry 2nd half of January, thanks met office for making my day. There are lots of positives to take from the various models with those gem charts I posted earlier plus a growing number of the gefs perturbations, mogreps must be showing something significantly wintry later in the month :-)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted

Its all looking good for an increase in frequency of cold incursions by mid month and even more wintry 2nd half of January, thanks met office for making my day. There are lots of positives to take from the various models with those gem charts I posted earlier plus a growing number of the gefs ensembles, mogreps must be showing something significantly wintry later in the month :-)

Hi Karl,

Very much agree with that assessment for later on (towards end of month) for a more seasonal period to take effect. It's been/Will be a long wait, but it should get there, question is... Will it be worth it!??!

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 3

Posted

Its all looking good for an increase in frequency of cold incursions by mid month and even more wintry 2nd half of January, thanks met office for making my day. There are lots of positives to take from the various models with those gem charts I posted earlier plus a growing number of the gefs perturbations, mogreps must be showing something significantly wintry later in the month :-)

What have they said to make your day?

• Like 1

Posted

frosty you smash it man!!!funny dude!!I love your optimistic posts and I think we need that in here more often than not, even though half the time the stuff you show does not come off!!
  • Like 3

Posted

What have they said to make your day?

I think Karl would be referring to: (Which tie in nicely to current Ens, charts & LRF's)

Some signals are emerging suggesting that the weather may undergo a change later this month allowing colder conditions to then become increasingly likely. This would increase the risk of some wintry conditions developing during the second half of January.

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 8

Posted

Agh right, I thought he may have had access to some different info from MO.  Wrong thread for discussing their output, but I think it wise to wait for their latest update based on the next ECM32.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

frosty you smash it man!!!funny dude!!I love your optimistic posts and I think we need that in here more often than not, even though half the time the stuff you show does not come off!!

Thanks, I do my best. :- )

Posted

Why are we waiting for their ECM32 update now? This is an issue which constantly arises with certain posters. When cold is suggested via any avenue, be it any various models or the MO, we must always wait for some other juncture. Then once this has passed, we must wait for something else. The Met Offices updates change daily so they are clearly receiving regularly updated information and making judgements based on it - today's updates seems to signify an increased confidence and wider scope (no longer just the North) for wintery weather towards the end of the month.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, the last ECM32 was deemed poor for any cold throughout the next month yet the Met Office are continuing with the theme of increasingly colder weather towards the months end. So indeed we can wait for their next update, but I don't believe it wise to do so. It could show a decrease in the cold signal, a period to rival 1947 and if it does, the Met Office may take a different view to it as they seem to have done this month.

Why can we not just accept what the premier weather organisation the world are saying at this moment and be positive about it without caveats from the same people over and over again. 

The point is the latest MO 16-30 day update wording has not changed and it won't until the latest ECM32 is available. Therefore it seems prudent to wait for this to be analysed and it's content possibly included, before assuming it will continue along the same path.  

Moreover if you want to talk about what they are actually saying, it might be worth reading what they are actually saying, because perhaps not unsurprisingly it is absolutely loaded with if's, but's and maybe's. Therefore nothing can or should be taken for granted imo, either regarding their next update or a return to colder weather from mid month.  Still lots of water to flow under the bridge yet, but that said the signs are rather more positive than they have been for some considerable time.

Edited by shedhead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Wasn't it back on mid December that people were banging on about a cold outlook from the start of the new year ? Erm where's that then as the way I see it nothing has changed and the zonal weather will continue for at least another two weeks. Nothing out to suggest any good news for cold lovers. Write this month off in my book. It's going to be all about mid feb onwards in my eyes.

• Like 3

Posted

How often does the EC32 update?? See this is where I get confused, day 32 what is the point of going out that far if the next day you (Meto)  are gonna change what you predicted for the same day ( now day 31)  yesterday. Or is it more of a trend monitor / predictor than a forecast?? Hope you understand what I am getting at :)

Posted

How often does the EC32 update?? See this is where I get confused, day 32 what is the point of going out that far if the next day you (Meto)  are gonna change what you predicted for the same day ( now day 31)  yesterday. Or is it more of a trend monitor / predictor than a forecast?? Hope you understand what I am getting at Posted Image

Updates every Tuesday and Friday