Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

And where is the cold going to come from, pattern change seems likely in my view post days 9-12 but not a profound one, at least that's where the background signals appear to pointing at the moment, I see very little signal for a change to significant cold followed by snow.

As i  said W.E change to cold Zonal ie N/W flow not West. Not significant cold or snow, it's a start.

• Like 2

This run looks better, WAA into Greenland looks stronger .

If we didn't have the immovable slug AKA Euro high i would tend to agree,the upstream pattern is certainly an improvement with a developing -AO.

The problem is the trough near the UK will just fill and move NE leaving us in no-mans land thanks to that slug.

Temps of 8,9 or even 10 degrees across parts of Germany  Poland and even western ukraine by the 8th of Jan,thats got to be 6 or 7 degrees above the norm,staggering.

Edited by Cecil Hogmanay Melchett
  • Like 1

You can put lipstick on a pig... But yeah, the models this morning have taken a big step backwards imo - from an already poor outlook. We have the NAO fluctuating between neutral and positive from the ens, with the AO showing signs of edging back into positive territory. So that's the teleconnections moving in the wrong direction.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The height anomalies from the extended ecm ens, highlight the problem for the UK in terms of synoptics. Mean trough stubborn to move from the NW. With lower heights over Greenland and into Scandi.

Posted Image

Day 7-12 height anomalies

And notice the euro high? Naefs 0z, broadly inline with the ext ecm, with lower heights to our nw, while eastern Europe sees a fairly positive height anomaly, which translates into fairly mild conditions for most of Europe. Incredibly so, looking at eastern Europe and up into areas of eastern Scandinavia. (day 11-15 height and temp anomaly below)

Posted ImagePosted Image

The mean temp anomaly indicated by GEFS 0z is also reflective of this euro high, with most of Europe in positive, while the UK looks average at best, slightly below in some regions.

Posted Image

Days 8-16 temp anomaly GEFS mean

A very sobering post and the temp anomoly for Europe out to the 18th of January is staggering.Positive anomalies virtually everywhere you look aside from Iceland and Greenland.Always a tell tale giveaway sign of a +AO/NAO.

Edited by Cecil Hogmanay Melchett
  • Like 3

Posted

At t144 on the GFS 06z run this is where we would like to have strong wave 2 activity which would

build heights to our north as per Nick Sussex post earlier. Unfortunately without this the energy and

lows to the nw will move east flattening the pattern as we have seen so often this winter.

With wave 2 amplitude forecast to become much stronger during the second half of January we

would be  likely to see a different outcome should similar synoptics arise.

• Like 1

Posted

A very sobering post and the temp anomoly for Europe out to the 18th of January is staggering.Positive anomalies virtually everywhere you look aside from Iceland and Greenland.Always a tell tale giveaway sign of a +AO/NAO.

Indeed CHM, the lack or Eurasian snow cover is already a concern and if things pan out as progged we may not have much low level snow lying west of the Urals come mid month!!  Clearly the continent will cool down considerably quicker once we change the airmass, but any initial Beasterly is likely to be more gums than teeth...Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the GEM 00z this morning..so I will,Posted Image  it has a lot of potential for coldies with high pressure ridging south from iceland, a scandi trough, atlantic lows further southwest with slider / undercut possibilities and generally it has a proper wintry January look about it beyond T+168 hours, especially for the north with a higher snow & ice risk..I would Bank this Gem run..it screams potential. I am firmly of the opinion that we are heading for a colder outlook, be it cold zonal / arctic / with trough disruption and southerly tracking jet or via high pressure building to the east/se with an increasingly cold continental flow, I can see the current stormy spell gradually running out of steam during the next seven days or so but that doesn't mean we won't have continued low pressure domination and in the meantime there are more disruptive spells, during the next few days and then again early next week.

post-4783-0-09449100-1388658727_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-27246400-1388659076_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-91646200-1388659132_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted

You know we're struggling for cold charts when Frosty is having to dig out charts from the GEM!

Sadly, we are now looking towards late January for anything prolonged cold wise.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

You know we're struggling for cold charts when Frosty is having to dig out charts from the GEM!

Sadly, we are now looking towards late January for anything prolonged cold wise.

I think the Gem is a good model, no matter what it shows, I have used it a lot in the past and it's right up there with the best / worst of them.Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted

It does look very poor to be fair. Can't remember the last time I saw the -5c 850Hpa line pushed a 1000 miles east of Moscow in the depths of Winter, but I'm sure the locals love it given what they normally have to face..Posted Image

Posted Image

Contrast our dire outlook to this blasting down across the Eastern US early next week...-10c 850Hpa line approaching N Florida!!

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Indeed CHM, the lack or Eurasian snow cover is already a concern and if things pan out as progged we may not have much low level snow lying west of the Urals come mid month!!  Clearly the continent will cool down considerably quicker once we change the airmass, but any initial Beasterly is likely to be more gums than teeth...Posted ImageMy ex mother inlaw was all gums but boy could she bite . as far as weather Models the zonal train continues but some signs on horizon of a cooling down eventually .just a hunch but i think this afternoons GFS could give us some cheer after 268 hrs as pressure possibly rises out east ,fingers crossed ,cheers all .Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A poor 06oz GFS and the mostly mild outlook set to continue even into FI. Normal deep FI tease is there of course. The only good sign is the jet is getting more amplified however everything is still in the wrong place for a proper cold blast.

• Like 4

Posted

Potential snow event for this weekend should hopefully come in range of the nae later on this evening!!!might aswell talk about that than the depression of talking about whats going to happen in about 2 weeks time!pretty certain fergie will shed more light on this POTENTIAL event later on!!

Edited by shaky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Excellent post Draztik, sums things up very nicely, if rather depressingly!

Can I ask for a link to your final temp anom charts?

You can get it here but you have to pay

Posted

Looking at current output we "COULD" be in an Easterly flow in a couple of weeks, sign of the the main PV chunk becoming weak and moving West , why at the same time them NE Heights look moving West also in the pattern , would only need about 300 miles further West on current models to have the Uk in a continental flow, wouldn't be cold at first as Europe isn't cold , but 48-72 hour's after setting in the uppers would flood South ...  really do think were on the way to a big pattern change soon ... 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, January 2, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, January 2, 2014 - No reason given

We really need a big change in the weather in North America and Canada. As long as that intense cold keeps pouring into the Atlantic, then we are screwed.Posted Image

• Like 1
Posted

assuming the extended ens are in the right area (and so far this winter, they have been, there is no reason to think that proper cold winter will be paying us a visit for at least the next fortnight and possibly a week thereafter. the only straw for coldies is the 00z ops. of course, this could be the point where the ops make the running and the ens become unreliable but i see no reason to think that this is now. the split that was evident last couple days seems to have drained away somewhat towards the west flow being renewed after a couple of coolish days.it appears to me that our cold chances lie with whatever may transpire high up. the next ec32 due out tonight so we'll see if the control goes blocky again later in jan.

• Like 4

Posted

OK . this is the latest. In the fields of high-resolution variations models, a portal internet service provides short and medium range predictions for snowfall and in -house longer term forecast . Current calulations are for the period 10-24 th January 2014 and is a synoptic prediction for Europe generally.

The first few days will show the Atlantic flow holding temperatures above normal in most of Europe but with temperatures starting to fall to near average values above about 50 N. The jet weakening significantly with some amplification of the flow way out in the Atlantic. Cold air and pressure rises intensifies later in this period. About a 33% expectancy of a fall in pressure to the southwest of the British Isles and into Europe. This phase is crucial if colder air is the be advected from the NE across mainland Europe and the UK. 

C

Thanks for that C....some crumbs I guess, but the 33% you quoted means crumbs pretty much sum things up imo.

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks for that C....some crumbs I guess, but the 33% you quoted means crumbs pretty much sum things up imo.

Is C's latest post a 'downgrade' from him? His posts seemed more bullish re cold and snow a few days ago.

Is C in a weather organisation over there, by the way - seems to indicate sources in many of his posts. Just wondering?