Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Well that was one hell of an airmass from Baffin Bay to survive the Atlantic track across and still produce those snow streamers to low levels. Fair play to all those who scored, just no forcing available for more than a couple of flurries here in north Kildare. Just to highlight how much colder the airmass was than Saturday's, the 850 hPa temps were roughly the same, but this level was around 150 m lower down.

Regarding the incoming storm. It is a classic Shapiro-Keyser setup, therefore I think many people will be surprised by the sting in the tail on THURSDAY. Some areas will see stronger winds then than they will tonight as the back-bent occlusion reaches us. We need to watch water vapour imagery for signs of a stingjet, which could make things interesting across the centre third of the country through the 2nd half of Thursday. Behind that then there looks to be another brief grapple with graupel and snow for some, maybe not quite down to sea level.

Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 2

Posted

What can I say! Unreal conditions here tonight! 09/10 was cold but nothing compared to what we have in Derry over the past 24 hours! Nearly 9 inches of level snow and well over a foot in spots! As i type it's absolute whiteout conditions outside with heavy snow continuing! I would take this any day compared to anything from the east! It's mad to think this is all coming in from the south West but being sourced all the way from north east Canada! Truly remarkable and well worth doing an all nighter last night and tonight. Lol. Some pics below!

post-1251-0-01196900-1421216022_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-88572100-1421216039_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-55379400-1421216064_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-01954200-1421216083_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-13617000-1421216115_thumb.jp

post-1251-0-32852000-1421216140_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

After what appears to have been a quiet night, blizzard conditions have set in here. Full on white out with a huge snow system moving directly west to east from Donegal.

Edit: great photos Ronan. Derry city appears to have been the absolute sweet spot for alligning snow showers. Not too many times Derry city would top the snow tables!

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 2

Posted

Sperrin it's unreal! Starting to think that this will go down in the history books a great snow event! If it keeps snowing then parts of Derry/Donegal could be looking at 40cms come day break!

Edited by ronan
  • Like 1

Posted

This afternoon is going to be interesting. The aassociated precipitation is due to hit at around 2pm with snowfalling on it's leading edge. I wonder how long we can maintain snow from it? Would all the lying snow in the North west reduce dew points enough to prolong it?

• Like 2

Posted

This afternoon is going to be interesting. The aassociated precipitation is due to hit at around 2pm with snowfalling on it's leading edge. I wonder how long we can maintain snow from it? Would all the lying snow in the North west reduce dew points enough to prolong it?

With the wind increasing the snow will not survive and dewpoints will rise all the time. It looks a memorable event in Derry, though it's a pity Magilligan No. 2 is not reporting live snow-depths this morning but both Castlederg and Lough Fea report 6 cm at 7 am.

• Like 1

Posted

Love the snow piled on the fence ronan, def a better winter than last year already

Great Pom. Get the snowman built and in the freezer until Friday.

it's crap snow for building a snow man mountain, still looking good from Friday on, and hopefully for every one this time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Loving your pics! Fab snow amounts. Reports coming in from west of Scottie with heavy snow now too :)

• Like 1

Posted

The morning after the night before. Great scenes. Caught a snap of a robin on my fence this morning as well as a snowy back garden.

post-23159-0-43881100-1421225472_thumb.j

post-23159-0-95447000-1421225485_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I spent all night in work so am in bed now and can't enjoy the snow but I got to watch it most of the night whiteout conditions at times fantastic. Had a tricky drive home though lol. Snow almost level with the kerbs must be a decent 3 inches. Neighbours van shows the depth well

post-20812-0-35266500-1421225466_thumb.j

post-20812-0-07048200-1421225533_thumb.j

post-20812-0-71211500-1421225614_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Snow day here today. All buses in this area suspended.

i could well believe it you guys got a good pasting.

Posted

Alot of rain showing up on the radar from the south west and west coming in.  Anyone know if this will turn to frontal snow before this storm rolls in?

The model thread going a bit crazy about next week with the cold and snow potential.

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't get a lot from this event. An inch would be the height of it but yet they close the local primary school which is just ridiculous.

Derry seemed to win out this time.

• Like 1