Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still very marginal setup. Away from the highest ground this a possible rain to snow event so it's a case of temperature watching and dew point watching. I don't think anyone south from the peak district will see any white stuff just rain and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Still very marginal setup. Away from the highest ground this a possible rain to snow event so it's a case of temperature watching and dew point watching. I don't think anyone south from the peak district will see any white stuff just rain and rain.

Quite agree, there has been another small shift North on all GFS OP/PARA and NMM this morning, meaning your area is closer to the "sweet spot". MetO graphics still showing it to be further south but not sure if those graphics are based on 00z runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Meto just updated their warning. Main focus seems to be on Midlands and Wales although Yorkshire still in the warning area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

What does everyone think the chances of Leeds/Huddersfield seeing accumulating snow are? I think 1-2cm maybe.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What does everyone think the chances of Leeds/Huddersfield seeing accumulating snow are? I think 1-2cm maybe.

Looks like it should reach here. So long as it settles December will have redeemed itself.

Posted

Morning all! I have to leave Huddersfield (upper Longwood area-160m asl) to go to Cambridgeshire (M62/A1 for most of the journey) & will be leaving cambridgeshire 1pm is-hopefully back to Hudds 4 to 4-30pm. Looks to me that any snow will be overnight....not concened re: motor ways but Longwood edge road is STEEP-anyone got any ideas on amounts/timings etc?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Morning all! I have to leave Huddersfield (upper Longwood area-160m asl) to go to Cambridgeshire (M62/A1 for most of the journey) & will be leaving cambridgeshire 1pm is-hopefully back to Hudds 4 to 4-30pm. Looks to me that any snow will be overnight....not concened re: motor ways but Longwood edge road is STEEP-anyone got any ideas on amounts/timings etc?

Front due to arrive after 4pm so don't think you will have a problem, after 6 will be when there could be disruption.

Posted

I think south yorkshire will get maybe 3-5 cm and west yorkshire 1-2 cm. I just can't see enough precipitation for north/east yorkshire so not really expecting anything there.

The wlld card being though that area of showers moving down from the north west on saturday, I think anywhere away from the east coast could see some small accumulations from this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not expecting very much in the way of lying snow here maybe scrape 1cm at most and if the rain is light it probably won't be enough to cool the atmosphere down. Just a case of radar watching to see the track and dew point and temperature watching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Dew points lighter precip and proximity to the coast probably does for any settling snow in Lincolnshire East of The Wolds except further south, where it might be a bit heavier, but the southern ridge, between Lincoln and Grantham, might see some. If it's marginal for us, that usually means sleet or rain. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I think we'll see a couple of cm here - maybe more if the precipitation is a little further north, but we'll see.

Posted

Not expecting very much in the way of lying snow here maybe scrape 1cm at most and if the rain is light it probably won't be enough to cool the atmosphere down. Just a case of radar watching to see the track and dew point and temperature watching.

Personally think our problem is not the marginality but rather the strength and track of precipitation. If precipitation actually reaches here then I think we should be pleased with 3cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Im still excited this morning, its still possible for us to see it. The met office page for Ranmoor (my nearest official station) is now saying heavy snow between 9pm and 1am so i think should get a few cm from that. Ranmoor is at 197m ASL it says.

Weve then got the front/showers to look forward to on Saturday too which could give a further covering, but at the very least will be nice to see snow in the daylight tomorrow. Met office saying this will be snow inland.

Its great looking at the next few days temps aswell, barely getting above freezing so im hoping for an ice day or two up where i am, especialy if theres snow on the ground :)

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

Hi All,

A really difficult one to call this one.

Normally from my limited experience the eastern side of the Pennines does well when precipitation is coming in from an associated system from the SW. The Pennines have an uplifting effect that enhances the precipitation. So Chesterfield / Sheffield do well as well as into W.Yorks but the big question is will the heavy stuff reach here? The NMM says yes and the EURO 4 says not the heavy stuff .......now which one do we trust most. I know which one I would choose!

According to the NMM Sheffield would be the sweet spot.....but we all know this is nowcasting.

Whichever....gripping stuff for us weather fanatics!

Posted

Im still excited this morning, its still possible for us to see it. The met office page for Ranmoor (my nearest official station) is now saying heavy snow between 9pm and 1am so i think should get a few cm from that. Ranmoor is at 197m ASL it says.

Weve then got the front/showers to look forward to on Saturday too which could give a further covering, but at the very least will be nice to see snow in the daylight tomorrow. Met office saying this will be snow inland.

Its great looking at the next few days temps aswell, barely getting above freezing so im hoping for an ice day or two up where i am, especialy if theres snow on the ground :)

What ever happens at least we get a good 24 hours of radar watching : ) 

I'm just keeping an eye on how far north the precipitation can get in these early stages, if any of the heavy stuff passes north of derry ireland/ isle of man we could be in.

Posted

Hi All,

A really difficult one to call this one.

Normally from my limited experience the eastern side of the Pennines does well when precipitation is coming in from an associated system from the SW. The Pennines have an uplifting effect that enhances the precipitation. So Chesterfield / Sheffield do well as well as into W.Yorks but the big question is will the heavy stuff reach here? The NMM says yes and the EURO 4 says not the heavy stuff .......now which one do we trust most. I know which one I would choose!

According to the NMM Sheffield would be the sweet spot.....but we all know this is nowcasting.

Whichever....gripping stuff for us weather fanatics!

Would put more faith into the NMM personally but I've seen both models be wrong on more than one occasion in the past.

Posted

6z update on xcweather comically gives me around 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

What ever happens at least we get a good 24 hours of radar watching : ) 

I'm just keeping an eye on how far north the precipitation can get in these early stages, if any of the heavy stuff passes north of derry ireland/ isle of man we could be in.

Absolutely :D These are days when it really is great to be a weather enthusiast. Its going to be fun tonight watching the radar.

Its looking good so far over in Ireland, front covering all of Northern Ireland and its already all sleet and some snow already over there (using NW type radar). Hills of Wales also showing sleet. I think were in :D

• Like 1

Posted

6z update on xcweather comically gives me around 10cm.

Ditto here - with temps generally below freezing until Thurs/Friday next week. Would be nice.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Absolutely :D These are days when it really is great to be a weather enthusiast. Its going to be fun tonight watching the radar.

Its looking good so far over in Ireland, front covering all of Northern Ireland and its already all sleet and some snow already over there (using NW type radar). Hills of Wales also showing sleet. I think were in :D

It's definatly looking good for you and with your altitude : ). I'll take a good dusting and seeing snow falling now, but as ever we always want more lol.