Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

That was 1 hell of a wake up call! Very loud rumble of thunder and now big hail

• Like 1

That was 1 hell of a wake up call! Very loud rumble of thunder and now big hail

Who's next on the wake-up call? :D You can see the squall line on the radar moving through, must be a trough.

I love the way the Met-O forecast for Thursday night into Friday for the south of Scotland has gone from "possible hill snow" to "rain or snow" to "sleet or snow". I have to admit that my ramp is quietly getting polished this morning.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Beginning to blow a little here now too...

Overnight fax paints the picture well and satellite shows the convective cells amassed out west and waiting to charge through.

post-7292-0-35012200-1418190529_thumb.gipost-7292-0-47705300-1418190530_thumb.jppost-7292-0-14863600-1418190902_thumb.jp

This link is a great watch for sferics, turn stations on and you get a great 'star wars' type display every time there is a hit.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Gust approaching 60mph at sea level in places now, overnight easily over 100mph from stations at altitude.

EDIT - from twitter - Skye Bridge shut earlier due to 76.1mph gust.

post-7292-0-30973900-1418191445_thumb.pn

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

yep Ally and cscrim that thunder was loud! Id just woken up and thought 'what was that flash outside' and then boom the thunder! 

3C and heavy rain here. Drive safe everyone out and about  :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wee dusting of snaw here.

Well, more if you take a dusting and blow it into wee mini drifts against the house and stuff.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

A deceptive morning here, temp is now up to 2.5ºC and it looks mostly wet on the ground. However, I've been out with the dogs and have seen that there are some parts with a very thick coating of ice and frost. Radio reporting various problems with this in the Borders, cars off the road, etc.

Posted

I'm not ashamed to say I may have roared a wee bit at 0530 when the crack sounded like the house was falling down.....

Absolutely wild here. Our fair weather dog has soundly refused to go out in the garden for a pee and is away up to bunker down on our bed. Kids are also trying to pull a fast one saying they can't possibly walk to school in that. Eh, they can.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning campers! Well that was an interesting night, sleet, hail, thunder and lightning, oh, and a wee bit o' wind flung in for good measure! Had a couple of power cuts during the night too, but wind picking up again. Still no mobile or telly signal, so it's the wireless for me today. Stay safe all!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Scary thunder but more frightening is lack of snow....bitterly cold walking in that wind....muff required big time for school run OTR

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all, I was wrong about the showers not reaching me, they have. Rain here @ 3.6c but Leuchars reporting a rain/snow mix at 7am with temp 1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rain here too for now. More later I think, although I'm out and about later today and evening! Eek!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

We have a light dusting of snow on the grass, doesn't look as though it's going to snow for a while, as the sky is clear, apart from a few grey clouds blowing about on the wind.

• Like 2

I think LS noted that there would be a "warmer" interlude this morning. Anyone expecting snow away from the upland north is maybe a little overenthusiastic this morning. Any action should kick off later tonight into tomorrow. 

Euro4 chart for around 2hrs ago now:

post-2844-0-09465500-1418199422_thumb.gi

Here's the link if you would like a wee shufty:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=euro4&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=6&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Judging by the latest FAX charts the weather warning for snow for Thursday into Friday will be revised south at some point later today (usually mid-morning for the updates). The Euro4 doesn't even bring the precip to the Border, although this might be different in frames past it's limit of +48hrs.

The latest TAF for Glasgow Airport is a busy read this morning, gusty winds, heavy rain showers, thunder, hail, sleet, two kitchen sinks but no out and out snow:

TAF AMD EGPF 100759Z 1008/1106 25017KT 9999 SCT028 TEMPO 1008/1106
26022G34KT 6000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1008/1010 27028G45KT 2000 TSGS
+SHRA BKN010CB PROB30 TEMPO 1010/1018 27028G45KT 4000 SHRAGS
SHRASN BKN010CB PROB40 TEMPO 1018/1106 2000 SHRASN SHRAGS
BKN008CB =
Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I must be living in a different country from everyone else! Temperature here is currently 4.7C, clear skies, 0mm of rain, a bit breezy looking. Nothing like everyone else is reporting. Wife has stolen my car (4x4) this morning to go to work in Hunty too.

Posted

Do we have anyone on the Kilted thread from Mull of Kintyre? I've got a friend who I rarely hear from but I got a text from him at 7.30 this morning. He lives right on the coast near a village called Clachan, which is about 10 miles south or Tarbert. I'm quoting him directly.

"ye should see it gales waves lightning snow hail an a full moon therell be midges next hope yer braw and inside"

• Like 4

Posted

I think LS noted that there would be a "warmer" interlude this morning. Anyone expecting snow away from the upland north is maybe a little overenthusiastic this morning. Any action should kick off later tonight into tomorrow. 

Judging by the latest FAX charts the weather warning for snow for Thursday into Friday will be revised south at some point later today (usually mid-morning for the updates).

Further south than East Ayrshire / South Lanarkshire?

Left Darvel 140m it was 4.6 Deg and raining.

Arrived Prestwick at sea level and it's 3.5Deg and sleet.

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 1