Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cold & very windy now. But the radar seems to be over-egging the intensity of the showers - there is rain, but not the psychedelic stuff suggested.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Huge crack of thunder in Glasgow about 10 minutes ago. Sounded like an explosion, must've been a lightning strike not too far away.

• Like 1

Further south than East Ayrshire / South Lanarkshire?

Left Darvel 140m it was 4.6 Deg and raining.

Arrived Prestwick at sea level and it's 3.5Deg and sleet.

The precip for Thursday night into Friday looks like it will struggle to make it East Cumbria (going by the Euro4). It'll be interesting to see what the Met-O take on it is.

Plenty of shower action between now and then though, although Darvel may be borderline for a dump of snow, I can't really tell either way. I don't want to say that it will snow and leave you disappointed. I think it's 50/50 for you in your location. If you were a bit higher up or a bit further inland then aye, you'd be fine. Too close to Ross B's Killiesnowshield for comfort lol :D

Posted

The precip for Thursday night into Friday looks like it will struggle to make it East Cumbria (going by the Euro4). It'll be interesting to see what the Met-O take on it is.

Plenty of shower action between now and then though, although Darvel may be borderline for a dump of snow, I can't really tell either way. I don't want to say that it will snow and leave you disappointed. I think it's 50/50 for you in your location. If you were a bit higher up or a bit further inland then aye, you'd be fine. Too close to Ross B's Killiesnowshield for comfort lol :D

Being originally from Killie I am familiar with the snowshield!

We normally do OK here though.

If it doesn't snow at my level a 10min drive takes me over 300m up to the TV mast.

I'm off tomorrow and Friday and the kids are at school so I may have to go on the hunt.

Will see what the MetO say later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sky looking pretty red to the west here this morning.

What was that old shepherd's saying?

Sky looking pretty red to the west here this morning.

What was that old shepherd's saying?

I think it went along the lines of "Red sky in the morning, six inches of snow by midnight".

I saw the red sky here too, always a good sign. The most intense red sky I've ever seen was before the big snowstorm on the 27th Dec 2000 (or thereabouts).

Here's the full set of Euro4 precip type charts, followed by the snow accumulation chart. To put the snow accumulation in perspective I've added the precip accumulation chart too. Some high precip totals, 30mm+ in 48 hours in some areas, up to 44mm in parts of the south. If that falls mostly as snow...

post-2844-0-84564300-1418201329_thumb.gipost-2844-0-55519300-1418201335_thumb.gipost-2844-0-52569900-1418201336_thumb.gipost-2844-0-58352200-1418201337_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-74539600-1418201333_thumb.gipost-2844-0-75061200-1418201334_thumb.gipost-2844-0-81093000-1418201340_thumb.gipost-2844-0-27944200-1418201338_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-59891900-1418201337_thumb.gipost-2844-0-57058700-1418201341_thumb.gi

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I got up at 4am and thought it must have missed us as there was no wind or rain or anything else. The barometer was steady.  Went back to bed and started drifting off and then around 4.45am heard really heavy rain against the window.   It sounded as if it was a squall?  because then it turned to heavy wet snow.   Just drifting off again and then an almighty bang!   I don't think I have ever heard thunder like that before.

So I have kinda lost the thread on things.   Is there more to come?  2.5c/1.5c/16mph/45mph gust at 5.41am and pressure at 995mb which is where it has been since last night.

I got up at 4am and thought it must have missed us as there was no wind or rain or anything else. The barometer was steady.  Went back to bed and started drifting off and then around 4.45am heard really heavy rain against the window.   It sounded as if it was a squall?  because then it turned to heavy wet snow.   Just drifting off again and then an almighty bang!   I don't think I have ever heard thunder like that before.

So I have kinda lost the thread on things.   Is there more to come?  2.5c/1.5c/16mph/45mph gust at 5.41am and pressure at 995mb which is where it has been since last night.

There should be plenty more of everything to come. Hopefully that was only a wee taster :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The line of heavy showers just moving through East Lothian now, pretty double rainbow against the dark ominous clouds lit by the red sky in the east. It's coming

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I woke up through the night and it was a blizzard of big white flakes, lying to about 3". Got up at half 8 and it was raining and just a powdering of white left. Not moaning (for once) because we have to get hubby to the hosp today. After 4pm it can snow for a week though  :)

• Like 1

Posted

It woke me and the little. I honestly thought somebody was trying to get in the house. What a fright. Little ended up in my bed and I'm pretty sure the dog was howling "let me in there too" lol
  • Like 1

Where is the freezing level this morning? I assume it is about 100/200m.

It's considerably higher than that at the moment:

post-2844-0-14815500-1418203279_thumb.pn

By comparison, at the same time of the morning tomorrow:

post-2844-0-84101700-1418203423_thumb.pn

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wow after that red hue in the sky it was solid black and then I was drooked☔℠soaked after the school walk!! I can only wonder how it's going to be later. Time for a hot cuppa.

Posted

Was a covering of snow up at the hoose when I left earlier, not anything near troublesome though. Nothing much other than a biting wind and sleet once you get below the 200m(ish) mark. Heavy snow (the horizontal stuff) on my commute to inverness earlier with lightening outlining the hills through the snow, pretty stunning really

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Sleety rain here at the moment and it's a bit windy. Heard the thunder at 5.30. I have one poorly child (vomiting bug yuk) so the moaning of the wind was somewhat diminished by the moaning of my 6yo. When I took the other one down to catch the school bus it was 2.0c and felt colder.

Posted

Think layer of slush\wet snaw earlier, complete with thunder and lighting at 5:30 which woke the kids. Left at 8:10am to take 2 eldest to school and lightning struck pylon across road from us.

Not nice out there so take care if you are out and about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Wow after that red hue in the sky it was solid black and then I was drooked☔℠soaked after the school walk!! I can only wonder how it's going to be later. Time for a hot cuppa.

I just missed it, never does for a weather forecaster to get absolutely soaked if you can avoid it. Like leaving the washing out when it rains. Neighbours might think you're rubbish

• Like 6

Posted

3c here now and not a sign of a flake. Bit of a sleety drizzle at the moment, the light is strange and the wind has dropped quite a bit since the horrendous school run!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I may have been just a little hasty earlier. Once it got lighter and I got outside I think we probably had a sleety shower at some point during the night as there were still remnants in places, but only if you looked hard. Bennachie to the west was speckled with what again looked like the remnants of some very wet snow. Work colleague reported "maybe an inch" of snow in Inch (no joke intended) this morning. Some light precipitation trying to make it as far as Dyce/Aberdeen at the moment but it looks like it's just rain.

I just missed it, never does for a weather forecaster to get absolutely soaked if you can avoid it. Like leaving the washing out when it rains. Neighbours might think you're rubbish

Double trouble for you on the washing then. Not only do you end up with soggy clothes to take in, but you need to wait until it's dark to avoid anyone pointing and laughing. Love it :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Weather is just yuck. Farmer out with the plough

post-863-0-19666100-1418205123_thumb.jpg

• Like 4