Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

3c here now and not a sign of a flake. Bit of a sleety drizzle at the moment, the light is strange and the wind has dropped quite a bit since the horrendous school run!

In the space of 5 minutes, it's now really dark, blowing a gale and some decent sleet  :cold:

Latest ECM has more of the same, low pressures toppling over the high pressure. It doesn't look as potent further out but plenty of reasonable snow chances in the next ten days, the further north and higher you are then the better but anywhere could see snow at some point.

Posted

Hey folks!

Might as well add my update... nothing but wet yucky stuff at the mo, but fingers crossed for some action later on!

Was woken up at about 6:30 or so by a hellava bang! - Thought to myself, no way was that thunder... but turns out it was :)

Cheers!

Tim

• Like 1

Posted

Stormiest morning of the winter so far but with the small rise in temperature overnight the only lying snow remaining is in the usual frosty shaded areas. Side roads very icy too this morning.

.Fantastic show of lightning early this morning over the Firth to the NW and violent showers of sleet and wet snow just now. Currently 1.7c

Will probably keep cows in and not let them out to neeps as everything is just saturated and the windchill very high.

• Like 1

Edinburgh Airport TAF is going for snow showers between 6pm tonight 6am tomorrow morning. Should be quite interesting if the wind is gusting to 35knts at the same time as forecast:

TAF EGPH 100501Z 1006/1106 22018KT 9999 FEW020 SCT030 TEMPO
1006/1106 24023G35KT 6000 SHRA BKN012 PROB40 TEMPO 1006/1018
25030G45KT 3000 SHRASN BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 1018/1106 2000 SHSN
BKN006 =

Posted

Edinburgh Airport TAF is going for snow showers between 6pm tonight 6am tomorrow morning. Should be quite interesting if the wind is gusting to 35knts at the same time as forecast:

Just when I was tempted to lose hope :-) Hard to imagine snow showers this morning as it's so damn miserable out there LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Pretty heavy snaw at Soutra on my way to work. Wild.

Looked like this.

Was wet sleety snaw all the way to Pathhead, but only sticking from Fala upwards.

post-9421-0-89253000-1418206953_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

I urge a cautious ramp :)

Understood :-)

Last winter was so awful I'm allowing myself to get marginally excited by a 'potential' rain to snow event and the prospect of a slushy wet mess!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Latest GFS keeps the 'nearly winter' theme going, following on from the ECM earlier. Nowt too shabby about it given the lack of northern blocking in the right places for us to benefit.

Edit: Temp has fallen from 5.1ºC to 3.5ºC in a short space of time. Shower incoming, please let it be sleet :D :D :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After yesterday's rain washed away the snow at the Braemar snow gate its starting to lay again

http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Hail, rain and what might be wet snow.here now. It's melting when it hits the floor though.

Posted

The hail is pelting down in Linlithgow just now. Not a nice day to be out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Getting cloudier and darker again. Something incoming, still pretty windy.

Posted

I'm worried that it's out so early. Historically never been a great sign for here LOL

I knew it wasn't a great sign LOL

www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

After yesterday's rain washed away the snow at the Braemar snow gate its starting to lay again

http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/

Don't know if it was when you posted but the gate is now shut. Not a surprise if you look at the Glenshee Ski area webcam...http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee (that's if you can actually see anything),

Brief shower of sleety stuff in Dyce but back to blue skies again now. Wife texted earlier from work in Huntly "Snowing well outside".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

It's sticking a bit nowpost-22904-0-77727300-1418212243_thumb.j

• Like 1

As expected/guessed the weather warning for early Friday has been revised a long way south. I've gone from being to the south of the original warning, to inside the northern limit of the new warning:

A weather system will cross to the south of this region early on Friday. This will bring rain to many areas but snow is likely over some of the higher ground, such as the Pennines and Southern Uplands, and rain may turn to snow at lower levels before it clears eastwards. The snow may be heavy in places, possibly giving 2-5 cm at low levels and maybe 10 cm or more above around 200 m. Following clearance, there is also the risk of widespread ice on untreated surfaces in time for the morning rush hour. The public should be aware of the potential of disruption to travel and also of hazardous driving conditions. This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday to move the risk of snow away from the central belt of Scotland and into northern  England.

Full details available here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1418342400&regionName=dg

I'm still not convinced it will come as far north as me, but fingers crossed that it does :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift